"Opera and cycling in Mainz" Top 5 Page for this destination Mainz by Nemorino
Mainz Travel Guide: 327 reviews and 675 photos
Just got back from an opera premiere in Mainz, a fine new production of Der fliegende Holländer (The Flying Dutchman) by Richard Wagner, conducted by General Music Director Catherine Rückwardt. (September 18, 2004.)
Another memorable opera experience for me in Mainz was their production, several years ago, of Lady Macbeth of Mzensk, by Dimitrij Schostakowitsch.
This passionate, violent and beautiful opera was huge success in Leningrad and Moscow when it first came out in 1934 and 1935, but then Stalin saw it and disapproved. He wasn't about to tolerate such a sordid tale of a frustrated young housewife taking an illicit lover and killing her father-in-law and her husband, among other crimes. The opera was immediately banned in the Soviet Union.
People were being executed by the thousands in this period, and how Schostakowitsch managed to survive Stalin's wrath is still not entirely clear. But survive he did, and wrote some great symphonies and chamber music up to his death at age 69 in 1975, but never another great opera.
There was at least one season when both Frankfurt and Mainz had productions of Lady Macbeth of Mzensk in their schedules.
German newspaper columnists sometimes get upset about this, saying neighboring opera houses should coordinate their planning and not both do the same opera in the same year. I hope this never happens, because one of the most exciting things is to be able to see the same opera staged in two completely different ways.
Mainz is right across the the Rhine River from Wiesbaden. Both are state capitals, both have good opera houses, and what I never realized is that they are both just about the same distance from Frankfurt.
I always had the feeling that Mainz was further away, since it is off on the other side of the Rhine, and in a different Land of the German federation -- Land Rhineland-Pfalz, that sounds very far away, somehow, for us residents of Hessen.
But according to a nice website called www.koordinaten.de they are just about the same distance, in fact Mainz is all of 61 meters closer.
They calculate the straight-line distance from the center of Frankfurt to the center of Wiesbaden as being 31.529 km, and Frankfurt to Mainz as being 31.468 km. Both within easy cycling distance, in any case.
Like just about any other place in Mainz and vicinity, the Citadel affords nice views of the cathedral from several... more travel advice
This is the statue of Johannes Gutenberg, the inventor of the printing press, on Gutenbergplatz near the cathedral. He... more travel advice
Nemorino's Related Pages
Mainz Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mainz am Rhein"
- "Opera and cycling in Mainz"
- "Welcome to Mainz"
- "Mainz 57"
- "Willkommen in Mainz - Welcome to Mainz"
- "Mainz - or Meenz as the locals call it"
- "A Historical German City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mainz
- Hotels in Mainz
- Transportation in Mainz
- Nightlife in Mainz
- Restaurants in Mainz
- Shopping in Mainz
- Warnings and Dangers in Mainz
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mainz
- 19 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 42 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (89)
Have you been to Mainz?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mainz
- Posted in Travel Avignon Forum "Re: How do I find the new Avignon..."
- Commented on one of Nemorino's Mainz travel pages
- updated a Mainz Travel Page "Opera and cycling in Mainz"
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Rhine River from Mainspitze"
- Wrote a Review View from the Citadel about Citadel in Mainz Off The Beaten Path
Photos in MainzSee All Photos (25)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paris Intro, 400 reviews, 1672 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 100 reviews, 253 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 61 reviews, 222 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Besançon Intro, 48 reviews, 202 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Avignon Intro, 46 reviews, 190 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 49 reviews, 175 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marseille Intro, 45 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 56 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulon Intro, 42 reviews, 156 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 32 reviews, 151 photos, 6 travelogues