"Castle Festival and Street Art in Bad Vilbel" Bad Vilbel by Nemorino
Bad Vilbel Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 61 photos
Donizetti's music kept going on in my head during some of the scenes -- but only in my head, because this time I wasn't watching his fabulous Italian opera Maria Stuarda but rather the classic German play it was based on, Maria Stuart by Friedrich Schiller (1759-1805).
This is a "what if" drama. Schiller asked himself what would have happened if Mary Queen of Scots (1542-1587) had ever met face to face with her cousin Queen Elizabeth I of England (1533-1603).
This never happened in real life, but in Schiller's play and in Donizetti's opera they do meet, and after this confrontation Elizabeth finally gives in to her advisors and signs Mary's death warrant.
Maria Stuart was the sixth of Schiller's ten plays. He finished it in the year 1800, when he was forty-one years old, five years before his death.
Nearly all of Schiller's plays have been made into operas, by composers such as Gioachino Rossini (Guillaume Tell), Gaetano Donizetti (Maria Stuarda) and Giuseppe Verdi (Giovanna d'Arco, I masnadieri, Luisa Miller and Don Carlos).
I have written more about Friedrich Schiller on my Wiesbaden and Leipzig pages and in nine of the reviews in the Frankfurt Skyline Countdown on my Land Hessen page.
Besides its mineral water and the Castle Festival, Bad Vilbel has become known in recent years as something of a center for street art.
The city council and the utility company have been commissioning street artists to paint on walls in various parts of the city. They have also designated ‘legal walls’ where the local sprayers/artists can develop their styles, as long as they refrain from spraying in forbidden places.
The most prominent street artists who work regularly in Bad Vilbel are the team known as herakut (Jasmin Siddiqui and Falk Lehman), who have been coming to Bad Vilbel every year since 2008, often with their colleague Case (Andreas von Chrzanowski). They have been commissioned to make murals advertising the Castle Festival and also to decorate a long railway viaduct, which they did in six installments between 2008 and 2013.
The street artists Akut (Falk Lehman), Case (Andreas von Chrzanowski) and Hera (Jasmin Siddiqui) have been commissioned... more travel advice
Akut, Case and Hera returned to Bad Vilbel in 2009 to paint the second section of the railroad viaduct on Kasseler... more travel advice
Nemorino's Related Pages
Bad Vilbel Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Bad Vilbel
- 18 Reviews
- 61 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 34 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (62)
Have you been to Bad Vilbel?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bad Vilbel
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Donations to websites"
- Commented on one of Nemorino's Bad Vilbel travel pages
- updated a Bad Vilbel Travel Page "Castle Festival and Street Art in Bad Vilbel"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Castle Festival and Street Art in Bad Vilbel"
- Wrote a Review Festival Murals in Bad Vilbel Off The Beaten Path
Photos in Bad VilbelSee All Photos (61)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paris Intro, 358 reviews, 1478 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 97 reviews, 237 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 61 reviews, 222 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 49 reviews, 175 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marseille Intro, 45 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 56 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulon Intro, 42 reviews, 156 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 32 reviews, 150 photos, 6 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 44 reviews, 125 photos, 1 travelogue
- Zürich Intro, 43 reviews, 126 photos