"Opera in Innsbruck" Innsbruck by Nemorino
Innsbruck Travel Guide: 1,273 reviews and 3,059 photos
This was one of those nights when you learn to appreciate seemingly obvious things. In this case I was really happy about the fact that this theater has a roof on it, because it was pouring rain in Innsbruck the night I was there. Later I heard it was raining even harder in Verona, where I had just come from, and all those folks who wanted to see the open-air performance of Verdi's Aida in the Arena di Verona had a miserable time of it.
My stop-over in Innsbruck was to see a performance of one of the early Mozart operas, Il re pastore, at the Innsbruck Festival of Early Music. This festival is usually devoted to Baroque music, up to around 1750, but this year they made an exception because 2006 was the 250th anniversary of Mozart's birth.
The singer on all their posters this year is the young Italian soprano Raffaella Milanesi in the role of Tamiri in Il re pastore. The photo on the poster shows her sitting at the edge of the stage with her feet dangling into the orchestra pit as she sings her aria Di tante sue procelle from Act 1. (Click on the photo to see this. Sorry I can't provide the audio -- she sounded great!)
Il re pastore (meaning "The Shepard King") was Mozart's tenth opera. He wrote it in 1775, when he was nineteen years old.
Since Innsbruck is more or less surrounded by mountains, it might not seem at first glance to be the ideal bicycle town, but in fact the city itself is located in a large valley and is quite flat, so there is nothing to stop people from using their bikes on a daily basis.
I haven't cycled here myself yet, but hope to do so next year, especially since there is now a large professional bicycle shop which has hundreds of bikes for rent. (See my Transportation Tips for details.)
Like most hotels I stay at, this one is very close to the main railroad station. Also it is reasonably priced, has a... more travel advice
Bicycles are a common means of transportation in Innsbruck. There are mountains all around, but the city itself is in... more travel advice
Nemorino's Related Pages
Innsbruck Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "I LOVED INNSBRUCK!"
- "Innsbruck is a lot more than just a golden roof"
- "The Beautiful town of Innsbruck"
- "Innsbruck - the capital city of Tirol"
- "Innsbruck +++ Lovely town and great skijumping :)"
- "More Ups than Downs in Innsbruck"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Innsbruck
- Hotels in Innsbruck
- Transportation in Innsbruck
- Nightlife in Innsbruck
- Restaurants in Innsbruck
- Shopping in Innsbruck
- Warnings and Dangers in Innsbruck
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Innsbruck
- 16 Reviews
- 52 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 77 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (95)
Have you been to Innsbruck?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Innsbruck
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paris Intro, 413 reviews, 1741 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 100 reviews, 253 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 61 reviews, 222 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Besançon Intro, 48 reviews, 202 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Avignon Intro, 46 reviews, 190 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 49 reviews, 175 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marseille Intro, 45 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 56 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulon Intro, 42 reviews, 156 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 32 reviews, 151 photos, 6 travelogues