"Carmen and the Count of Monte Cristo" Top 5 Page for this destination Marseille by Nemorino
Marseille Travel Guide: 771 reviews and 1,749 photos
Two highlights of my visit to Marseille were a performance of the opera Carmen at the Municipal Opera House and a boat trip out to the island of If (that’s really what it’s called) to see the formidable castle where Edmond Dantès was imprisoned in the novel The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas.
My lead photo shows Marseille as seen from the doorway of the Château d’If, where Dantès spent fourteen long years before he finally escaped -- something no one ever did in real life.
Another highlight was a guided walking tour of the Panier district, Marseille’s Old Town. We had a very knowledgeable and enthusiastic guide from the Marseille tourist office.
I have made a loop of the tips from this guided walking tour, so if you would like to join us and follow the tour in the order we took it, you can easily do so by clicking on the links at the bottom of each tip.
I have also made a loop joining all the tips that have to do with the Frioul Islands, including the Île d’If, Vauban, François I and the Count of Monte Cristo:
The first opera house on this site was the Grand Théâtre de Marseille, which was begun on July 14 (the French national... more travel advice
As soon as the Frioul If Express leaves the harbor it suddenly speeds up and leaves Marseille behind in its wake. ... more travel advice
Nemorino's Related Pages
Marseille Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Marseille, 2,500 years of history"
- "Carmen and the Count of Monte Cristo"
- "Marseille: sea, sun and wind ... and diversity!"
- "Marseille - you either love it or hate it...."
- "WELCOME TO MY MARSEILLE PAGE ......:-)"
- "MARSEILLE IN PROVENCE"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Marseille
- Hotels in Marseille
- Transportation in Marseille
- Nightlife in Marseille
- Restaurants in Marseille
- Shopping in Marseille
- Warnings and Dangers in Marseille
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Marseille
- 45 Reviews
- 166 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 21 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (64)
Have you been to Marseille?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Marseille
- Posted in Travel Frankfurt am Main Forum "Re: Day trips or any tours"
- Commented on one of Nemorino's Marseille travel pages
- updated a Marseille Travel Page "Carmen and the Count of Monte Cristo"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Carmen and the Count of Monte Cristo"
- Wrote a Review The Municipal Opera House in Marseille Things to Do
Photos in MarseilleSee All Photos (166)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paris Intro, 371 reviews, 1540 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 97 reviews, 237 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 61 reviews, 222 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 49 reviews, 175 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marseille Intro, 45 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 56 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulon Intro, 42 reviews, 156 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 32 reviews, 150 photos, 6 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 44 reviews, 125 photos, 1 travelogue
- Zürich Intro, 43 reviews, 126 photos