"Carmen and the Count of Monte Cristo" Top 5 Page for this destination Marseille by Nemorino

Marseille Travel Guide: 771 reviews and 1,749 photos

Two highlights of my visit to Marseille were a performance of the opera Carmen at the Municipal Opera House and a boat trip out to the island of If (that’s really what it’s called) to see the formidable castle where Edmond Dantès was imprisoned in the novel The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas.

My lead photo shows Marseille as seen from the doorway of the Château d’If, where Dantès spent fourteen long years before he finally escaped -- something no one ever did in real life.

Another highlight was a guided walking tour of the Panier district, Marseille’s Old Town. We had a very knowledgeable and enthusiastic guide from the Marseille tourist office.

I have made a loop of the tips from this guided walking tour, so if you would like to join us and follow the tour in the order we took it, you can easily do so by clicking on the links at the bottom of each tip.

Click here to begin the guided walking tour.

I have also made a loop joining all the tips that have to do with the Frioul Islands, including the Île d’If, Vauban, François I and the Count of Monte Cristo:

Click here for my excursion to the Frioul Islands.

• Last visit to Marseille: Oct 2012
  • Intro Updated Mar 11, 2013

• xaver's Profile Photo
    Apr 2, 2014 at 1:40 PM

Interesting page and curious position of drivers in Marseilles. Infact I am sure that an area is safer when it's full of people walking or biking around, kids playing and so on. Definitly not cars.

Apr 3, 2014 at 2:27 PM

Corra, thanks for your visit to my Marseille page. I certainly agree with your comment.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Sep 3, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Thank you for an enjoyable early evening in Marseille, Don :-)) I loved your tour to If Island, especially because of the so dark blue sea :-)) Hopefully the city officials will get the velo sorted because it is a good idea, provided they understand what to do :-)

• rosata's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2013 at 3:03 AM

I enjoyed reading about Marseille, Don. We bypass it on our regular drive; so many things to see, it will fit in to the agenda one trip!

• breughel's Profile Photo
    Jul 12, 2013 at 7:41 AM

It's a pity that Marseille has such a bad reputation of criminality at least in France and the French media we receive in Belgium so that we were not tempted to visit although there are many nice and interesting things to see.

Jul 13, 2013 at 2:49 AM

Yes, Marseille does have a bad reputation for criminality, but I think it is still worth visiting. I especially enjoyed the Ile d'If, the guided walking tour and the opera. Thanks for your ratings.

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Jun 23, 2013 at 2:29 AM

Hi Don, Back to view your Marseille page again, hopefully we will be able to spend a week here during 2014.Have seen Fly Cruise advtg in today's paper Barcelona return, can extend date for return flight and take train through med coast of France into Italy. Only a wish at the moment, but will be on lookout for summer'14.

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Jun 10, 2013 at 5:26 PM

A brilliant page, Don, as always. I would very much like to visit the Notre-Dame-de-la-Garde. And your walking tour seems very interesting.

• german_eagle's Profile Photo
    Apr 7, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Another fantastic page, Don. Quite a cycling-unfriendly city, unfortunately. The walking tour of the old quarter sounds excellent, a plus is the chocolate shop :-) The Count of Monte Christo was one of my favourite books when I was a kid, read it several times.

Apr 8, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Ingo, thanks for your ratings and nice comment on my Marseille page. The island of If is a great place to visit, especially on a sunny day.

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Apr 5, 2013 at 6:51 AM

A very comprehensive page bringing back memory about my very short visit to Marseille. But I well remember the view from Notre Dame de la Gard as well as climbing the hill when I was in a hurry not to be late for our bus. Thank you Don for sharing!

Apr 6, 2013 at 1:56 AM

Thanks for your ratings and nice comment on my Marseille page.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Apr 2, 2013 at 5:13 AM

Don, you Marseille page is a brilliant read on a train trip from Switzerland to Germany. I am just about to arrive at Frankfurt Flughafen Fernbahnhof. - I once came through Marseille by train on a trip further down to the French coast, so the city is still on my must visit list. I especially like your tips about the Frioul islands, as well as the info about bus #83. Also it is always good to know which one is the highest builing in a city and where it would be located in the well-known Frankfurt skyline countdown.

Apr 2, 2013 at 8:51 AM

Holger, I’m glad I could provide appropriate entertainment for your train ride. Does this mean you had a stable internet connection from Zürich to Frankfurt? I haven’t tried it for a while, but WLAN on German trains used to be intermittent at best.

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Mar 24, 2013 at 5:42 AM

Hi Don, Enjoyed your tips, plenty of transportation besides the bike. I have considered renting an apartment in Marseille for 7 days, use it as a base to visit nearby towns serviced by metro. Hopefully as far as Monte Carlo which is not far away. Then make our way to Barcelona. Wishful Thinking!

Mar 25, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Hi Mike, thanks for your visit to my Marseille page. My schedule was that I spent three nights in Marseille, four nights in Toulon and then another three nights in Marseille. Train service between Marseille and Toulon was fine. It took about 3/4 of an hour each way.

Nemorino

“Cars from now on will have to be lighter, smaller, slower, cleaner – and fewer! ”

Badges & Stats in Marseille

Have you been to Marseille?