"The void between two fishtails" Shelter Island by chodearm
Shelter Island Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 17 photos
How did it stay this way. How, with the LI wine countries popularity to the north and the Hamptons to the south, did this Island keeps its charm. I'm guessing the bay surrounding created a moat that people who endured the grueling east-bound summer traffic already had enough. Getting onto a ferry at this point would just become too much travel for Week-end Warriors. Development seemed to stop dead about 100 years ago and still remains frozen in Long Island history. Scattered throughout, large Victorian homes and Inns create a quaint seaside atmosphere with leafy roads weaving against the city street grid system.
Besides calm beaches hoola-hooping on all sides, 1/3 of the island kepts it's bearings with nature and has been preserved to what is now known as Mashomack Widlife Preserve.
Yukijohn hereby states to voyage east on the 26th day of May, 2005th lunar calendar year. We will first aquire a case of assorted wines from the north fork wineries and than proceed to the carry-over ferry to Shelter Island. Upon departure we will hunt out the Chequitt Inn, place our baggage and scurry out into the 12 mile loop through Mashomack. As hunger sets in we will only enjoy fruits of the land below us, only eating and drinking local product.
- Pros:See Long Island how it could've been before suburban sprawl
As night settled around us we actually kicked it back in the room. This is a rare occassion, we usually only use a hotel... more travel advice
chodearm's Related Pages
Shelter Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The void between two fishtails"
- "Shelter Island"
- "A Visit to Sunset Beach"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Shelter Island
- Hotels in Shelter Island
- Transportation in Shelter Island
- Restaurants in Shelter Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Shelter Island
- 10 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Shelter Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Shelter Island
Photos in Shelter IslandSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Island Intro, 90 reviews, 105 photos, 5 travelogues
- Mishima Intro, 27 reviews, 61 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 45 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Acadia National Park Intro, 28 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Watkins Glen State Park Intro, 24 reviews, 46 photos, 4 travelogues
- Rothenburg ob der Tauber Intro, 30 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hong Kong Intro, 25 reviews, 32 photos
- Würzburg Intro, 22 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brooklyn Intro, 26 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Culebra Intro, 22 reviews, 24 photos