"Opera in Koblenz" Top 5 Page for this destination Koblenz by Nemorino

Koblenz Travel Guide: 345 reviews and 824 photos

Moselle and Rhine Rivers at Koblenz

If you follow the Moselle River 304 kilometers downstream from Metz you will eventually come to the German city of Koblenz, which is where the Moselle flows into the Rhine.

One of these years I would like to take the bicycle route from Metz to Koblenz through the Moselle River Valley.

Both Metz and Koblenz have beautiful small city theaters that were built in the eighteenth century and are still functioning as lively opera and drama venues. Both of these theaters have been lovingly renovated with a view to preserving or restoring the original eighteenth century appearance, while concealing the latest in modern stage machinery above, below and behind the stages.

The Opéra-Théâtre in Metz is the older of the two. It was built between 1738 and 1753. Decades later, the City Theater in Koblenz was built in 1786/87 at the behest of the Prince Elector Clemens Wenzeslaus, who was the ruler of this region at the time. It now has 500 seats. The most recent complete renovation was in 1984/85.

The Marksburg is one of the many castles on the hills overlooking the Rhine River Valley south of Koblenz. I took this photo from the train window in October 2006 on my way from Frankfurt to Koblenz.

Of course I could have claimed that this photo was the result of my consummate skills as a photographer, but actually it came about more or less by accident. At one point I had a perfectly clear view of the Marksburg from the train window, so I immediately raised my camera and pressed the button. The camera, however, was a cheap model which reacted very slowly, and by the time the shutter finally opened there was a tree in the way.

So I thought I had messed up yet another photo until I had a look at it on the screen at home.

• Last visit to Koblenz: Oct 2006
  • Intro Updated Sep 24, 2013

• Redang's Profile Photo
    Oct 2, 2013 at 2:28 AM

Hi Don: Just a quick question, would you recommend this city?

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Sep 24, 2013 at 2:35 AM

Nice page Don! It always amazes me how we all find different sights in the same city. I wish I had found your "jolly" statues, I really like them!

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Oct 13, 2011 at 5:08 AM

To take the train through the Rhine Valley sounds to be a great and beautiful way to reach Koblenz, and I guess the bicycle route in the Moselle River Vally would be that to.

• kris-t's Profile Photo
    Feb 27, 2011 at 10:01 AM

Don't really know why Collingwood is called "The Chicago Of The North", my guess will be because of the similar nature. Wow! 126 y.o. pontoon bridge!!! It's certainly a record!

• Elisabcn's Profile Photo
    Mar 4, 2010 at 1:29 AM

Thanks Don, I'll check the eventual feasibility of the bike trip. Metz-Koblenz seems too long but maybe I could do the last part. And don't worry: Lesen Sie eine Website in deutscher Sprach wird eine gute Übung für meine ;-)

• alancollins's Profile Photo
    Mar 3, 2010 at 2:23 AM

I have been looking at Koblenz recently, for a possible visit, because of the National Garden Show in 2011.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    May 18, 2009 at 2:27 PM

What a beautiful city, and the history associated with tThe White Rose is fanscinating. Wonderful page!

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Mar 13, 2009 at 2:32 PM

Again another colourful place with lots of beauty :) interesting to see the Holocaust remembered after such a long time!

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Nov 26, 2008 at 4:37 AM

Looks to be a lovely town to visit. I would especially like to see the Florinmarkt and the old castle.

• Cristian_Uluru's Profile Photo
    Jul 12, 2008 at 12:05 PM

Very informative page! I'll spend there two days!!! I found Wurzburg and the Residence amazing! Ciao

Nemorino

“Cars from now on will have to be lighter, smaller, slower, cleaner – and fewer! ”

Badges & Stats in Koblenz

Have you been to Koblenz?

Latest Activity in Koblenz