"Singing in the reign . . ." Top 5 Page for this destination Aachen by Nemorino
Aachen Travel Guide: 506 reviews and 1,210 photos
Aachen is a border city just six kilometers away from the Three Countries' Corner, which is a place up in the woods where the borders of Germany, the Netherlands and Belgium all come together.
As in most border towns, the people tend to be monolingual and not very interested in the languages and cultures of their neighbors just up the road. (It would be great if somebody from Aachen could write me a comment contradicting this statement, in case it's not true.)
But Aachen wasn't always as peripheral as it is today. A mere twelve centuries ago Aachen was the center of a mighty empire during the reign of Charles the Great (742-814), better known as Charlemagne.
While I don't know much about Charlemagne or his empire, I am quite familiar with the opera Fierrabras, by Franz Schubert (1797-1828), which features Charlemagne as one of the main characters. This is an opera which is very seldom performed -- up to now there have been only four productions of it altogether, two of which I have seen. I have described one of these on my Zürich intro page.
The opera I saw on my recent visit to Aachen was not about Charlemagne but about a very different ruler, a dictator named Lucius Cornelius Sulla who reigned in Rome around 82 or 81 BC. In the opera he goes by his Italian name of Lucio Silla.
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1756-1791) was only sixteen when he composed Lucio Silla in 1772, but it was already his eighth opera. This was the third of three operas that he composed in Milan, Italy, for the “Regio Ducal Teatro”, which was Milan's opera house at the time. Like the other two it was a huge success, as I have described in a tip called Mozart in Milan.
The Aachen production was the second staging of Lucio Silla that I have seen so far. We had a beautiful production of it in Frankfurt am Main from 1993 to 1995, and I was also quite satisfied with the Aachen production, which was part of a series of four Mozart operas all involving rulers who at first seem to be vicious tyrants but turn out to be lenient and kind-hearted in the end. This was a common ending for opera plots in the 17th and 18th centuries, since the local rulers were often the ones who paid for the operas -- but today it's very hard for the stage director to make the ruler's sudden change of heart appear plausible on stage!
The German Railway System DB has recently expanded its Call a Bike program to include a small number of bikes in... more travel advice
Aachen does not have any tram lines, but they do have an extensive system of local and regional bus lines with frequent... more travel advice
Nemorino's Related Pages
Aachen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "City of Kings and Thermal Baths"
- "Karnival and Charlemagnia"
- "Singing in the reign . . ."
- "Aachen - City of Coronations and Cakes!"
- "Aachen - City of Charlemagne"
- "The city of Aachen"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Aachen
- Hotels in Aachen
- Transportation in Aachen
- Nightlife in Aachen
- Restaurants in Aachen
- Shopping in Aachen
- Warnings and Dangers in Aachen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Aachen
- 21 Reviews
- 62 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 35 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (89)
Have you been to Aachen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Aachen
Photos in AachenSee All Photos (62)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paris Intro, 400 reviews, 1672 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 100 reviews, 253 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 61 reviews, 222 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Besançon Intro, 48 reviews, 202 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Avignon Intro, 46 reviews, 190 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 49 reviews, 175 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marseille Intro, 45 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 56 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulon Intro, 42 reviews, 156 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 32 reviews, 151 photos, 6 travelogues