"Opera and Cycling in Strasbourg" Strasbourg by Nemorino
Strasbourg Travel Guide: 903 reviews and 2,686 photos
When people ask me which opera I would take with me to a desert island if I could only take one, I always say it would be Don Carlos, by Giuseppe Verdi (1813-1901) -- but all seven versions.
On a recent visit to Strasbourg I saw the five-act French version, with the American tenor Andrew Richards in the title role. I have also seen a five-act Italian version in Frankfurt am Main and Wiesbaden, a four-act Italian version in Braunschweig, Dresden and Geneva, and a German translation in Dessau.
Strasbourg is a fine city for cycling, and also has a very modern and efficient tram system. I didn't use the trams myself, because I had a bicycle the whole time, but it's obvious that the trams are fast, quiet, large, long and come very often, up to 23 times an hour on each of the four lines. There is a tunnel under the central station for one of the tram lines, but otherwise they are all above ground. As in a number of other French and German cities, the recently re-instituted tram and light rail systems have done a lot to reduce automobile traffic and make the cities cleaner and more livable.
On June 10, 2007, I was on the first regularly scheduled high-speed TGV train from Paris to Strasbourg. We left Paris East Station (Gare de l'Est) at 12:24 and travelled non-stop to Strasbourg, arriving a mere two hours and twenty minutes later at 14:43. Not bad considering that it used to take four hours.
Please have a look at my updated Strasbourg transportation tips for more about this new rail connection.
This is a small local (but international) train which connects the French city of Strasbourg with the nearby Germany... more travel advice
From this sign in the Palais des Fêtes I learned that there is a verb in French called scotcher, which means to fasten... more travel advice
Nemorino's Related Pages
Strasbourg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Marchés de Noël in Strasbourg"
- "WHICH COUNTRY DO I BELONG TO!"
- "Strasbourg - At the crossroads of Europe"
- "First stop Strasbourg......"
- "European town"
- "Opera and Cycling in Strasbourg"
- "STRASBOURG - The Beautiful Capital of Alsace"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Strasbourg
- Hotels in Strasbourg
- Transportation in Strasbourg
- Nightlife in Strasbourg
- Restaurants in Strasbourg
- Shopping in Strasbourg
- Warnings and Dangers in Strasbourg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Strasbourg
- 25 Reviews
- 70 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 66 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (64)
Have you been to Strasbourg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Strasbourg
Photos in StrasbourgSee All Photos (70)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paris Intro, 371 reviews, 1540 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 97 reviews, 237 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 61 reviews, 222 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 49 reviews, 175 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marseille Intro, 45 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 56 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulon Intro, 42 reviews, 156 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 32 reviews, 150 photos, 6 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 44 reviews, 125 photos, 1 travelogue
- Zürich Intro, 43 reviews, 126 photos