"Opera in Krefeld" Top 5 Page for this destination Krefeld by Nemorino

Krefeld Travel Guide: 29 reviews and 135 photos

Since Krefeld is an impoverished, de-industrialized city of only 235,000 people, it does not seem like a likely place for an opera company. But somehow, together with the nearby city of Mönchengladbach, Krefeld does manage to put on some excellent opera performances in addition to musicals, drama and ballet.

The opera I saw in Krefeld was Norma by Vincenzo Bellini (1801-1835), with Barbara Dobrzanska in the title role. This is a challenging opera for such a small theater, but I thought they did it very well.

So don’t be put off by the outward appearance of the Krefeld Theater, but go inside and see an opera!

Thus far I have seen performances in fifty-six German opera houses, of which Krefeld was the fifty-fifth. I have listed all of these in an album called Opera Houses in Germany on my VirtualTourist homepage aka profile page.

There are still thirty-two German opera houses that I haven’t been to yet, but I hope to get around to them in the next few years – before their funding dries up.

For some sort of obscure dynastic reasons, Krefeld came under the rule of the Kingdom of Prussia in 1702 and remained Prussian until the founding of the German Empire, when the Prussian king also became the German emperor.

In the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, Krefeld was quite prosperous because of the textile industry, particularly the weaving of velvet and silk cloth. To this day the local papers sometimes refer to Krefeld as “the Silk City”, which is rather mystifying to outsiders.

Update: In October 2012 I posted a note about this Krefeld page in the Miscellaneous Forum here on VirtualTourist:

A weird statistic
Posted: Thu October 18, 2012 12:25 AM CEST
I have just had a look at my stats page and discovered that my most popular VT page, with 59.222 views, is -- Krefeld! (Ahead of Frankfurt and Paris!)

My Krefeld page is quite small (10 tips) and recent (posted last spring) and has only received nine comments so far from VT members.

The only reason I even went to Krefeld was to go to the opera, which was fine, but otherwise it’s just an ordinary impoverished, de-industrialized city, so I can’t imagine where all those views came from. I don’t think there are that many people in the whole world who are even the slightest bit interested in Krefeld.

Have you looked at your stats page lately? Any surprises?

(26 replies at http://forum.virtualtourist.com/discussion-603123-1-1-Travel-0-0-World-discussion.html)

Update March 2013: Paris has finally overtaken Krefeld as my most popular VT page. As of March 24, 2013, my Paris page had 60,472 views. Krefeld was second with a mere 60,287.

• Last visit to Krefeld: Apr 2012
  • Intro Updated Mar 24, 2013

• wise23girl's Profile Photo
    Mar 2, 2014 at 11:01 PM

Glad to hear there is an opera...Be good when the thumbs up stay in place after rating....make it easier to find reviews other than new ones....

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Feb 21, 2014 at 9:32 PM

That is a lot of page views for such a small and "unknown" place as Krefeld. But I can see that it is not increasing much now when google searches don't take you to members travel pages.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
      Feb 22, 2014 at 12:16 AM

Malena, thanks for your visit to my supposedly second most popular page. You are right that we are getting a lot less traffic now that google searches only link to the VT Travel Guides and not to our individual tips and pages.

• alancollins's Profile Photo
    Dec 12, 2013 at 3:51 AM

I have a similar things with stats for hits on really out of the way places that few people are going to visit. I wonder who is clicking the mouse??

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Oct 7, 2013 at 5:04 AM

Amazing there are so many hits for Krefeld as it doesn't look a very interesting place!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
      Oct 8, 2013 at 1:28 AM

The constant clicks on my Krefeld page have stopped, but it is still (statistically) my second most popular page, after Paris and before Frankfurt. My only reason for visiting Krefeld was to go to the opera, but some people stay overnight in Krefeld because it is not far from the Düsseldorf Trade Fair.

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Jan 11, 2013 at 3:39 PM

Reading your tips led me to the forum thread you posted, interesting, as I never go to the misceallenouse forums. You are a good representative of Krefeld :)

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Aug 4, 2012 at 7:50 AM

Another most informative page of yours. It would have been nice to see Krefeld as it looked before the war - the little house looks really interesting. Thank you for the link to the trailer of 'Norma' - it does work and I really appreciated it.

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Jul 29, 2012 at 1:41 AM

When a teenager I was in Krefeld with my dad to look at trams. Didn't get a lasting impression though. So, thanks for your glimpse.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Jul 23, 2012 at 7:45 AM

I like that little brick building but it seems kind of lonely despite (or perhaps because of?) being squashed so close to its neighbours!

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Jun 21, 2012 at 8:24 AM

Pity that a little brick building on your photo is one of the few in Krefeld that have survived the bombings of the Second World War. The monument of Wilhelm II Hohenzollern looks very imposing. I passed by Krefeld many times but never had an opportunity to come in… Now I know what I have missed.

• lmkluque's Profile Photo
    Jun 20, 2012 at 7:11 AM

Two things, doesn't the name change of a hotel mean that it has been sold to another company? How do they do subtitles for a live stage performance?

Nemorino

“Cars from now on will have to be lighter, smaller, slower, cleaner – and fewer! ”

Badges & Stats in Krefeld

Have you been to Krefeld?

Latest Activity in Krefeld