"The town made of stone" Top 5 Page for this destination Gjirokaster by njonjo
Gjirokaster Travel Guide: 103 reviews and 213 photos
Gjirokater is situated in south Albania, near the border with Greece (Kakavije-border crossing point). It has been declared a museum city. The town has indeed a unique architecture and everything is made with stone, the walls, the streets, the roofs.
The ruins of an imposant castle look the town from above, offering magnificient views of the town itself, Drinos valley and Lunxheria mountain.
After the fall of the communist regime, in 1990, many habitants of Gjirokaster migrated in Greece and in other countries and today many houses in the old part of the city are abandoned and in a pitiful state. There are ongoing desperate efforts to include Gjirokaster among UNESCO world heritage sites as the only way to raise some funds for the riconstruction of the old quarters of the town. Albania risks to loose for ever a real jewel of architecture.
Gjirokaster is the home town of Enver Hoxha, the communist leader who ruled Albania from 1944 to 1985 and of Ismail Kadare the most famous Albanian writer. Kadare's novel 'Cronichle in stone' (translated 'City of stone' in some languages) is a wonderful novel about Gjirokaster during WWII.
- Pros:interesting architecture, castle, great views
- Cons:no reconstruction of historic houses
- In a nutshell:A wonderful town in the end of its ages
Many old characteristic houses in Gjirokaster are abandoned and empty, so you may feel the desire to enter and have a... more travel advice
There are not so many things to see in this museum, but puting some canons in the interiors of the castle created... more travel advice
njonjo's Related Pages
Gjirokaster Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "NEW Gjirokastra/Argyrokastron page"
- "City of a Thousand Stairs"
- "A quiet beauty"
- "The town made of stone"
- "Old city"
- "World Heritage town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gjirokaster
- Hotels in Gjirokaster
- Transportation in Gjirokaster
- Nightlife in Gjirokaster
- Restaurants in Gjirokaster
- Shopping in Gjirokaster
- Warnings and Dangers in Gjirokaster
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gjirokaster
- 7 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Gjirokaster?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gjirokaster
Photos in GjirokasterSee All Photos (7)
Top 5 Pages
- Vuno Intro, 21 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berat Intro, 12 reviews, 15 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shkoder Intro, 8 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gjirokaster Intro, 7 reviews, 7 photos
- Divjake Intro, 5 reviews, 8 photos