"Changing trains in Spiez" Top 5 Page for this destination Spiez by Nemorino
Spiez Travel Guide: 53 reviews and 149 photos
Spiez is a popular vacation town on the south shore of Lake Thun, on the railroad line between Thun and Interlaken.
Since all I did in Spiez was to change trains, I can't really claim to have seen much of it, but I did enjoy the fresh air and the views from the station, and I hope to return someday to take a closer look at the historic castle above the harbor.
In addition to frequent train service along the lake shore, it is also possible to travel around on Lake Thun on regularly scheduled boats. And Spiez is conveniently located on two of the Swiss national bicycle routes, numbers 8 and 9.
My brief stop here in Spiez when I was on my way from Frankfurt am Main to Milan in March 2008.
The train I arrived on was a German InterCityExpress, and I left thirty-four minutes later on a Swiss-Italian "Cisalpino" tilting train, which turned south after leaving Spiez and went through the new Lötschberg Basis-Tunnel, which was built from 1998 to 2006 and was opened for full-scale scheduled rail traffic in December 2007.
This new tunnel is about four hundred meters lower than the original Lötschberg tunnel from the year 1913, and it shortens the distance from Spiez to Brig by about ten kilometers.
The Cisalpino dining cars are run by Italian crews and have the kind of menu you would expect at an Italian (not Swiss)... more travel advice
When you get off the train at Spiez, as at all other Swiss railroad stations that I know of, you will soon find signs... more travel advice
Nemorino's Related Pages
Spiez Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "a great village & castle"
- "Nächste halt, Spiez."
- "Spiez - historical jewel on Thun's lake"
- "Changing trains in Spiez"
- "Picture perfect Spiez"
- "a long time back in my childhood"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Spiez
- Hotels in Spiez
- Transportation in Spiez
- Restaurants in Spiez
- Warnings and Dangers in Spiez
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Spiez
- 4 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 28 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (58)
Have you been to Spiez?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Spiez
Photos in SpiezSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paris Intro, 352 reviews, 1452 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 96 reviews, 234 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 61 reviews, 222 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 49 reviews, 175 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marseille Intro, 45 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 56 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulon Intro, 42 reviews, 156 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 32 reviews, 150 photos, 6 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 44 reviews, 125 photos, 1 travelogue
- Zürich Intro, 43 reviews, 126 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (167)
Latest Spiez hotel reviews
- Seegarten Hotel Marina
- 42 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 13, 2013