"2400 years old town" Top 5 Page for this destination Berat by njonjo

Berat Travel Guide: 111 reviews and 377 photos

called also '1000 window's city'

Berat is one of the best cities to visit in Albania. The old (and interesting) part of the town consists of residential quarters of Mangalem and Gorrica, and the citadel, builded on a hill top. The architecture is unique in Albania, and substantial part of old city is well preserved. Osum river runs between Mangalem and Gorrica quarters . The historical still existing buildings date from XII to XVIII century.
I had a great time visiting Berat this January. I walked in the incredibly narrow streets in Mangalem quarter, visited Ethnographic and Onufri museums and the Castle. It's possible to hire a guide for the castle, there are some locals who will offer to guide you. I really enjoyed this guide company and information and payed him 5$ (500Leke) for a complete tour of the castle. Unfortunately, the last bus to Tirana was departing at 15.00, me and my girlfriend got to know this just in the time we were looking for a nice place to have lunch, but had to stop the visit and take the bus. Hope to go there again in spring and hike in Tomorr mountain.

Tomorr mountain, 2416m, is the skyline centerpiece in Berat.
Every August a pilgrimage is organised in Tomorr, as it is kind of holy place for 'bektashi' religion (halvetians).

There are wonderful byzantine churches in the castle, only 8 of 42 have survived. Afrescoes are made by wellknown painters of the time such as Onufri and his son, Nikolla.

• Pros:unique architecture, lots of sights,history
  • Cons:last bus leaves at 15.00
  • In a nutshell:most interesting city in Albania
  • Last visit to Berat: Jan 2005
  • Intro Updated Mar 28, 2005

• planxty's Profile Photo
    May 30, 2009 at 9:24 AM

Hi Edvin, excellent Berat page. Perhaps I will be lucky enough to visit some day. fergy.

• Jun 25, 2008 at 1:39 PM

Yes it is still a sacred place! My father was named after Mount Tomor!

• grets's Profile Photo
    Jun 29, 2007 at 11:21 AM

You excellent page on Berat brough back memories of a very interesting visit five years ago. Maybe one day I will go back........?

• GandalfOnTour's Profile Photo
    Sep 11, 2006 at 7:30 AM

Thanks for the interesting info on a place I haven't been to yet but I now think I will have to add it to my list

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    May 2, 2005 at 2:04 AM

A very interesting page. It seems that I have missed a lot of places when I visited Berat ! I have to pay another visit !

• jckim's Profile Photo
    Mar 27, 2005 at 7:02 AM

Berat are my interesting place too!!. I will trip to the Albania this year maybe! it's only last bus 15:00? -,.-.... Good tips and pics, Cheers!

• Aurorae's Profile Photo
    Feb 11, 2005 at 5:55 AM

Great page about a very interesting and beautiful place! I'd love to explore more and visit myself!!!

njonjo