"Changing trains in Spiez" Top 5 Page for this destination Spiez by Nemorino

Spiez Travel Guide: 53 reviews and 149 photos

View from the railroad station in Spiez

Spiez is a popular vacation town on the south shore of Lake Thun, on the railroad line between Thun and Interlaken.

Since all I did in Spiez was to change trains, I can't really claim to have seen much of it, but I did enjoy the fresh air and the views from the station, and I hope to return someday to take a closer look at the historic castle above the harbor.

In addition to frequent train service along the lake shore, it is also possible to travel around on Lake Thun on regularly scheduled boats. And Spiez is conveniently located on two of the Swiss national bicycle routes, numbers 8 and 9.

My brief stop here in Spiez when I was on my way from Frankfurt am Main to Milan in March 2008.

The train I arrived on was a German InterCityExpress, and I left thirty-four minutes later on a Swiss-Italian "Cisalpino" tilting train, which turned south after leaving Spiez and went through the new Lötschberg Basis-Tunnel, which was built from 1998 to 2006 and was opened for full-scale scheduled rail traffic in December 2007.

This new tunnel is about four hundred meters lower than the original Lötschberg tunnel from the year 1913, and it shortens the distance from Spiez to Brig by about ten kilometers.

• Last visit to Spiez: Mar 2008
  • Intro Updated Jun 25, 2012

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Feb 3, 2014 at 11:01 PM

Spiez is such a pretty area!

• lmkluque's Profile Photo
    Jun 25, 2012 at 11:10 AM

I would love to see that castle too! Spiez looks like a fairytale and I would like to take the canoe ride. Interesting info about those tilting trains, never heard of them before.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Jun 15, 2012 at 10:37 AM

That is a beautiful view from the train station!

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Mar 21, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Beautiful mountain views here! We have some tilting trains here in the UK and I have never had a problem with them but I have heard of similar complaints

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Apr 28, 2011 at 11:18 AM

Such an informative page. The tilting trains look great. What incredible views of the mountains from, of all things, the railway station! Train service in Europe is so Superior. USA is shameful, and that's why so many people drive.

• Gillybob's Profile Photo
    Aug 1, 2010 at 8:00 AM

This looks like a great place with wonderful views! Thanks for the visit to my Male Island page! Gillybob greetings

• travelfrosch's Profile Photo
    Apr 20, 2010 at 5:32 PM

Spiez is a pleasant place for an "aufenthalt." Sad the Cisalpino is no more. :-( Cheers, Mark

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Mar 8, 2010 at 11:37 AM

Interesting Spiez transportation tips. Thanks for sharing. Thanks also for visiting our Taiwan travel page. ~ho & pang

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Oct 4, 2009 at 12:16 PM

I think I would have missed the train = the scenery looks magical

• risse73's Profile Photo
    Aug 3, 2009 at 5:41 PM

What a great deal for a three course meal in the dining section of the tilting train! Would love to see more of Europe someday. Don, thanks for re-visiting my Boston page. I'm sorry, it's undone. Will work on it when I get a chance. -Marissa-

Nemorino

“Cars from now on will have to be lighter, smaller, slower, cleaner – and fewer! ”

Badges & Stats in Spiez