"My Paris: not only operas and bicycles . . ." Top 5 Page for this destination Paris by Nemorino
Paris Travel Guide: 22,630 reviews and 55,564 photos
This page used to be called "Operas and cycling in Paris", but after adding my latest batch of tips I counted through and found that now only five percent of my Paris tips are about operas or opera houses. Another nine percent are about cycling. That leaves eighty-six percent that are about other things entirely.
In 2014 I have so far added twenty new tips/reviews to my Paris page. I have joined these together in a loop, so if you just want to look at these new reviews you can easily do so by clicking on the link at the bottom of each one.
• Twenty Paris tips from March 2014, including the Vauban memorial, the Arsenal Pavilion, the Museum of the Sewers, the Chinese New Year and some street art by Jana & JS.
Earlier loops of Paris tips/reviews:
• Seventeen Paris tips from October 2013, including the roof of Au Printemps, Spontini's opera La Vestale at the Théâtre des Champs-Élysées, the French Communist Party headquarters and the Gallows of Montfaucon.
• Fifteen Paris tips from September 2013, including a guided walking tour of the Île Saint-Louis and two museum visits with a connoisseur of paintings and tapestries, VT member breughel.
• Twenty Paris tips from August 2013, including the Gobelin tapestries, street art on the Butte-aux-Cailles and some great new car-free zones on the banks of the Seine.
• Twenty Paris tips from July 2013, including the latest metamorphosis of ‘Répu’ aka Place de la République, some quaint outmoded technology at ‘Paris Story’, why the River Bièvre has disappeared and what there is to see and do at ‘Les Docks’.
• Twenty-six Paris tips from May 2013, including a stand-up comedy show in English, Oscar Wilde in French and guided walking tours of the Palais Royal district and Montparnasse.
• Twenty-two Paris tips from July 2012, including a cruise on the Canal Saint Martin, Arletty, Beaumarchais and the Grand Gallery of Evolution.
• Twenty-four Paris tips from June 2012, including the Rodin Museum, a concert at the Théâtre des Champs-Elysées, some views from the Arch of Triumph and a boat trip on the Seine.
• Seventeen Paris tips from January 2012, including Quasimodo’s Notre-Dame, the Museum of the Middle Ages and the huge Ancient Egyptian department of the Louvre.
• Twenty Paris tips from September 2011, including the story of how I once met François Mitterrand (1916-1996) and even interpreted for him on the radio, long before he was elected President of France.
As an experiment, I have also made a thematic loop here on my Paris page, linking eight reviews that all have to do in one way or another with the topic of immigration.
When VirtualTourist announced the second set of Barney Awards, I was gratified to learn that my Paris page had received the award for the "Best City Travel Page" of 2012. Thanks, everybody!
The amazing thing about my visit to Paris in June 2006 was that in only ten days I saw eight operas at seven different venues. I don't know of any other city in the world where this would be possible.
Table of Contents
Here is an overview of the larger tip categories on my Paris page, with clickable links:
Things to Do 1-10: Champs-Elysées, Arc de Triomphe, Théâtre de la Huchette, Victor Hugo, Balzac; nights at the Opéra Garnier.
Things to Do 11-20: Opera venues: Garnier, Bastille, Châtelet, Opéra Comique, Athenée.
Things to Do 21-30: Théâtre des Champs-Élysées; open-air opera; Music at Salle Pleyel, Radio France, La Villette.
Things to Do 31-40: Music in the Sainte Chapelle & Madeleine; François-Mitterrand Library, Simone de Beauvoir footbridge, Pont des Arts, Queuing at the Eiffel Tower, . . .
Things to Do 41-50: Museums: Louvre, Orsay, Beaubourg, Picasso, Carnavalet.
Things to Do 51-60: Immigration: Porte Dorée, Cité de l'immigration; Branly Museum, Arab World, Mosque, . . .
Things to Do 61-70: Paris Beaches, Paris in the cinema, Making films in Paris, Palais Royal, Comédie Française, Musée des Arts et Métiers, Memorial of the Deportation.
Things to Do 71-80: Paris from a tethered balloon, Parc André Citroën, Montparnasse Tower, Saint-Roch, Place des Vosges, Panthéon, Eiffel Tower.
Things to Do 81-90: Montmartre, Sacré-Coeur, Standing room at the Opéra Bastille.
Things to Do 91-100: Square du Vert-Galant, Notre-Dame 1482, Cluny Museum, Egypt in the Louvre.
Things to Do 101-110: Musée Charles X, Grand Palais, Petit Palais, Napoléon’s tomb, Army Museum, Rodin Museum.
Things to Do 111-120: Musée Guimet, Place d’Iéna, concert at Théâtre des Champs-Elysées, Arc de Triomphe, Orangerie, Samaritaine.
Things to Do 121-130: Boat trip on the Seine, Hôtel du Nord, Canal Saint-Martin, Arletty, Saint-Louis Hospital, Science & Industry Museum, Pont Neuf, Wallace Fountains, Conciergerie.
Things to Do 131-140: Archeological Crypt, Les Arènes de Lutèce, Jardin des Plantes, The Grand Gallery of Evolution, Beaumarchais, The square of Gavroche’s elephant, Théâtre des Nouveautés, Bourdelle Museum and the Hall Napoléon at the Louvre.
Things to Do 141-150: The Palais Royal district: Galerie Vivienne, Rue de la Banque, Place des Victoires. Gobelin tapestries, Les Berges.
Things to Do 151-160: Les Berges (the banks of the Seine), Rue de Bièvre.
Things to Do 161-170: Île Saint-Louis; Orsay and Louvre museums with VT member breughel.
Things to Do 171-180: People at the Louvre, Jacquemart-André Museum, Camille Claudel, Jewish Art and History, Spontini’s opera La Vestale, Saint-Germain-des-Près, Delacroix Museum.
Off the Beaten Path 1-10: Le Bourget 1927; Rue des Rosiers 1962/65; Paris Skyline Countdown # 30; Jardin du Moulin de la Pointe; Passy, light pollution, Trinité, colorful facades.
Off the Beaten Path 11-20: Small theaters: La Comedia, Espace Marais, Theatre de l'Ile Saint-Louis; music in small churches; gay bars; Phillippe Auguste's wall: Wallace Fountains; Cité Universitaire.
Off the Beaten Path 21-30: Hemingway's Place de la Contrescarpe; Belleville; Passy; Allee des Cygnes.
Off the Beaten Path 31-40: Promenade plantée; Père Lachaise cemetery; Charenton-le-pont; Bois de Vincennes; town halls of several arrondissements, VT walking tour, Tournelle Bridge, Hôtel de Sens.
Off the Beaten Path 41-50: Galerie Véro-Dodat, Le Recrutement, Parc des Buttes-Chaumont, La Rotonde de la Villette, Jussieu campus, Théâtre Montparnasse, Rue de la Gaîté, Zadkine Museum, guided walking tour of Montparnasse, Le Sélect.
Off the Beaten Path 51-60: La Coupole, ateliers in rue Huyghens, Foujita’s atelier, rue Delambre, Bains Odessa, Rue de Rennes, Couvent des Cordelières, Château de la Reine Blanche.
Off the Beaten Path 61-70: 13th arrondissement & Les Docks.
Off the Beaten Path 71-80: Diderot University, Butte-aux-Cailles, Place de Clichy, …
Off the Beaten Path 81-90: Museum of the Sewers, Arsenal Library and Pavillon, Quai des Célestins, rue Jacob, rue Monttessuy, street art by Jana & JS.
Transportation 1-10: Six major railway stations; Train of Great Speed (TGV); InterCityExpress (ICE); EuroCity (EC).
Transportation 11-20: Five or six reasons not to take the Métro; Bus 38, Tramway T-3a and T-3b, Porte de Versailles, Porte de Vincennes, Porte de la Chapelle, Small Belt Line, Autolib’, Voiturier.
Transportation 21-22: Batobus, Métro line # 4.
On this page I have put my cycling tips into the category of General Tips a.k.a. Favorites, so as to keep them all together:
Favorites 1-10: Cycling in Paris, plus nine tips on Vélib', one of the world's largest bicycle sharing systems.
Favorites 11-20: The mayor's office, new bike lanes, more room for pedestrians, cycling in the bus lanes, signposted bicycle routes, Vélib’ book with sightseeing tours, cycling map.
Favorites 21-30: Guided bicycle tours, Roue Libre, helmets and bicycle safety, damage and repairs, cycling in city traffic, large intersections, deliveries, bicycle parking, mounted police.
Favorites 31-34: Cycling at night, Velib’ at night, a rainy day at Place de Roubaix, changes in the traffic rules.
The main attraction of the Dôme des Invalides is the Tomb of l'Emperrrreurrrrr, as I have called it in one of my... more travel advice
In the fourth arrondissement, at the corner of Quai des Célestins and Boulevard Henri IV, there is a fine example of a... more travel advice
- See All Chinese New Year
- See All Narrow sidewalks
- See All Real bicycles
- See All Métro line # 4
Nemorino's Related Pages
Paris Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Perambulations in Paris!"
- "My Paris: not only operas and bicycles . . ."
- "London is a riddle. Paris is an explanation."
- "Three plus one of the best museums in the world."
- "Paris - Over 40 years of love and hate."
- "Beatchick's Paris Adventure!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Paris
- Hotels in Paris
- Transportation in Paris
- Nightlife in Paris
- Restaurants in Paris
- Shopping in Paris
- Warnings and Dangers in Paris
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Paris
- 371 Reviews
- 1,540 Photos
- 130 Forum posts
- 244 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (64)
Have you been to Paris?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Paris
- Commented on one of Kaarina's Paris travel pages
- Posted in Travel Frankfurt am Main Forum "Re: Budjet Service Apartment"
- Commented on the Paris travel guide
- updated a Paris Travel Page "My Paris: not only operas and bicycles . . ."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Vauban memorial in the Dôme des Invalides"
- Wrote a Review Vauban memorial in the Dôme des Invalides about Dômes - Hôtel des Invalides in Paris Things to Do
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paris Intro, 371 reviews, 1540 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 97 reviews, 237 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 61 reviews, 222 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 49 reviews, 175 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marseille Intro, 45 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 56 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulon Intro, 42 reviews, 156 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 32 reviews, 150 photos, 6 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 44 reviews, 125 photos, 1 travelogue
- Zürich Intro, 43 reviews, 126 photos