"A double market town" Markt Bibart by Nemorino
Markt Bibart Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 10 photos
The first mention of Bibart in any document was in the year 816, but it has only been a “Markt” (= market) since the fourteenth century, when the emperor Karl IV (1316-1378) granted the town the privilege of holding regular markets.
Today, because of a quaint Bavarian peculiarity, the official name of Markt Bibart is actually “Markt Markt Bibart”, with the word Markt appearing twice.
There are 386 towns in Bavaria which bear the official (modern) designation of Markt, meaning that they have some slight degree of regional importance, but Markt Bibart is one of a select group of eighteen Bavarian towns (like nearby Markt Taschendorf) that have the word Markt twice in their name. These are towns that were already called Markt in the Middle Ages and have since also acquired the modern designation of Markt as defined in Article 3 of the Municipal Code of the Free State of Bavaria.
All clear? If not, perhaps you can find some nice Bavarian person who can explain this to you.
Nearby towns in the Steiger Forest:
• Scheinfeld, 4 km northeast of Markt Bibart
• Frankfurt, 9 km northeast of Markt Bibart
• Markt Taschendorf, 12 km northeast of Markt Bibart
Location of Markt Bibart on Google Maps
From Markt Bibart there are well-marked hiking and bicycle routes in all directions. I took this car-free bicycle route... more travel advice
The reason I went to Markt Bibart is that this is the closest train station to Frankfurt in the Steiger Forest. The old... more travel advice
Nemorino's Related Pages
Markt Bibart Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Markt Bibart
- 4 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (64)
Have you been to Markt Bibart?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Markt Bibart
- Posted in Travel Frankfurt am Main Forum "Re: Budjet Service Apartment"
- Commented on one of Nemorino's Markt Bibart travel pages
- updated a Markt Bibart Travel Page "A double market town"
- Wrote a Review Car-free bicycle route to Scheinfeld in Markt Bibart Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "Markt Bibart train station"
Photos in Markt BibartSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paris Intro, 371 reviews, 1540 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 97 reviews, 237 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 61 reviews, 222 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 49 reviews, 175 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marseille Intro, 45 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 56 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulon Intro, 42 reviews, 156 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 32 reviews, 150 photos, 6 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 44 reviews, 125 photos, 1 travelogue
- Zürich Intro, 43 reviews, 126 photos