"My Paris: not only operas and bicycles . . ." Top 5 Page for this destination Paris by Nemorino

Paris Travel Guide: 23,025 reviews and 57,129 photos

Philharmonie 1 and the Odéon Theatre

Perhaps you are wondering how I have managed to limit my Paris page to 410 reviews, when there is obviously so much more to be said about this great city.

Even if you aren’t wondering, here are my secrets:

First, I have put my day trips from Paris onto separate pages. My Versailles reviews are all on my Versailles page, not here on my Paris page. Also my reviews on Fontainebleau, Saint-Germain-en-Laye, Montmorency, Maintenon and Saint-Cyr-l’École all have their own pages. Even my four Le Bourget reviews now have a page all to themselves, along with an introduction about my father’s visit there in 1927 and mine in 2006. So all my Paris reviews are now strictly about Paris, within the city limits.

Second, I have tried to combine reviews whenever possible. On my Paris page I have an average of 4.2 photos per review, often with separate comments for each of the photos.

Third and most important, I have no restaurant reviews on my Paris page. This is not only to reduce the size of the page, but also because I am not desperately interested in restaurants and have no overwhelming desire to write about them. Fortunately VirtualTourist has numerous members who write excellent restaurant reviews. Have a look at the Paris restaurant reviews by Beausoleil, BeatChick, Guyon, pfsmalo, Shrimp56, daveq, and Dabs, to name just the first seven who come to mind.

In 2015 I have thus far added eleven new tips/reviews to my Paris page, for instance about a concert at the new Philharmonie, a play at the Odéon, an operetta at the Châtelet and several obscure houses in the Marais district where some remarkable people used to live back in the 17th century.

In case you would like to look just at these newest tips, I have linked them all together, so you can read them starting here with a new tip on the Sorbonne.

In a travelogue I have also preserved the links to several earlier loops of Paris tips/reviews, which you are cordially invited to have a look at.

The amazing thing about my visit to Paris in June 2006 was that in only ten days I saw eight operas at seven different venues. I don't know of any other city in the world where this would be possible.

Table of Contents

Here is an overview of the larger tip categories on my Paris page, with clickable links:

Things to Do 1-10: Champs-Elysées, Arc de Triomphe, Théâtre de la Huchette, Victor Hugo, Balzac; nights at the Opéra Garnier.

Things to Do 11-20: Opera venues: Garnier, Bastille, Châtelet, Opéra Comique, Athenée.

Things to Do 21-30: Théâtre des Champs-Élysées; open-air opera; Music at Salle Pleyel, Radio France, La Villette.

Things to Do 31-40: Music in the Sainte Chapelle & Madeleine; François-Mitterrand Library, Simone de Beauvoir footbridge, Pont des Arts, Queuing at the Eiffel Tower, . . .

Things to Do 41-50: Museums: Louvre, Orsay, Beaubourg, Picasso, Carnavalet.

Things to Do 51-60: Immigration: Porte Dorée, Cité de l'immigration; Branly Museum, Arab World, Mosque, . . .

Things to Do 61-70: Paris Beaches, Paris in the cinema, Making films in Paris, Palais Royal, Comédie Française, Musée des Arts et Métiers, Memorial of the Deportation.

Things to Do 71-80: Paris from a tethered balloon, Parc André Citroën, Montparnasse Tower, Saint-Roch, Place des Vosges, Panthéon, Eiffel Tower.

Things to Do 81-90: Montmartre, Sacré-Coeur, Standing room at the Opéra Bastille.

Things to Do 91-100: Square du Vert-Galant, Notre-Dame 1482, Cluny Museum, Egypt in the Louvre.

Things to Do 101-110: Musée Charles X, Grand Palais, Petit Palais, Napoléon’s tomb, Army Museum, Rodin Museum.

Things to Do 111-120: Musée Guimet, Place d’Iéna, concert at Théâtre des Champs-Elysées, Arc de Triomphe, Orangerie, Samaritaine.

Things to Do 121-130: Boat trip on the Seine, Hôtel du Nord, Canal Saint-Martin, Arletty, Saint-Louis Hospital, Science & Industry Museum, Pont Neuf, Wallace Fountains, Conciergerie.

Things to Do 131-140: Archeological Crypt, Les Arènes de Lutèce, Jardin des Plantes, The Grand Gallery of Evolution, Beaumarchais, The square of Gavroche’s elephant, Théâtre des Nouveautés, Bourdelle Museum and the Hall Napoléon at the Louvre.

Things to Do 141-150: The Palais Royal district: Galerie Vivienne, Rue de la Banque, Place des Victoires. Gobelin tapestries, Les Berges.

Things to Do 151-160: Les Berges (the banks of the Seine), Rue de Bièvre.

Things to Do 161-170: Île Saint-Louis; Orsay and Louvre museums with VT member breughel.

Things to Do 171-180: People at the Louvre, Jacquemart-André Museum, Camille Claudel, Jewish Art and History, Spontini’s opera La Vestale, Vauban memorial, Saint-Germain-des-Près.

Things to Do 180-190: More places in Saint-Germain-des-Près, Delacroix Museum, Trocadéro, Richelieu-Louvois Library, Dionysian frenzy, Galerie Colbert, the Sorbonne, the new Philharmonie.

Things to Do 191-193: A concert at the Philharmonie, a play at the Odéon, an operetta at the Châtelet.

Off the Beaten Path 1-10: Ninon de Lenclos; Rue des Rosiers 1962/65; Paris Skyline Countdown # 30; Jardin du Moulin de la Pointe; Passy, light pollution, Trinité, colorful facades.

Off the Beaten Path 11-20: Small theaters: La Comedia, Espace Marais, Theatre de l'Ile Saint-Louis; music in small churches; gay bars; Phillippe Auguste's wall: Wallace Fountains; Cité Universitaire.

Off the Beaten Path 21-30: Hemingway's Place de la Contrescarpe; Belleville; Passy; Allee des Cygnes.

Off the Beaten Path 31-40: Promenade plantée; Père Lachaise cemetery; Colbert in the Saint-Eustache Church; Bois de Vincennes; town halls of several arrondissements, Bourse de Commerce, Tournelle Bridge, Hôtel de Sens.

Off the Beaten Path 41-50: Galerie Véro-Dodat, Le Recrutement, Parc des Buttes-Chaumont, La Rotonde de la Villette, Jussieu campus, Théâtre Montparnasse, Rue de la Gaîté, Zadkine Museum, guided walking tour of Montparnasse, Le Sélect.

Off the Beaten Path 51-60: La Coupole, ateliers in rue Huyghens, Foujita’s atelier, rue Delambre, Bains Odessa, Rue de Rennes, Couvent des Cordelières, Château de la Reine Blanche.

Off the Beaten Path 61-70: 13th arrondissement & Les Docks.

Off the Beaten Path 71-80: Diderot University, Butte-aux-Cailles, Place de Clichy, …

Off the Beaten Path 81-90: Museum of the Sewers, Arsenal Library and Pavillon, Quai des Célestins, rue Jacob, rue Monttessuy, street art by Jana & JS.

Off the Beaten Path 91-100: Palais de Chaillot, Le Lucernaire, Montparnasse Cemetery; the 2nd district (2e arrondissement).

Off the Beaten Path 101-108: More places in the 2nd district. Also Hôtel d'Ecquevilly & Hôtel de l'Impécuniosité in the Marais district.

Transportation 1-10: Six major railway stations; Train of Great Speed (TGV); InterCityExpress (ICE); EuroCity (EC).

Transportation 11-20: Five or six reasons not to take the Métro; Bus 38, Tramway T-3a and T-3b, Porte de Versailles, Porte de Vincennes, Porte de la Chapelle, Small Belt Line, Autolib’, Voiturier.

Transportation 21-22: Batobus, Métro line # 4.

Here on my Paris page (as on my Amsterdam and Verona pages) I have put all my cycling tips into the category of General Tips a.k.a. Favorites, so as to keep them all together.

• Last visit to Paris: Jun 2015
  • Intro Updated Nov 11, 2015

• Updated Comment
    breughel's Profile Photo
    Aug 1, 2012 at 2:38 AM

Hello Don, glad to see that that you are now nr 4. Thank you for reading my new Vienna reviews. Erwin Schrödinger was very special scientist, living openly with two women what was not well received at some Universities. Have you read about Schrödinger's cat experiment?

Other comments
  • starship's Profile Photo
    Nov 25, 2015 at 7:42 AM

Another excellent page, Don. In addition to your great tips and photos, I always feel like your pages have been so educational that they invite you to study some topics even further.

Nov 25, 2015 at 8:06 AM

Sylvia, thanks for your ratings and nice comments on Paris and Amsterdam.

• german_eagle's Profile Photo
    Jul 26, 2015 at 10:35 AM

Very interesting updates again, Don! So many tips on literature, music and art ... I keep learning a lot from your pages, thanks!

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Jul 21, 2015 at 4:20 AM

As always I enjoyed your additions to this page, and especially reading about Françoise d’Aubigné and Ninon de Lenclos

Jul 21, 2015 at 4:38 AM

Thanks, Sarah. These are two fascinating ladies whose lives are described quite differently by different biographers.

• wabat's Profile Photo
    Jul 19, 2015 at 6:46 AM

Don, I much enjoyed your July 2015 additons. You might want to check the link back from the final review to here as it didnt work for me .. Left me in nowhereville!

Jul 19, 2015 at 6:55 AM

Thanks, Albert. I'm glad you liked the July 2015 additions, and I have just fixed the link. Apparently I had entered the correct link, but twice in the same line, which did in fact lead to Nowheresville.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Mar 7, 2015 at 8:24 AM

Back to read your updates Don - very informative as always, and great detail in the station descriptions that will be really helpful to many

Mar 9, 2015 at 2:27 AM

Sarah, thanks for coming back to read my re-launched Paris tips.

Feb 1, 2015 at 1:34 PM

Interesting Transportation updates Don! Thanks for the first laugh of my day!!

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jan 31, 2015 at 7:48 AM

Don, great collection of tips from your explorations of Paris' 2nd district. Good that they are looped in your September updates.

Jan 8, 2015 at 11:03 AM

Reading more of your Off the Beaten Path tips Don. You made me laugh. I'll be sure not to eat while in the Sewers!

Jan 2, 2015 at 1:58 PM

Still wading through your Off the Beaten Path tips. I've been on several of those streets too. Thanks for the memories!

Jan 2, 2015 at 2:11 PM

Linda, thanks for coming back again for another batch of my Off the Beaten Path tips on Paris. I'm glad I could bring back some memories for you.

“The world is full of wonderful places. Help keep them wonderful by not driving in them.”

Badges & Stats in Paris