"The Izu Peninsula" Top 5 Page for this destination Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koen by chodearm
Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koen Travel Guide: 182 reviews and 670 photos
IF YOUR LOOKING FOR INFO ON MT. FUJI PLEASE GO TO MY MISHIMA PAGE AND MAKE SURE YOU READ THE CLIMBING MT FUJI TRAVELOUGUE.
Fuji or The Fuge looms at the head of Honshus tail. Honshu, the largest of the Islands that dot the Pacific ocean to make up Japan, has many peninsulas forking off. Izu seems to be special in the amount of volcanic activity sparking off below the ground. This hot magnma forms Izu's largest tourism draw, the Onsen (Japanese baths).
Upon landing on Honshu, Yukijohn was welcomed to Japan with a family visit to Izu. I understood the concept as a similar rendition of the SPA. My undersatanding swayed with the first wrap of the Yukata belt. Never had I donned any other garb than should I say it, traditional American clothes, Jeans and a T-shirt, well occassionaly but never a robe publicly. Once over the costuming shock we headed to dinner with the fam. Dinner was being served in a Tatami room, handed out by Kimono clad women who spoke very little and just acted their part as server. Couple bows and nods of the head later and I was finding my legs tied into a pretzel stuffed under a low lyeing table, buttocks spreading out on the tatami floor. Try sitting this way for two hours and parts of you die off as the blood loses its circulatory path. Pins and needles arise.
The food makes it to its landing in front of me. Little plates containing a single fish here, a block of tofu there are set out forming a crest in front of me. I'm starving since survivng the airline food and quickly indulge, trying to stomach the dried fish head, and overcome the stare he burned me with.
"Listen head...I don't wanna eat ya but I gotta, I think you would taste like soiled garments!"
As I said, the taste matched my preconcieved thought.
Food and putting it down and keeping it down was definately aided by the beer. Asahi, and a few Kirins doubled as a slide for the fish head to reach mylargest of intestines. The first front was conquered and I thought I was done. Than the KARAOKE machine rolled in.
"Pray engrish song"
The book flapped like a bird and landed cozily into my crossed legs. The added weight stretched my legs a bit, the only relief this book could give. I thumbed through looking for roman charachters, for anything decipherable was sought. I came to a page with THE BEATLES transribed as the header.
"Give me one of these"
Of course I should have been more specific, the luck of the draw was no luck to me. A song I never heard less know the flow of. I babbled and groppled with a melody and beat to no adue.
"Yuki, he may be nice looking, but he can't sing" Yukis uncle shouts!
Humiliation has to be taken with two cents. I'm the foreigner and I am the new household fixture, so of course all eyes were directed to me. With this I thought I was free, remember I said "THOUGHT".
After dinner the family was to split into groups and bathe together. In America nudity is often looked at in such a primiscuous way where your privates remain private. Land of the free? Japanese men bathe at these resorts together and the women do the same. Both male and female rock it nude. There was no way I was getting naked with the fam. This was a hard hit to the men of the family.
"It's Japanese tradition, you have to."
"Ah Yuki......do I have to?"
Izu is the place to find one of the only white sand beaches of Honshu (imported), waterfalls and nature at its peak, and an abundance of art and cultural museums, from dolls to music boxes. The food lands on your plate usually from the sea, and the air always has a salty jist to it. It seems to be the Japanese city getaway with few if any tourist. This is the real way the Japanese are living, this is guidebook free territory.
- Pros:Beaches.....its a peninsula!
- Cons:100 dollars train ride away.
Since parking was a potential problem we sent off early from Mishima to get to this beach. 6 am Hirokazu's engine buzzed... more travel advice
Jogasaki gots some rugged coastline. A hiking trail that extends 9 km weaves a path through this beautiful landscape... more travel advice
chodearm's Related Pages
Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hakone: Lake Ashi, Mount Fuji & More"
- "The Fuji-Hakone-Izu National Park & Mount Fuji"
- "The Izu Peninsula"
- "Fuji Hakone National Park"
- "Mount Fuji"
- "Mount Fuji and Vicinity"
- "Mountain and lake"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koen
- Hotels in Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koen
- Transportation in Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koen
- Nightlife in Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koen
- Restaurants in Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koen
- Shopping in Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koen
- Warnings and Dangers in Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koen
- 12 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koen
- Posted in Travel Sevilla Forum "Thought I would give it a try..."
- Commented on one of peemapat's Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koen travel pages
- updated a Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koen Travel Page "The Izu Peninsula"
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Izu Peninsula"
- Wrote a Review Way off.....and Yukes in Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koen Off The Beaten Path
Photos in Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koenSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Island Intro, 90 reviews, 105 photos, 5 travelogues
- Mishima Intro, 27 reviews, 61 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 45 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Acadia National Park Intro, 28 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Watkins Glen State Park Intro, 24 reviews, 46 photos, 4 travelogues
- Rothenburg ob der Tauber Intro, 30 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hong Kong Intro, 25 reviews, 32 photos
- Würzburg Intro, 22 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brooklyn Intro, 26 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Culebra Intro, 22 reviews, 24 photos