"Smaller than Kyoto but just as grand" Top 5 Page for this destination Kamakura by chodearm

Kamakura Travel Guide: 138 reviews and 473 photos

When Temples and Shrines come up in my minds rolodex two cities are listed. Kyoto of course, and second Kamakura. An easy day trip from Tokyo, is a step into a couple thousand years previous. The second largest Buddaha to stand in Japan calls Kamakura home, along with an endless stroll around to very impressive Shrine complexes.

Yuki and I were car less and money was dwindling, so a friend of ours decided he would take us to the other side of the Hakone mountains. Little did I know, our friend was into race car driving, his seatbelts had a kind of padding with sponsors names adorning them. The drive to and from Kamakura put me into a state of rigamortis, every forthcoming turn locked up my knees and had me grabbing for anything stable. I figured if we were to hit something at least my hands and maybe arms would stay in the car, shoulders and everything else may just rip through the window. Luckliy the city of Kamakura was such a sedative place. I'm supposed to be relaxing not tensing up.

All temples and shrines don the paper wrapped around something. Kind of a very characteristic detail that says I have been here. They are used as a good luck wish kinda thingy. In America, it is similar to "Herman wuz here, March 7th 2000" only that just defaces property and gives you no luck at all.

• Last visit to Kamakura: Aug 2002
  • Intro Updated Aug 17, 2004

• ExGuyParis's Profile Photo
    Jan 23, 2006 at 8:24 AM

I love your photos from here. It is one of those places that is burned in my brain, even many years later. I especially appreciate the standing on your head shot!

• bluebug's Profile Photo
    Sep 16, 2005 at 2:57 PM

Very in-ter-est-ing pages you have here. Glad someone still takes manuel photos. :)

• May 7, 2005 at 9:05 AM

very cool page! lovely pics! greets from FLorida =0) Priscila

• Wild_Orchid's Profile Photo
    Feb 27, 2005 at 5:34 PM

interesting tips and unique homage to Buddha. :-)

• bpacker's Profile Photo
    Jan 13, 2005 at 5:52 PM

Beautiful temple, interesting headstand worship and the good photographs!

• kazander's Profile Photo
    Dec 23, 2004 at 10:45 AM

what a beautiful place. I've never been in a Buddha hiney before...

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Nov 3, 2004 at 12:52 PM

Daibutsu was obviously very impressed by your 27 second head stand. Even though he was trying to keep a straight face, of course.

• Aurorae's Profile Photo
    Jul 24, 2004 at 8:36 AM

Very interesting!!! Japan is so beautiful, I'd love to go there some day....

chodearm

“Put me elsewhere.”

Badges & Stats in Kamakura

Have you been to Kamakura?

Latest Activity in Kamakura