"The Netherlands’ Deep South" Maastricht by Nemorino
Maastricht Travel Guide: 1,269 reviews and 3,261 photos
If you look at a map of the Netherlands, you will see that the country is shaped roughly (very roughly) like a parallelogram.
But if you look at the lower right hand corner of this parallelogram you will see an oddly-shaped appendage dangling like a swollen tail down into a bit of left-over landscape between Belgium and Germany.
This appendage is the landstreek of South Limburg. It is connected to the rest of the Netherlands by a narrow strip of land which at its narrowest point is less than five kilometers wide, just enough space for a river, a harbor (Holtum-Noord), a town, a motorway, a double-track railway, some fields and a patch of woods.
Down towards the bottom, the appendage widens out a bit so there is room for some hills (more hills than in all the rest of the Netherlands put together, in fact) and for the city of Maastricht. This is a pleasant old city of 120,000 people on the banks of the Maas River, better known in French and English as the Meuse.
Maastricht is a lively university city with a high percentage of foreign students. Because of its location It is predestined to be a very international place, since it is only 26 km from the Belgian city of Liège and 30 km from the German city of Aachen, but over 70 km from Venlo, the closest city in the Netherlands with over 100,000 inhabitants.
Indeed Maastricht is best known today as the place where the Treaty of Maastricht was signed by representatives of twelve European countries in 1992, setting the ground rules for the creation of the European Union and the Euro as the common European currency.
People in Maastricht seem to be quite proud of this (even when the Euro is in the throes of some sort of crisis, which it usually is) and there is even a big new square in Maastricht called “Plein 1992” in honor of the Treaty and the Euro.
The Maas, as it is called in Dutch and German (Meuse in French and English), is actually not a very busy river. I seem... more travel advice
In some of my other reviews I have referred to the Centre Céramique simply as “the public library” – which it is, but... more travel advice
Nemorino's Related Pages
Maastricht Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Maastricht: Where life is Good!"
- "Limbourgeois at its best"
- "Maastricht -- beautiful city on the Maas"
- "Not At All What I'd Expected!"
- "The Netherlands’ Deep South"
- "Enjoying the Burgundian Lifestyle"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Maastricht
- Hotels in Maastricht
- Transportation in Maastricht
- Nightlife in Maastricht
- Restaurants in Maastricht
- Shopping in Maastricht
- Warnings and Dangers in Maastricht
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Maastricht
- 30 Reviews
- 109 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 24 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (64)
Have you been to Maastricht?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Maastricht
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paris Intro, 371 reviews, 1540 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 97 reviews, 237 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 61 reviews, 222 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 49 reviews, 175 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marseille Intro, 45 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 56 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulon Intro, 42 reviews, 156 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 32 reviews, 150 photos, 6 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 44 reviews, 125 photos, 1 travelogue
- Zürich Intro, 43 reviews, 126 photos