"Opera in Mannheim" Top 5 Page for this destination Mannheim by Nemorino

Mannheim Travel Guide: 203 reviews and 455 photos

If you'd like to see a light-hearted opera with beautiful melodies, lovely duets and a happy end for all but one of the characters, find out if the National Theater in Mannheim happens to be playing Gaetano Donizetti's L'Elisir d'Amore while you are there.

This is actually an ex-Frankfurt production that Mannheim bought the rights to after the Frankfurt Opera had revived it repeatedly over a period of several years.

Yes, there is a character named Nemorino in this opera, sung by a tenor with a classic aria Una furtiva lagrima near the end. Nemorino is rather shy and is spurned by his beloved Adina until he gets a bottle of Doctor Dulcamara's world-famous love potion, which is actually just ordinary red wine.

One of my recent visits to Mannheim was to see an opera called Les Troyens by Hector Berlioz.

This is another example of a HUGE monumental opera that is seldom performed in Germany (or anywhere else as far as I know), but which I managed to see twice in two different productions in the 2003/2004 season.

The first was in Leipzig, where thanks to a timely business trip I was able to attend the premiere of their magnificent production last November.

In Mannheim it was musically just as good, but the staging in Mannheim was unfortunately quite silly and not always comprehensible. (In general I like modern staging if I can make sense of it, and I usually defend the stage directors in post-opera pub discussions, but this time I had to admit it was pretty weak.)

So DO see Les Troyens if you like big operas, but if you have the choice see it in Leipzig and not in Mannheim. (The English National Opera in London is also doing it in September/October 2004, if that is any help.)

Investigation in progress:

As an out-of-towner I don't have any recommendation (yet) about where to go for a drink in Mannheim after the opera. This last time we just had a beer at the station while waiting for our trains, hers was the 23:48 to Mainz and mine was the 23:49 to Frankfurt.

• Last visit to Mannheim: Jul 2009
  • Intro Updated Nov 12, 2013

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Nov 20, 2013 at 9:22 PM

The planetarium and museum Landesmuseum für Technik und Arbeit sounds wonderful! Such striking buildings! Excellent page!

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Nov 12, 2013 at 1:10 AM

A nice interesting page!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
      Nov 12, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Dee, thanks for your visits to my Mannheim and Markt Taschendorf pages.

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Jul 10, 2011 at 4:27 PM

An interesting page about a city I did never visit, but often passed by on my way to Hamburg !

• traveldave's Profile Photo
    Nov 22, 2010 at 10:35 AM

Interesting tips on a city I know little about. I particularly enjoyed your story about the departing trains.

• alancollins's Profile Photo
    Aug 20, 2009 at 1:02 PM

I enjoyed your transport tip of how 1st and 2nd class compartments should line up.

• risse73's Profile Photo
    Jun 18, 2009 at 2:19 PM

Don, thanks for visiting my unfinished DC page. Cupcakes are trendy now. Loved your Mannheim page and especially found Nemorino's struggle with unrequited love and that of "missed connections" at train stations quite human affairs. Cheers! -Marissa-

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Mar 14, 2009 at 7:08 AM

Great page on Mannheim, Don.Those blocks & numbers would so confuse me!I enjoyed your explanationof the Gurs sign. Wonder what the OLD Opera house would have been like?

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Jan 31, 2009 at 12:23 PM

Very interesting page with good pictures. The signpost pointing to Gurs is a good idea to remind people of the grim past. I'm sorry you lost that person on the other train. Perhaps you could try to meet her again?:)

• diocletianvs's Profile Photo
    Jul 12, 2008 at 11:38 PM

Interesting way of naming blocks instead of streets. In Zagreb we still have Mannheimer trams running on our streets, bought as used trams in 1990s. (They are better than ones that came from Mainz.)

• Cristian_Uluru's Profile Photo
    Jul 4, 2008 at 3:46 AM

Fantastic page!!! Only a month and I'll visit this town!!

Nemorino

“Cars from now on will have to be lighter, smaller, slower, cleaner – and fewer! ”

Badges & Stats in Mannheim

Have you been to Mannheim?

Latest Activity in Mannheim