"Staten Island, The Forgotten Boro" Top 5 Page for this destination Staten Island by chodearm
Staten Island Travel Guide: 48 reviews and 85 photos
My lady and I crossed the tumultous waters of the narrows leading to the NY Habor via the Verrazanos Narrows. The plan, to see much of Staten Island that most don't make it to just because most never get off that ferry. Yes the view from the ferry is unexplainable, but when you touch down on that Island try to get off and set out on foot or by mass transit. There is much sight seeing to be had on this obscure land mass. I was suprised. For all the years I have been a New Yorker I only have been there twice and that's including this voyage. After this time I promised myself to return. Staten Island is so seperated from the city, its only accessible by the Boat or by bridge. There are no trains and no subway that head across the Harbor and there is no way you can convince a taxi driver to go through NJ or Brooklyn to reach that far off Island. Well if you wave a Ben Franklin (100$ Bill) in front...Maybe. This isolation has kept the neighborhoods rather undeveloped in relation to the other boros. There are plots of undeveloped land dispersed throughout the boro and there are a ton of parks. Their is an abundance of cultural institutions that hardly ever get publicity in the bigger more famous boros. World class attractions so worth the trip.
Sometimes signs don't mean much. Prior to entering this path was a sign that read "PATH CLOSED". To step on some toes I passed it up so I can relive my days of trespassing. New York City seems to have regulations abound and sometimes you gotta overstep the rediculousness. Drinking in public is only a 25 dollar fine now, no court time, nothing just a slap on the wrist, trespassing will run you throgh central booking, especially in this time of terrorism. The authorities need to lighten up. So be cautious, know when to trespass.
I have resided in the NYC area for over two decades, so in my 26th year I finally boarded the Staten Island Ferry. Not a... more travel advice
I always search for the institutions that are administered by the National Park System. They always are real thorough... more travel advice
chodearm's Related Pages
Staten Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Staten Island - unknown nugget in NYC"
- "Staten Island, The Forgotten Boro"
- "4th longest boardwalk in the world ? Find it here!"
- "Staten Island"
- "Staten Italy?"
- "Staten Island"
- "LA HISTORICA STATEN ISLAND (NY)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Staten Island
- Hotels in Staten Island
- Transportation in Staten Island
- Nightlife in Staten Island
- Restaurants in Staten Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Staten Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Staten Island
- 9 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Staten Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Staten Island
Photos in Staten IslandSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Island Intro, 90 reviews, 105 photos, 5 travelogues
- Mishima Intro, 27 reviews, 61 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 45 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Acadia National Park Intro, 28 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Watkins Glen State Park Intro, 24 reviews, 46 photos, 4 travelogues
- Rothenburg ob der Tauber Intro, 30 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hong Kong Intro, 25 reviews, 32 photos
- Würzburg Intro, 22 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brooklyn Intro, 26 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Culebra Intro, 22 reviews, 24 photos