"By train and ferry to Denmark" Rødbyhavn by Nemorino

Rødbyhavn Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 51 photos

Crossing the Fehmarn Belt

Forty-one times a day these Scandlines ferries make the crossing from Puttgarden, on the island of Fehmarn in northern Germany, to Rødbyhavn on the Danish island of Lolland.

I made this crossing as a train passenger on a EuroCity train going from Hamburg to Copenhagen, and then back the following week. Both times, the train and the ferry were right on time, and we had little or no waiting. The train is the last vehicle to be driven onto the ferry and the first to be driven off, so there were no delays for us.

This was a "free" train trip for me -- free in the sense that it didn't cost me any money but only three thousand "Bonus Points" that I had accumulated as a frequent traveler on the German Railroad System.

Since these "Bonus Points" are usually more or less worthless, I was amazed to discover that a mere three thousand of them would get me a first class ticket from Frankfurt to Copenhagen and back.

On the way from Hamburg to Puttgarden the train crosses a long bridge over the Fehmarn Sound to get from the German mainland to the island of Fehmarn, which is where I snapped this photo from the train window.

I later looked up the Fehmarn Sound Bridge and found that it has a total length of 963 meters and was inaugurated in 1963. At some future date the German and Danish governments might also build a much longer bridge, nearly nineteen kilometers, over the Fehmarn Belt between Puttgarden and Rødbyhavn, which is where the ferry now goes.

• Last visit to Rødbyhavn: Jun 2009
  • Intro Updated Jan 1, 2013

• alancollins's Profile Photo
    Apr 15, 2013 at 6:01 AM

I also like using rewards points for trips. I once used £1,200 worth towards a trip to the US.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
      Apr 15, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Hi Alan, thanks for your visit to my Rødbyhavn page.

• mindcrime's Profile Photo
    Dec 31, 2012 at 3:04 AM

useful transportation tips although I get bored on ferries (maybe I have used so many of them here)

• lmkluque's Profile Photo
    Nov 25, 2012 at 8:18 AM

Nice Updates Don! I like the ferry ride also.

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Nov 16, 2012 at 3:08 AM

I once took the Hansa train from Copenhagen to Germany. It was back in 1983 and I don´t know how long the trip took. I was the only one on first class like Imkluque. I wonder which ferry it was that took the train across to Germany?

• lmkluque's Profile Photo
    Jun 25, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Thank you Don! This page fascinated me! I didn't know it was a ferry we went on, thought it was some sort of barge. I took the train from Hamburg to Danmark but slept through the whole journey. It was years ago, I was the only one in a first class compartment, they didn't make me leave the train at all until the conductor woke me up, thankfully, in Copenhagen.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Oct 21, 2011 at 11:55 PM

An interesting page on all the different kinds of transport. Must admit, on our trip, we saw more ferries than we have ever seen, and travelled on one ourselves. Nothing wrong with a ferry, we enjoyed it!

• MD2nd's Profile Photo
    Dec 22, 2010 at 8:00 AM

Wonderful transportation tips on ferries! Your photos prove riding on a ferry does look like a pleasant experience! Well, as long as it's not the Atlantic? Gee, my stomac turned and turned..

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo
    Oct 31, 2010 at 7:38 PM

Nice little page. I once took the ferry from Copenhagen to Malmo.

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    May 15, 2010 at 3:26 PM

i never noticed this page before. this is really excellent info.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Apr 26, 2010 at 1:20 PM

Trains are wonderful and a great way to relax and enjoy the scenery. I just wish Metro Link would venture up to Tehachapi, I know I would use it. Nice page!

Nemorino

“Cars from now on will have to be lighter, smaller, slower, cleaner – and fewer! ”

Badges & Stats in Rødbyhavn

Have you been to Rødbyhavn?

Latest Activity in Rødbyhavn