"By train and ferry to Denmark" Rødbyhavn by Nemorino
Rødbyhavn Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 52 photos
Forty-one times a day these Scandlines ferries make the crossing from Puttgarden, on the island of Fehmarn in northern Germany, to Rødbyhavn on the Danish island of Lolland.
I made this crossing as a train passenger on a EuroCity train going from Hamburg to Copenhagen, and then back the following week. Both times, the train and the ferry were right on time, and we had little or no waiting. The train is the last vehicle to be driven onto the ferry and the first to be driven off, so there were no delays for us.
This was a "free" train trip for me -- free in the sense that it didn't cost me any money but only three thousand "Bonus Points" that I had accumulated as a frequent traveler on the German Railroad System.
Since these "Bonus Points" are usually more or less worthless, I was amazed to discover that a mere three thousand of them would get me a first class ticket from Frankfurt to Copenhagen and back.
On the way from Hamburg to Puttgarden the train crosses a long bridge over the Fehmarn Sound to get from the German mainland to the island of Fehmarn, which is where I snapped this photo from the train window.
I later looked up the Fehmarn Sound Bridge and found that it has a total length of 963 meters and was inaugurated in 1963. At some future date the German and Danish governments might also build a much longer bridge, nearly nineteen kilometers, over the Fehmarn Belt between Puttgarden and Rødbyhavn, which is where the ferry now goes.
Photos: 1. View from the train window 2. Passing through a station in Denmark 3. A DSB train (Danish State... more travel advice
Photos: 1. Tugboat "Baltsund" in the Fehmarn Belt 2. The tugboat pulling a barge We landlubbers rarely see tugboats... more travel advice
Nemorino's Related Pages
Rødbyhavn Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "By train and ferry to Denmark"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rødbyhavn
- 7 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 37 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (97)
Have you been to Rødbyhavn?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rødbyhavn
Photos in RødbyhavnSee All Photos (24)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paris Intro, 435 reviews, 1848 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 100 reviews, 253 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 61 reviews, 222 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Besançon Intro, 48 reviews, 202 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Avignon Intro, 46 reviews, 190 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 49 reviews, 175 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marseille Intro, 45 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 56 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulon Intro, 42 reviews, 156 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 32 reviews, 151 photos, 6 travelogues