"Cycling to Tauberrettersheim" Tauberrettersheim by Nemorino
Tauberrettersheim Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 35 photos
Tauberrettersheim is a town of 839 people in the Tauber Valley just five and a half kilometers upstream from Weikersheim. It is also nearly three kilometers upstream from Schäftersheim and roughly the same distance downhill from Queckbronn.
The name Tauberrettersheim means Tauber-Rescuer's-Home or maybe Tauber-Savior's-Home, though I have never found any explanation of how it got that name. (If you know, please tell me.) 37 kilometers downstream from Tauberrettersheim there is a town with the similar-sounding name of Tauberbischofsheim (Tauber-Bishop's-Home), which most Germans have heard of because their Olympic fencing team does its training there.
Both Tauberbischofsheim and Tauberrettersheim are located on the "classic" Tauber Valley bicycle route, which starts at Rothenburg ob der Tauber and goes downstream for one hundred kilometers to Wertheim, where the Tauber River flows into the Main.
This "classic" route is very popular with us older cyclists because it goes right down the valley and is therefore flat or slightly downhill all the way. I have shown some of the places along this "classic" route in the Off the Beaten Path tips on my Weikersheim page.
There is also a parallel cycling route called the "sportive" route which goes up and down lots of hills just south of the Tauber Valley, for you young folks who like this sort of thing.
When you cycle the five and a half kilometers from Weikersheim to Tauberrettersheim you at some point cross the invisible boundary between Baden-Württemberg and Bavaria.
You also cross the invisible religious boundary between Protestant and Catholic communities, but this difference becomes very visible when you get to Tauberrettersheim because the town is full of religions symbols and statuary.
Not all communities in Bavaria are predominantly Catholic, but most of them are and Tauberrettersheim certainly is, and they make quite a show of it, perhaps to set themselves off from their nearby Protestant neighbors.
In the year 1987 Tauberrettersheim had 754 inhabitants, of whom 719 (= 95 %) were Roman Catholics and 32 were Protestants. (That leaves three unaccounted for.)
Bavaria keeps close track of this sort of thing because predominantly Catholic communities are entitled to an extra holiday, Maria's Ascension into Heaven on August 15th.
Predominantly Protestant communities also used to have an extra holiday called Buß- und Bettag (Penitence and Prayer Day), but that was in November when nobody was particularly in the mood, and it was abolished as a holiday in 1995.
Photos: 1. Cigarette machine 2. Another cigarette machine Catholic or Protestant, rich or poor, urban or rural, every... more travel advice
Photos: 1. Ornamental well 2. Ornamental pump Tauberrettersheim today is a prosperous town with a perfectly functioning... more travel advice
Nemorino's Related Pages
Tauberrettersheim Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Tauberrettersheim
- Hotels in Tauberrettersheim
- Warnings and Dangers in Tauberrettersheim
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Tauberrettersheim
- 14 Reviews
- 35 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 33 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (62)
Have you been to Tauberrettersheim?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tauberrettersheim
- Posted in Travel Hamburg Forum "Re: Places to enjoy a beer and..."
- Commented on one of Nemorino's Tauberrettersheim travel pages
- updated a Tauberrettersheim Travel Page "Cycling to Tauberrettersheim"
- Wrote a Review Cigarette machines in Tauberrettersheim Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Photo to "Cigarette machines"
Photos in TauberrettersheimSee All Photos (35)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paris Intro, 280 reviews, 1112 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 94 reviews, 233 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 61 reviews, 222 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 49 reviews, 175 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marseille Intro, 45 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 56 reviews, 149 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulon Intro, 42 reviews, 156 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 32 reviews, 150 photos, 6 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 44 reviews, 125 photos, 1 travelogue
- Zürich Intro, 43 reviews, 126 photos