"Opera and cycling in Dortmund" Top 5 Page for this destination Dortmund by Nemorino
Dortmund Travel Guide: 142 reviews and 443 photos
Dortmund is one of several large cities in the Ruhr Valley, a former mining and heavy industry region that is now getting itself reoriented and is certainly cleaner than it used to be, though not as prosperous.
My immediate reason for going to Dortmund was that I really wanted to see Katharina Thoma’s highly praised new staging of the opera L’Eliogabalo by the early Baroque Italian composer Francesco Cavalli (1602-1676).
It turned out they were doing Richard Wagner’s opera The Flying Dutchman the night before, so I bought a ticket for that one as well.
Since I had booked the whole trip at short notice and hadn’t even looked at the cast lists, it came as a complete surprise when I got to the Dortmund Opera and discovered that three old acquaintances were singing in these operas. Andreas Macco sang the title role in The Flying Dutchman the first night. Elzbieta Ardam and Tamara Weimerich were both in L’Eliogabalo the second night.
All three of them have often sung at the Frankfurt Opera and all three have come as featured guests to my opera courses at one time or another.
Dortmund by the way was the fifty-fourth German opera house where I have seen at least one performance. See my album Opera Houses in Germany for the full list.
Between the two opera performances I spent a pleasant autumn day cycling rather unsystematically around the many parks and neighborhoods of Dortmund on one of the Metropolradruhr bikes, which turned out to be simply the familiar NextBikes under a different name.
Since I already had an account with NextBikes I didn’t have to register again for the Metropolradruhr system, but could just go ahead and check out a bike from one of their many stations in the center of Dortmund.
Like many other German cities, Dortmund built its first opera house at the beginning of the twentieth century. The... more travel advice
Der fliegende Holländer (The Flying Dutchman) is about a ship's captain who has to sail the seas for all eternity until... more travel advice
Nemorino's Related Pages
Dortmund Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome to Dortmund"
- "RitchiS1's new Dortmund Page"
- "Opera and cycling in Dortmund"
- "Dortmund - Operation Chastise Dambusters Tour 2011"
- "A Place to Work"
- "Dortmund Christmasmarkerd"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dortmund
- Hotels in Dortmund
- Transportation in Dortmund
- Nightlife in Dortmund
- Restaurants in Dortmund
- Shopping in Dortmund
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dortmund
- 16 Reviews
- 53 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 22 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (64)
Have you been to Dortmund?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dortmund
Photos in DortmundSee All Photos (53)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paris Intro, 371 reviews, 1540 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 97 reviews, 237 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 61 reviews, 222 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 49 reviews, 175 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marseille Intro, 45 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 56 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulon Intro, 42 reviews, 156 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 32 reviews, 150 photos, 6 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 44 reviews, 125 photos, 1 travelogue
- Zürich Intro, 43 reviews, 126 photos