"Castle Festival and Street Art in Bad Vilbel" Bad Vilbel by Nemorino

Bad Vilbel Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 61 photos

Maria Stuart

Donizetti's music kept going on in my head during some of the scenes -- but only in my head, because this time I wasn't watching his fabulous Italian opera Maria Stuarda but rather the classic German play it was based on, Maria Stuart by Friedrich Schiller (1759-1805).

This is a "what if" drama. Schiller asked himself what would have happened if Mary Queen of Scots (1542-1587) had ever met face to face with her cousin Queen Elizabeth I of England (1533-1603).

This never happened in real life, but in Schiller's play and in Donizetti's opera they do meet, and after this confrontation Elizabeth finally gives in to her advisors and signs Mary's death warrant.

Maria Stuart was the sixth of Schiller's ten plays. He finished it in the year 1800, when he was forty-one years old, five years before his death.

Nearly all of Schiller's plays have been made into operas, by composers such as Gioachino Rossini (Guillaume Tell), Gaetano Donizetti (Maria Stuarda) and Giuseppe Verdi (Giovanna d'Arco, I masnadieri, Luisa Miller and Don Carlos).

I have written more about Friedrich Schiller on my Wiesbaden and Leipzig pages and in nine of the reviews in the Frankfurt Skyline Countdown on my Land Hessen page.

Besides its mineral water and the Castle Festival, Bad Vilbel has become known in recent years as something of a center for street art.

The city council and the utility company have been commissioning street artists to paint on walls in various parts of the city. They have also designated ‘legal walls’ where the local sprayers/artists can develop their styles, as long as they refrain from spraying in forbidden places.

The most prominent street artists who work regularly in Bad Vilbel are the team known as herakut (Jasmin Siddiqui and Falk Lehman), who have been coming to Bad Vilbel every year since 2008, often with their colleague Case (Andreas von Chrzanowski). They have been commissioned to make murals advertising the Castle Festival and also to decorate a long railway viaduct, which they did in six installments between 2008 and 2013.

First review: Festival Murals

• Last visit to Bad Vilbel: Dec 2013
  • Intro Updated Feb 1, 2014

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jan 26, 2015 at 2:27 AM

Thanks for an interesting page! Great photo's of the Murals!

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Nov 9, 2014 at 9:47 AM

These are some really great murals !

Nov 9, 2014 at 10:28 AM

Glad you liked the murals. I finally met these artists at their recent exposition in Frankfurt.

• german_eagle's Profile Photo
    Nov 2, 2014 at 1:52 AM

Very interesting page, Don. I love murals. Too bad it's mostly plays, not operas at the Festival there. Still, the open-air theatre looks very nice and the performances are certainly good.

Nov 4, 2014 at 3:39 AM

Thanks, Ingo. The big attraction of Bad Vilbel for me is that it is an easy half-hour bicycle ride from my house, along the Nidda River, so I sometimes take a ride up there just to get some exercise.

• blueskyjohn's Profile Photo
    Sep 13, 2014 at 7:42 AM

Great photos of the street art. Thanks for sharing Don!

Sep 13, 2014 at 2:47 PM

John, I'm glad you liked the street art. (I have since met two of the artists, at an exhibition in Frankfurt). Thanks for finding and rating my Bad Vilbel tips.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Feb 28, 2014 at 4:53 AM

Love all the street art, and I enjoyed discovering a page I had not yet come across among all your others. Just one thing - the last tip doesn't link back here, as you usually do!

Feb 28, 2014 at 6:01 AM

Thanks Sarah, I have just fixed that.
      Glad you liked the street art!

• alancollins's Profile Photo
    Feb 21, 2014 at 12:48 AM

Great street art. A cut above the usual street art you see around railways.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2014 at 9:55 AM

Don, fantastic updates and facinating photos of the murals.

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo
    Feb 9, 2014 at 6:59 PM

Don, I have really enjoyed this page which as usual has been thoughtfully and delightfully written. I would love to see that street art, I think it is sensational and I must agree with you about mermaids and fishes. I wouldn't want them in my drinking water neither.

• breughel's Profile Photo
    Feb 5, 2014 at 5:57 AM

It's a pity that our taggers on the railway constructions and wagons are not of that artistic type!

• mindcrime's Profile Photo
    Sep 29, 2013 at 12:57 AM

I love plays/concerts/shows that take place in castles. It seems there's nothing else to see in this small town but worth to go there for a show.

Nemorino

“The world is full of wonderful places. Help keep them wonderful by not driving in them.”

Badges & Stats in Bad Vilbel

Have you been to Bad Vilbel?