"Staten Island, The Forgotten Boro" Top 5 Page for this destination Staten Island by chodearm

Staten Island Travel Guide: 48 reviews and 88 photos

Tourism Beyond the Ferry

My lady and I crossed the tumultous waters of the narrows leading to the NY Habor via the Verrazanos Narrows. The plan, to see much of Staten Island that most don't make it to just because most never get off that ferry. Yes the view from the ferry is unexplainable, but when you touch down on that Island try to get off and set out on foot or by mass transit. There is much sight seeing to be had on this obscure land mass. I was suprised. For all the years I have been a New Yorker I only have been there twice and that's including this voyage. After this time I promised myself to return. Staten Island is so seperated from the city, its only accessible by the Boat or by bridge. There are no trains and no subway that head across the Harbor and there is no way you can convince a taxi driver to go through NJ or Brooklyn to reach that far off Island. Well if you wave a Ben Franklin (100$ Bill) in front...Maybe. This isolation has kept the neighborhoods rather undeveloped in relation to the other boros. There are plots of undeveloped land dispersed throughout the boro and there are a ton of parks. Their is an abundance of cultural institutions that hardly ever get publicity in the bigger more famous boros. World class attractions so worth the trip.

PATH CLOSED

Sometimes signs don't mean much. Prior to entering this path was a sign that read "PATH CLOSED". To step on some toes I passed it up so I can relive my days of trespassing. New York City seems to have regulations abound and sometimes you gotta overstep the rediculousness. Drinking in public is only a 25 dollar fine now, no court time, nothing just a slap on the wrist, trespassing will run you throgh central booking, especially in this time of terrorism. The authorities need to lighten up. So be cautious, know when to trespass.

• Last visit to Staten Island: Jun 2004
  • Intro Updated Jul 22, 2004

• Aug 14, 2006 at 4:42 PM

im one of those folks that just went for the free ride. looks like i missed out. as missed out as those jamaicans still crying over my lost booty. :-)

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Feb 2, 2006 at 2:51 PM

Since when is the Staten Island Ferry for free? It used to cost a nickel when I went on it, later went up to a quarter. Greetings from – no, not Kilmeyers, the real thing.

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Nov 25, 2004 at 4:24 AM

One of my very favorite ferry rides is to Staten Island. My daughter lived w/ friends there and they ferried to work every day. Best possible living arrangements in NYC, as far as I'm concerned.

• kazander's Profile Photo
    Aug 24, 2004 at 7:29 AM

Just passed through here the other weekend. I had no idea there were cool things to see in Staten Island!

• gilabrand's Profile Photo
    Jul 27, 2004 at 4:57 AM

I never knew about any of these things! The only place I ever visited on Staten Island was the Jewish cemetery. Great job!

chodearm

“Put me elsewhere.”

Badges & Stats in Staten Island

Have you been to Staten Island?

Latest Activity in Staten Island