"Smaller than Kyoto but just as grand" Top 5 Page for this destination Kamakura by chodearm
Kamakura Travel Guide: 138 reviews and 473 photos
When Temples and Shrines come up in my minds rolodex two cities are listed. Kyoto of course, and second Kamakura. An easy day trip from Tokyo, is a step into a couple thousand years previous. The second largest Buddaha to stand in Japan calls Kamakura home, along with an endless stroll around to very impressive Shrine complexes.
Yuki and I were car less and money was dwindling, so a friend of ours decided he would take us to the other side of the Hakone mountains. Little did I know, our friend was into race car driving, his seatbelts had a kind of padding with sponsors names adorning them. The drive to and from Kamakura put me into a state of rigamortis, every forthcoming turn locked up my knees and had me grabbing for anything stable. I figured if we were to hit something at least my hands and maybe arms would stay in the car, shoulders and everything else may just rip through the window. Luckliy the city of Kamakura was such a sedative place. I'm supposed to be relaxing not tensing up.
All temples and shrines don the paper wrapped around something. Kind of a very characteristic detail that says I have been here. They are used as a good luck wish kinda thingy. In America, it is similar to "Herman wuz here, March 7th 2000" only that just defaces property and gives you no luck at all.
chodearm's Related Pages
Kamakura Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "KAMAKURA - A blissful escape from hectic Tokyo!!"
- "Kamakura - Old Military Capital"
- "Smaller than Kyoto but just as grand"
- "THE GREAT BUDDHA, ( DAIBUTSU )"
- "Kamakura - The Great Buddha"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kamakura
- Hotels in Kamakura
- Transportation in Kamakura
- Restaurants in Kamakura
- Shopping in Kamakura
- Warnings and Dangers in Kamakura
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kamakura
- 9 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Kamakura?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kamakura
Photos in KamakuraSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Island Intro, 90 reviews, 105 photos, 5 travelogues
- Mishima Intro, 27 reviews, 61 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 45 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Acadia National Park Intro, 28 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Watkins Glen State Park Intro, 24 reviews, 46 photos, 4 travelogues
- Rothenburg ob der Tauber Intro, 30 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hong Kong Intro, 25 reviews, 32 photos
- Würzburg Intro, 22 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brooklyn Intro, 26 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Culebra Intro, 22 reviews, 24 photos