"Cycling and recycling in Basel" Top 5 Page for this destination Basel by Nemorino
Basel Travel Guide: 516 reviews and 1,419 photos
Before the old Basel Theater was torn down in 1975, parts of the old stage machinery were salvaged and given to the artist Jean Tinguely, who spent two years recycling this old machinery and making it into an elaborate and very entertaining fountain, the Fasnachtbrunnen or Carnival Fountain, on the site of the old theater and right in front of the new one.
The ten machine sculptures in this fountain are kinetic sculptures, meaning that they have moving parts. Amazingly, these are still in good working order after more than thirty years of operation, so somebody must be responsible for keeping them in good repair. (Thanks, whoever you are.) The machines also squirt water, by the way.
For those who want to see more of Tinguely's work, there is an entire museum devoted to his machine sculptures and other artistic creations. The museum is on the other side of the Rhine River, a ways upstream -- not centrally located, but easy to reach by bicycle.
On my most recent visit to Basel I rented a bicycle at the railroad station and spent the afternoon riding around the city and along both sides of the river. It was a beautiful summer day, and lots of other people were out cycling as well.
There are bicycle routes along the Rhine River -- often on both sides -- for the entire distance of 1300 to 1400 kilometers from the source of the Rhine in the Swiss Alps all the way down to the place where it flows into the sea in the Netherlands, near Rotterdam.
Once when I was living in Bern (this was in 1962) I took a seven-week bicycle trip that went partly (but not entirely) along the Rhine, stopping among other places in Basel, Breisach, Kehl, Speyer, Oppenheim, Wiesbaden, Limburg, Siegen, Hagen, Lünen, Amersfoort, Amsterdam, den Haag, Chaam, Antwerpen, Brussels, Namur, Luxembourg, Strasbourg, Basel again and then back to Bern.
I remember that on the return stretch from Strasbourg to Basel I had a strong tailwind, so I covered the distance in about half the time I had expected.
The European Football Championships were just coming to an end when I was in Basel in the summer of 2008, and the "Fan... more travel advice
Photos: 1. Ugly bridge near the station 2. Another ugly bridge Though Basel is in general an attractive city, it is... more travel advice
Nemorino's Related Pages
Basel Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Basel - Switzerland's Gate to the world"
- "Basel - trinational"
- "Cycling and recycling in Basel"
- "BASEL CITY and RHEIN RIVER - SWITZERLAND"
- "Basel: Happy people live here"
- "Beautiful Basel"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Basel
- Hotels in Basel
- Transportation in Basel
- Nightlife in Basel
- Restaurants in Basel
- Shopping in Basel
- Warnings and Dangers in Basel
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Basel
- 21 Reviews
- 57 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 36 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (97)
Have you been to Basel?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Basel
Photos in BaselSee All Photos (57)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paris Intro, 435 reviews, 1848 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 100 reviews, 253 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 61 reviews, 222 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Besançon Intro, 48 reviews, 202 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Avignon Intro, 46 reviews, 190 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 49 reviews, 175 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marseille Intro, 45 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 56 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulon Intro, 42 reviews, 156 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 32 reviews, 151 photos, 6 travelogues