"Moving towards something" bhemak's Profile
After teaching English and China, learning Chinese in China, and a good chunk of travel in China, Pakistan, and Turkey, I am looking for some international work. I'm close to being placed with MSF (Medicins sans Frontieres), but it might not happen. I'm presently in Minnesota and starting conversations about what Biafra really means and why East Asians don't need to eat dairy, but I'm usually met with blank stares and then the conversation changes to who got married or what's going on in the NBA.
Now you may notice that some of places you've been (or live) are ones I've been to. You may notice further that some places that you like are ones I'm not fond of. While I am always glad to travel some place new, I sometime realize I'm not fond of a place when I get back home. Please don't take it personally, it is just one persons opinion, and I may be completely wrong. I hope that you find my opinion useful, if not ignore my information.
Thanks and enjoy.
If you search around my pages, you will keep seeing 'my former home town.' This is not a joke, I've really moved around a lot. At last count, twelve metropolitan areas (so I won't include intra-ctiy moves). That is seven in the US and now five abroad. Chronologically it is : Seattle, Denver, Minneapolis, Cleveland, Tucson, Silver City (NM), greater LA, then two small towns in China (Yichuan, and Yanshi), Zhengzhou in China, then Kunming, China and sort of Olympus in Turkey.
So a valid question is which one is my 'real' home. Some say home is where you heart is or they say home is where you hang your hat. I'd go with a little from column A and a little from column B (name the TV show reference). So my home is some equal mix of China as an amalgam (rit changed my thinking), LA (the last American one), Tucson (college and it friends), and Minneapolis (family and childhood nostalgia). The rest I was at too little or too long ago.
I count living as any place where: a) I am for more than a week, b) Where I have all of my stuff, and c) I am employed or studying. All ten locales qualify. This list will probably increase during my life.
Watch and enjoy.
I saw an other VTer with a top list of places they like and it seems like a good idea, so I ripped it off. Someday I may have complete pages for all of these. These are my favorite to either live in or visit:
1) Los Angeles
2) Las Vegas
5) Angkor Wat (in Cambodia)
6) Kaula Lumpur
7) Luoyang (in China)
8) Bukit Lawang (In Sumatra, Indonesia)
If you see that I've listed a place as somewhere I've been, but don't have a good page (or any page) for it let me know. With a little encouragement I will gladly create a page knowing that there is a huge demand for it (read: demand of one person).
This is a list of random words:
blue corn tortilla chips
el pollo del mar
Laser Video Disc
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 164 Reviews
- 130 Photos
- 10 Countries
- 35 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
- bhemak and onebadcat are now friends.
- created a Cabo San Lucas Travel Page "Cabo"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Cabo"
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "RE: The crappiness of Americans..."
- Wrote a Review The blue mosque about Blue Mosque - Sultanahmet in Istanbul Things to Do
updated their Profile Page "Moving towards something"
- Commented on hedkandi's profile page
Top 10 Pages
- Kunming Intro, 17 reviews, 9 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 13 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Beijing Intro, 9 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Xi'an Intro, 10 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Macao Intro, 10 reviews, 6 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luoyang Intro, 8 reviews, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Yangshuo Intro, 8 reviews, 6 photos
- Shanghai Intro, 7 reviews, 6 photos
- Gongshan Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos
- Santa Fe Intro, 5 reviews, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Hotels
- 22507 Reviews - 55088 Photos
- Fort Lauderdale Hotels
- 659 Reviews - 1389 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2702 Reviews - 7927 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23331 Reviews - 48936 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 2029 Reviews - 4971 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15667 Reviews - 31359 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 328 Reviews - 897 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1933 Reviews - 3730 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3100 Reviews - 5884 Photos
- Punta Cana Hotels
- 422 Reviews - 1020 Photos
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- 781 Reviews - 1749 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2059 Reviews - 3877 Photos
- Bangkok Hotels
- 10316 Reviews - 22906 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 12025 Reviews - 26772 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7829 Reviews - 20234 Photos