"Opera in Pforzheim" Top 5 Page for this destination Pforzheim by Nemorino
Pforzheim Travel Guide: 36 reviews and 142 photos
My recent visit to Pforzheim was to see the opera The Marriage of Figaro by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1756-1791). This is a very popular Mozart opera that I have seen numerous times in various different productions, for instance in Frankfurt am Main, Hannover, Bonn, the Bavarian State Opera in Munich and the State Opera in Berlin.
The person who got the most applause at the end of the Pforzheim performance was definitely the guest orchestra conductor Inge Hilsberg, not only because she was very good, but also because a lot of people in the audience knew she had applied for the position of General Music Director, and this performance was her audition.*
What most people didn't know was that this was the first professional performance by a young soprano named Camille Butcher, who is currently a student at the Music University in Karlsruhe. She sang the role of Barbarina and did very well, impressing her older colleagues with her lack of any outward signs of nervousness. So if you ever see her name on the playbill of some big opera house, remember you read about her here first.
Since the eighteenth century Pforzheim has been famous for its jewelry and watchmaking industries, which for many years were the basis of the city's prosperity.
In recent years they have diversified considerably, but to this day Pforzheim still has a Goldsmith and Watchmaking Vocational School which is said to be the only one of its kind in Europe.
And the city still offers numerous opportunities to buy exquisite and expensive gold jewelry, for those who are in the market for that sort of thing.
*Update on December 9, 2007: Subject to approval by the Pforzheim City Council, the new General Music Director will be Markus Huber, who was the sixth and last candidate to conduct an opera performance as an audition.
This is a nondescript hotel in an ugly street, but the woman who runs it is very nice, the rooms are fine and it has a... more travel advice
Regional Express (RE), InterRegio Express (IRE) and InterCity (IC) trains run once or twice an hour in each direction... more travel advice
Nemorino's Related Pages
Pforzheim Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Opera in Pforzheim"
- "Pforzheim: Searching for Gold in a Post-War Desert"
- "Charm of "Goldstadt""
- "City of Gold"
- "cjg1's new Pforzheim Page"
- "Calw - a birthplace of Herman Hesse"
- "Pforzheim, just passing through"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pforzheim
- Hotels in Pforzheim
- Transportation in Pforzheim
- Nightlife in Pforzheim
- Restaurants in Pforzheim
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Pforzheim
- 14 Reviews
- 37 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 36 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (61)
Have you been to Pforzheim?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pforzheim
Photos in PforzheimSee All Photos (37)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paris Intro, 259 reviews, 1023 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 93 reviews, 231 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 61 reviews, 222 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 49 reviews, 175 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marseille Intro, 45 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 56 reviews, 149 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulon Intro, 42 reviews, 156 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 32 reviews, 150 photos, 6 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 44 reviews, 125 photos, 1 travelogue
- Zürich Intro, 43 reviews, 126 photos