"Opera in Mannheim" Top 5 Page for this destination Mannheim by Nemorino
Mannheim Travel Guide: 203 reviews and 455 photos
If you'd like to see a light-hearted opera with beautiful melodies, lovely duets and a happy end for all but one of the characters, find out if the National Theater in Mannheim happens to be playing Gaetano Donizetti's L'Elisir d'Amore while you are there.
This is actually an ex-Frankfurt production that Mannheim bought the rights to after the Frankfurt Opera had revived it repeatedly over a period of several years.
Yes, there is a character named Nemorino in this opera, sung by a tenor with a classic aria Una furtiva lagrima near the end. Nemorino is rather shy and is spurned by his beloved Adina until he gets a bottle of Doctor Dulcamara's world-famous love potion, which is actually just ordinary red wine.
One of my recent visits to Mannheim was to see an opera called Les Troyens by Hector Berlioz.
This is another example of a HUGE monumental opera that is seldom performed in Germany (or anywhere else as far as I know), but which I managed to see twice in two different productions in the 2003/2004 season.
The first was in Leipzig, where thanks to a timely business trip I was able to attend the premiere of their magnificent production last November.
In Mannheim it was musically just as good, but the staging in Mannheim was unfortunately quite silly and not always comprehensible. (In general I like modern staging if I can make sense of it, and I usually defend the stage directors in post-opera pub discussions, but this time I had to admit it was pretty weak.)
So DO see Les Troyens if you like big operas, but if you have the choice see it in Leipzig and not in Mannheim. (The English National Opera in London is also doing it in September/October 2004, if that is any help.)
Investigation in progress:
As an out-of-towner I don't have any recommendation (yet) about where to go for a drink in Mannheim after the opera. This last time we just had a beer at the station while waiting for our trains, hers was the 23:48 to Mainz and mine was the 23:49 to Frankfurt.
In front of the main railroad station in Mannheim there is a sign which at first glance looks like a perfectly normal... more travel advice
The Neckar is a river that starts in the Black Forest and flows north and northeast for 367 kilometers -- through... more travel advice
Nemorino's Related Pages
Mannheim Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mannheim - a nice place to live in"
- "tessy's new Mannheim Page"
- "Opera in Mannheim"
- "Mannheim - so much more than industrial city :-))"
- "Home Base: Manneheim"
- "Mannheim - a beautiful city"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mannheim
- Hotels in Mannheim
- Transportation in Mannheim
- Nightlife in Mannheim
- Restaurants in Mannheim
- Shopping in Mannheim
- Warnings and Dangers in Mannheim
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mannheim
- 12 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 29 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (62)
Have you been to Mannheim?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mannheim
Photos in MannheimSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paris Intro, 358 reviews, 1478 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 97 reviews, 237 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 61 reviews, 222 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 49 reviews, 175 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marseille Intro, 45 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 56 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulon Intro, 42 reviews, 156 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 32 reviews, 150 photos, 6 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 44 reviews, 125 photos, 1 travelogue
- Zürich Intro, 43 reviews, 126 photos