Darmstadt Transportation Tips by Nemorino Top 5 Page for this destination
Darmstadt Transportation: 15 reviews and 25 photos
1. Coming into Darmstadt by bicycle
Darmstadt is served by a number of fine regional cycling routes, most of which manage to get you in and out of town in ways that avoid the worst automobile streets.
The folks in this first photo are coming into Darmstadt from the south, from the direction of Pfungstadt and Bensheim.
Second photo: Here we have two of the many bicycle route signs: routes 17 and R8 going south, and route 20 going towards the center of Darmstadt.
1. Cyclists at the main station
In addition to its overblown infrastructure for motor vehicles, Darmstadt has also managed to find room for an extensive network of bicycle lanes.
Local cyclists are quick to point out gaps and flaws in the network, and they are of course perfectly right to campaign for improvements. On the whole, though, the bicycle lanes are quite serviceable, and I certainly wouldn't want to discourage anyone from cycling in Darmstadt.
I don't have any figures, but my impression is that bicycle use in Darmstadt is increasing from year to year.
Of course Darmstadt has an active chapter of the General German Bicycle Club (ADFC).
Second, third and fourth photos: Cyclists in the Schlosspark, near the castle.
1. Sign pointing to the bicycle station
Unlike its large backward neighbor Frankfurt am Main, Darmstadt is one of the many German cities that has a Bicycle Station directly adjoining the main railway station.
For 1 Euro per day, 10 Euros per month or 40 Euros per year you can park your bicycle here, in a dry and safe place, while going off somewhere on the train.
For 7.50 Euros per day you can also rent a bicycle here, and there is a repair shop on the premises.
The Bicycle Station is open from 5:30 in the morning until 23:00 at night.
Second photo: Entrance to the bicycle station.
Third photo: Bicycles for rent.
On the left side of the station,
next to the restaurant "Fürstenbahnhof".
49°52'19.04" North; 8°37'50.48" East
1. Darmstadt main station
During the day there are up to six trains an hour from Frankfurt to Darmstadt. Two of these are the local S-Bahn trains that stop at every station, and the rest are regional or InterCity trains.
Darmstadt no longer has a direct train connection to Paris, since the new high-speed ICEs take a somewhat shorter route directly from Frankfurt to Mannheim.
Second photo: Tracks at the Darmstadt main station.
49°52'20.81" North; 8°37'46.74" East
More Reviews (13)
Nemorino's Related Pages
Darmstadt Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Discovering Darmstadt with the eyes of a tourist"
- "Darmstadt: a City of Surprises"
- "Opera and Cycling in Darmstadt"
- "Exploring & discovring a jewel off the beaten path"
- "A Fleeting Look at Darmstadt"
- "Art Nouveau capital Darmstadt"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Darmstadt
- Hotels in Darmstadt
- Transportation in Darmstadt
- Nightlife in Darmstadt
- Restaurants in Darmstadt
- Shopping in Darmstadt
- Warnings and Dangers in Darmstadt
- See All...
Explore the World
- Raft Island Hotels
- Pully Hotels
- Fethiye Hotels
- Vung Tau
- Deception Pass State Park Hotels
- Friuli-Venezia Giulia
Badges & Stats in Darmstadt
- 17 Reviews
- 43 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 23 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (58)
Have you been to Darmstadt?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Darmstadt
Photos in DarmstadtSee All Photos (43)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paris Intro, 352 reviews, 1452 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 96 reviews, 234 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 61 reviews, 222 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 49 reviews, 175 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marseille Intro, 45 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 56 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulon Intro, 42 reviews, 156 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 32 reviews, 150 photos, 6 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 44 reviews, 125 photos, 1 travelogue
- Zürich Intro, 43 reviews, 126 photos