Braunschweig Restaurant Tips by Nemorino Top 5 Page for this destination
Braunschweig Restaurants: 10 reviews and 7 photos
Since I'm a sucker for restaurants that are named after operas, I of course had to go to this one.
It describes itself as Das gemütliche Bierhaus, but I was there on a Sunday evening when business was really slow, so it was too empty to be really gemütlich, which is an untranslatable word denoting a particularly German kind of coziness. Not that this restaurant is run by Germans, but that doesn't matter since the Germans no longer have a monopoly on Gemütlichkeit.
The food was good, though. What I had was, err, some sort of Balkan lamb chops, I think. Sorry, I'm not very good at remembering the culinary details, but whatever it was it tasted fine and so did the beer.
That vending machine in the photo not only sells cigarettes, but will also recharge your mobile phone, which in German is quaintly called a "handy". To get cigarettes you have to insert a card proving you are at least 18, but there is no age limit for recharging a cell phone as far as I know. (The age limit on cigarettes is new, by the way. Until the end of 2006 even small children could buy cigarettes from vending machines as long as they had enough money and could reach the slot to put it in.)
Address: Schild 2, 38100 Braunschweig
Comparison: less expensive than average
Phone: (0531) 188 86
More Reviews (19)
Nemorino's Related Pages
Braunschweig Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Braunschweig, my home for now"
- "Opera and cycling in Braunschweig"
- "Of hearts and lions - Braunschweig"
- "Brewery or history?"
- "Braunschweig - a powerhouse of medieval Germany"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Braunschweig
- Hotels in Braunschweig
- Transportation in Braunschweig
- Nightlife in Braunschweig
- Restaurants in Braunschweig
- Shopping in Braunschweig
- See All...
Explore the World
- Kampong Sungai Gelugor Hotels
- Skala Sikias Hotels
- Knutsford Hotels
- Adraga Hotels
Badges & Stats in Braunschweig
- 20 Reviews
- 57 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 19 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (58)
Have you been to Braunschweig?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Braunschweig
- Posted in Travel Amsterdam Forum "Re: fined for pissing on the..."
- Commented on one of Nemorino's Braunschweig travel pages
- updated a Braunschweig Travel Page "Opera and cycling in Braunschweig"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Opera and cycling in Braunschweig"
- Wrote a Review Named after an opera in Braunschweig Restaurants
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paris Intro, 352 reviews, 1452 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 96 reviews, 234 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 61 reviews, 222 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 49 reviews, 175 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marseille Intro, 45 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 56 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulon Intro, 42 reviews, 156 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 32 reviews, 150 photos, 6 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 44 reviews, 125 photos, 1 travelogue
- Zürich Intro, 43 reviews, 126 photos