"Opera in Krefeld" Top 5 Page for this destination Krefeld by Nemorino
Krefeld Travel Guide: 29 reviews and 135 photos
Since Krefeld is an impoverished, de-industrialized city of only 235,000 people, it does not seem like a likely place for an opera company. But somehow, together with the nearby city of Mönchengladbach, Krefeld does manage to put on some excellent opera performances in addition to musicals, drama and ballet.
The opera I saw in Krefeld was Norma by Vincenzo Bellini (1801-1835), with Barbara Dobrzanska in the title role. This is a challenging opera for such a small theater, but I thought they did it very well.
So don’t be put off by the outward appearance of the Krefeld Theater, but go inside and see an opera!
Thus far I have seen performances in fifty-six German opera houses, of which Krefeld was the fifty-fifth. I have listed all of these in an album called Opera Houses in Germany on my VirtualTourist homepage aka profile page.
There are still thirty-two German opera houses that I haven’t been to yet, but I hope to get around to them in the next few years – before their funding dries up.
For some sort of obscure dynastic reasons, Krefeld came under the rule of the Kingdom of Prussia in 1702 and remained Prussian until the founding of the German Empire, when the Prussian king also became the German emperor.
In the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, Krefeld was quite prosperous because of the textile industry, particularly the weaving of velvet and silk cloth. To this day the local papers sometimes refer to Krefeld as “the Silk City”, which is rather mystifying to outsiders.
Update: In October 2012 I posted a note about this Krefeld page in the Miscellaneous Forum here on VirtualTourist:
A weird statistic
Posted: Thu October 18, 2012 12:25 AM CEST
I have just had a look at my stats page and discovered that my most popular VT page, with 59.222 views, is -- Krefeld! (Ahead of Frankfurt and Paris!)
My Krefeld page is quite small (10 tips) and recent (posted last spring) and has only received nine comments so far from VT members.
The only reason I even went to Krefeld was to go to the opera, which was fine, but otherwise it’s just an ordinary impoverished, de-industrialized city, so I can’t imagine where all those views came from. I don’t think there are that many people in the whole world who are even the slightest bit interested in Krefeld.
Have you looked at your stats page lately? Any surprises?
(26 replies at http://forum.virtualtourist.com/discussion-603123-1-1-Travel-0-0-World-discussion.html)
Update March 2013: Paris has finally overtaken Krefeld as my most popular VT page. As of March 24, 2013, my Paris page had 60,472 views. Krefeld was second with a mere 60,287.
The current theater building in Krefeld dates from 1963 and looks a bit scruffy from the outside, but the inside is... more travel advice
Unlike the rest of Krefeld, this imposing museum from the year 1897 managed survive the bombings in the Second World War... more travel advice
Nemorino's Related Pages
Krefeld Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Opera in Krefeld"
- "Krefeld, the City Where I Was Born"
- "krefelder zoo"
- "Silk And Velvet And Modern Art"
- "10eke's new Krefeld Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Krefeld
- Hotels in Krefeld
- Transportation in Krefeld
- Restaurants in Krefeld
- Shopping in Krefeld
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Krefeld
- 10 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (98)
Have you been to Krefeld?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Krefeld
Photos in KrefeldSee All Photos (30)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paris Intro, 435 reviews, 1849 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 100 reviews, 253 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 61 reviews, 222 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Besançon Intro, 48 reviews, 202 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Avignon Intro, 46 reviews, 190 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 49 reviews, 175 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marseille Intro, 45 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 56 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulon Intro, 42 reviews, 156 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 32 reviews, 151 photos, 6 travelogues