"Opera in Innsbruck" Innsbruck by Nemorino

Innsbruck Travel Guide: 1,247 reviews and 2,931 photos

Tiroler Landestheater Innsbruck

This was one of those nights when you learn to appreciate seemingly obvious things. In this case I was really happy about the fact that this theater has a roof on it, because it was pouring rain in Innsbruck the night I was there. Later I heard it was raining even harder in Verona, where I had just come from, and all those folks who wanted to see the open-air performance of Verdi's Aida in the Arena di Verona had a miserable time of it.

My stop-over in Innsbruck was to see a performance of one of the early Mozart operas, Il re pastore, at the Innsbruck Festival of Early Music. This festival is usually devoted to Baroque music, up to around 1750, but this year they made an exception because 2006 was the 250th anniversary of Mozart's birth.

The singer on all their posters this year is the young Italian soprano Raffaella Milanesi in the role of Tamiri in Il re pastore. The photo on the poster shows her sitting at the edge of the stage with her feet dangling into the orchestra pit as she sings her aria Di tante sue procelle from Act 1. (Click on the photo to see this. Sorry I can't provide the audio -- she sounded great!)

Il re pastore (meaning "The Shepard King") was Mozart's tenth opera. He wrote it in 1775, when he was nineteen years old.

Since Innsbruck is more or less surrounded by mountains, it might not seem at first glance to be the ideal bicycle town, but in fact the city itself is located in a large valley and is quite flat, so there is nothing to stop people from using their bikes on a daily basis.

I haven't cycled here myself yet, but hope to do so next year, especially since there is now a large professional bicycle shop which has hundreds of bikes for rent. (See my Transportation Tips for details.)

• Last visit to Innsbruck: Aug 2006
  • Intro Updated Aug 9, 2011

• IreneMcKay's Profile Photo
    Nov 15, 2014 at 4:04 AM

I've been to Innsbruck many times but not recently. Your page brings back memories. We used to like to stay in Jenbach or Maurach not too far away. All the best. Irene

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Nov 9, 2014 at 4:42 AM

Nice page

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Oct 26, 2014 at 11:25 PM

I love Innsbruck! We were there last year.

• Oleg_D.'s Profile Photo
    Jun 30, 2014 at 9:47 PM

Thank you for virtual trip to Innsbruck!

Jul 1, 2014 at 10:14 AM

Oleg, thanks for your ratings on my Innsbruck tips. Since I joined VirtualTourist ten years ago I haven't been to many places in Austria -- only two, in fact, Bregenz and Innsbruck.

• Oleg_D.'s Profile Photo
      Jul 1, 2014 at 11:05 AM

But I never been to Innsbruck. I'm only planning and dreaming. That's why thanks again for virtual tour!

• Jefie's Profile Photo
    Apr 20, 2014 at 5:17 AM

Hey Don! Just thought I'd take a look around you Innsbruck page since I'd really like to go on an Innsbuck/Munich/Zurich trip one of these days... sooner rather than later! Thanks for sharing your tips!

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo
    Sep 3, 2013 at 10:48 PM

Thanks Don, I am overnighting in Innsbruck on October 11, so am doing a bit of research.
    Thanks for your contribution, it's always appreciated.

Sep 5, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Thanks for your ratings and comment. I hope you enjoy your overnight stay in Innsbruck.

• IreneMcKay's Profile Photo
    May 30, 2013 at 3:54 AM

Lovely page. I have been to Innsbruck for the day several times while holidaying in nearby Jenbach and Maurach. I have not come across the museums or theatres you visited, but know the golden roof area and surroundings. All the best, Irene

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Apr 26, 2013 at 1:03 PM

A lovely page on Innsbruck. Would love to visit Austria one day :)

Apr 26, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Thanks, Regina. I arrived in Innsbruck on a really rainy day, just like today here in Frankfurt.

• lmkluque's Profile Photo
    Aug 19, 2012 at 8:13 AM

Thanks for the tour of Innsbruck Don! It looks like a beautiful place to be. Even the rain dotted photo you have here looks good!

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo
    Feb 20, 2012 at 2:00 AM

I have to re visit Innsbruck soon.

Ciao!

Nemorino

“The world is full of wonderful places. Help keep them wonderful by not driving in them.”

Badges & Stats in Innsbruck

Have you been to Innsbruck?

Latest Activity in Innsbruck