"Opera and canoeing in Ulm" Top 5 Page for this destination Ulm by Nemorino
Ulm Travel Guide: 246 reviews and 844 photos
This is Ulm: the world's tallest church steeple rising like a fata morgana from a sea of mediocre post-war architecture.
In September 2005 I went to Ulm to see their premiere of the opera Aida, by Giuseppe Verdi (1813-1901). It was an ambitious production, set in 19th century Egypt under British rule, with a puppet king (shades of "The King and I") dominated by the British colonial administrator. The stage set was an authentic-looking colonial hotel, intact in the first act, full of bullet holes in the second act and severely damaged by artillery fire in the third and fourth. The staging was resolutely anti-war, which I always like, because Aida is actually a quite militaristic opera, and I think it is the duty of any stage director to counteract this.
What didn't work so well in the Ulm production was that Verdi's eerie ancient-Egyptian priests' music was sung by a chorus of chubby British colonials, presumably Anglicans, wearing khaki shorts and wide-brimmed hats. Incongruous, to say the least.
Also I found the ending rather lame. I mean come on guys, having two people get stuck in an elevator just does not have the same dramatic impact as having them sealed into a tomb with bricks and mortar.
In 1962 Ulm was the fifth stop on a seventeen-day canoe trip that I took with some German friends down the Danube River to Vienna. We camped at an official campsite on the riverbank, as I recall, and spent part of one day exploring the city.
This statue of two men and three pigs is at the Pig Market, known officially as the Schweinemarkt and unofficially as... more travel advice
This inconspicuous monument is supposed to represent the apartment building where the physicist Albert Einstein was born... more travel advice
Nemorino's Related Pages
Ulm Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The World's highest Church Spire and the Sparrows"
- "Medieval Ulm"
- "Ulm: More Than Just A Steeple"
- "Why not the Ülmster?"
- "Opera and canoeing in Ulm"
- "Swabian Gemuetlichkeit"
- "Welcome to Ulm"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ulm
- Hotels in Ulm
- Transportation in Ulm
- Nightlife in Ulm
- Restaurants in Ulm
- Shopping in Ulm
- Warnings and Dangers in Ulm
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ulm
- 10 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 40 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (86)
Have you been to Ulm?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ulm
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paris Intro, 400 reviews, 1672 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 100 reviews, 253 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 61 reviews, 222 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Besançon Intro, 48 reviews, 202 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Avignon Intro, 46 reviews, 190 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 49 reviews, 175 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marseille Intro, 45 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 56 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulon Intro, 42 reviews, 156 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 32 reviews, 151 photos, 6 travelogues