"Opera in Koblenz" Top 5 Page for this destination Koblenz by Nemorino
Koblenz Travel Guide: 345 reviews and 824 photos
If you follow the Moselle River 304 kilometers downstream from Metz you will eventually come to the German city of Koblenz, which is where the Moselle flows into the Rhine.
One of these years I would like to take the bicycle route from Metz to Koblenz through the Moselle River Valley.
Both Metz and Koblenz have beautiful small city theaters that were built in the eighteenth century and are still functioning as lively opera and drama venues. Both of these theaters have been lovingly renovated with a view to preserving or restoring the original eighteenth century appearance, while concealing the latest in modern stage machinery above, below and behind the stages.
The Opéra-Théâtre in Metz is the older of the two. It was built between 1738 and 1753. Decades later, the City Theater in Koblenz was built in 1786/87 at the behest of the Prince Elector Clemens Wenzeslaus, who was the ruler of this region at the time. It now has 500 seats. The most recent complete renovation was in 1984/85.
The Marksburg is one of the many castles on the hills overlooking the Rhine River Valley south of Koblenz. I took this photo from the train window in October 2006 on my way from Frankfurt to Koblenz.
Of course I could have claimed that this photo was the result of my consummate skills as a photographer, but actually it came about more or less by accident. At one point I had a perfectly clear view of the Marksburg from the train window, so I immediately raised my camera and pressed the button. The camera, however, was a cheap model which reacted very slowly, and by the time the shutter finally opened there was a tree in the way.
So I thought I had messed up yet another photo until I had a look at it on the screen at home.
From 1819 to 1945 there was a pontoon bridge across the Rhine River, where the ferry boat now runs. It consisted of 36... more travel advice
There is an InterCity train once an hour from Mainz to Koblenz. Half of these are direct trains from Frankfurt am... more travel advice
Nemorino's Related Pages
Koblenz Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Castellum apud confluentes"
- "Koblenz, like my 2nd home"
- "Opera in Koblenz"
- "Where two great rivers meet - Koblenz"
- "koblenz germany"
- "Koblenz, Coblenz, Confluentia"
- "A Day in Koblenz"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Koblenz
- Hotels in Koblenz
- Transportation in Koblenz
- Nightlife in Koblenz
- Restaurants in Koblenz
- Shopping in Koblenz
- Warnings and Dangers in Koblenz
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Koblenz
- 14 Reviews
- 43 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 33 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (64)
Have you been to Koblenz?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Koblenz
Photos in KoblenzSee All Photos (43)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paris Intro, 371 reviews, 1540 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 97 reviews, 237 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 61 reviews, 222 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 49 reviews, 175 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marseille Intro, 45 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 56 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulon Intro, 42 reviews, 156 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 32 reviews, 150 photos, 6 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 44 reviews, 125 photos, 1 travelogue
- Zürich Intro, 43 reviews, 126 photos