"Moving towards something" bhemak's Profile
After teaching English and China, learning Chinese in China, and a good chunk of travel in China, Pakistan, and Turkey, I am looking for some international work. I'm close to being placed with MSF (Medicins sans Frontieres), but it might not happen. I'm presently in Minnesota and starting conversations about what Biafra really means and why East Asians don't need to eat dairy, but I'm usually met with blank stares and then the conversation changes to who got married or what's going on in the NBA.
Now you may notice that some of places you've been (or live) are ones I've been to. You may notice further that some places that you like are ones I'm not fond of. While I am always glad to travel some place new, I sometime realize I'm not fond of a place when I get back home. Please don't take it personally, it is just one persons opinion, and I may be completely wrong. I hope that you find my opinion useful, if not ignore my information.
Thanks and enjoy.
If you search around my pages, you will keep seeing 'my former home town.' This is not a joke, I've really moved around a lot. At last count, twelve metropolitan areas (so I won't include intra-ctiy moves). That is seven in the US and now five abroad. Chronologically it is : Seattle, Denver, Minneapolis, Cleveland, Tucson, Silver City (NM), greater LA, then two small towns in China (Yichuan, and Yanshi), Zhengzhou in China, then Kunming, China and sort of Olympus in Turkey.
So a valid question is which one is my 'real' home. Some say home is where you heart is or they say home is where you hang your hat. I'd go with a little from column A and a little from column B (name the TV show reference). So my home is some equal mix of China as an amalgam (rit changed my thinking), LA (the last American one), Tucson (college and it friends), and Minneapolis (family and childhood nostalgia). The rest I was at too little or too long ago.
I count living as any place where: a) I am for more than a week, b) Where I have all of my stuff, and c) I am employed or studying. All ten locales qualify. This list will probably increase during my life.
Watch and enjoy.
I saw an other VTer with a top list of places they like and it seems like a good idea, so I ripped it off. Someday I may have complete pages for all of these. These are my favorite to either live in or visit:
1) Los Angeles
2) Las Vegas
5) Angkor Wat (in Cambodia)
6) Kaula Lumpur
7) Luoyang (in China)
8) Bukit Lawang (In Sumatra, Indonesia)
If you see that I've listed a place as somewhere I've been, but don't have a good page (or any page) for it let me know. With a little encouragement I will gladly create a page knowing that there is a huge demand for it (read: demand of one person).
This is a list of random words:
blue corn tortilla chips
el pollo del mar
Laser Video Disc
Top Travel Pages
Explore the World
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 164 Reviews
- 130 Photos
- 10 Countries
- 35 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
- bhemak and onebadcat are now friends.
- created a Cabo San Lucas Travel Page "Cabo"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Cabo"
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "RE: The crappiness of Americans..."
- Wrote a Review The blue mosque about Blue Mosque - Sultanahmet in Istanbul Things to Do
updated their Profile Page "Moving towards something"
- Commented on hedkandi's profile page
Top 10 Pages
- Kunming Intro, 17 reviews, 9 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 13 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Beijing Intro, 9 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Xi'an Intro, 10 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Macao Intro, 10 reviews, 6 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luoyang Intro, 8 reviews, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Yangshuo Intro, 8 reviews, 6 photos
- Shanghai Intro, 7 reviews, 6 photos
- Gongshan Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos
- Santa Fe Intro, 5 reviews, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Hotels
- 22145 Reviews - 53809 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3078 Reviews - 5774 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15551 Reviews - 30943 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23056 Reviews - 47246 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 11939 Reviews - 26463 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1927 Reviews - 3713 Photos
- Myrtle Beach Hotels
- 319 Reviews - 425 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8353 Reviews - 17025 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 1905 Reviews - 4447 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 325 Reviews - 885 Photos
- Toronto Hotels
- 4263 Reviews - 8768 Photos
- Melbourne Hotels
- 3341 Reviews - 7498 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2036 Reviews - 3787 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7623 Reviews - 19412 Photos
- Panama City Beach Hotels
- 193 Reviews - 288 Photos