"LONG ISLAND" Top 5 Page for this destination Long Island by chodearm

Long Island Travel Guide: 123 reviews and 203 photos

LONG ISLAND, FISH IN DA WARTAH

Long Island tends to be overlooked as a destination. It sits just east of Manhatten and NYC. Its shape, reminiscent of a fish, has over a thousand miles of shoreline. Queens and Brooklyn actually lie on the western tip, being the fish head. Nassau make the fish heart and suffolk finishes off to the tail. To the north lies the Long Island Sound seperating LI fro Connecticut and to the south lies the Atlantic. Its a playground for NYC rich and elite as summer rounds the corner The Hamptons thrive. The Island is bisected by the LIE (Long Island Expressway) which doubles as the fishies backbone. The bottom tail (south fork) ends with Montauk Lighthouse and the famous Hamptons where as the top fin (north fork) house all wineries and farms. Nassau is more like the city where as Suffolk has more open spaces and a bit more barren and wooded. The Island is serviced by the LIRR which runs every few minutes out of Penn Station in Manhatten and is owned and operated by the MTA of NYC which is the same fools that supply us our Subway service in the city.

I was born in Long Island or on it which ever way you want to put it. I lived 3 minutes from the ocean, and definately got my moneys worth. After crossing the country a couple times I realised the importance of having the sea so close. Its strange how many people live so close to the ocean in LI and maybe go once a summer. Use that place. Like my parents for example. They hardly get to the beach, when theres people who travel thousands of miles to see ocean. It's a weird priorety set that occurs on the Island where the environment is just a repeditive Flinstone's backdrop to there LIE travels but never stopped to reach behind the scenes. People yearn for the largest SUV and a lot of land hopefully exceeding the stock 40ft by 100 ft. I hope and visually see LI becoming a bit more appealing to tourism and the home growns using their backyards correctly. Get out there and stop watching the television LI.

My local beach

I guess the summers spent on the beach origionally got me set to want to explore more. It was the enjoyment a space or place can give me that set me out on the right foot. Seeing the ocean as common as it was became more and more appreciated as I made my first journies in to the big city. As a LIer we looked at the city as this big scary monster. I was introduced origionally to the city by my Uncle who left me there by accident when I was 13. I had no choice but to figure out how to get back to the Island. This taught me a lot. Though the family blamed Uncle Rick for this mishap I took it in stride. I was free and able. I can ride the LIRR all myself, and I did it correctly. I was proud. This exploration into the city opened the doors to me wanting more of the world then just LI. Peers in school were always astonished at how much I went to the city. These kids would only go maybe at most once a year, but I was spending every weekend there. I was skateboarding since 10 years old so I was always searching for new terrain and the possibilities were endless in the NY streets. So as college time approached I planned my big exodus to the monster at the head of the fish.

Summer

That time is just over the horizen. The beaches and shoelines of Long Island are soon to get more action than a 1980's Times square hooker. The thought of listening to the slow rumble of wave breakers gives my endorphins a shot of adrenaline and overwhelms my persona with excitement. There is no way to explain the drowsyness and relaxation one feels after putting in a full day upon the sands. I get the urge to never shower again as to keep that thickness my skin and hair feel from the salt sprays carried by the ocean mist. Atlantic, you don't have to wait much longer for me to penetrate you with my whole self.

• Pros:So close to NYC yet so undiscovered
  • Cons:A lot of locals have only been to the city 1 or 2 times
  • In a nutshell:Slowly growing into a righful destination
  • Last visit to Long Island: Aug 2004
  • Intro Updated Apr 1, 2005

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    May 7, 2009 at 8:36 AM

I must return to this page again. I enjoyed Long Island for the short time I was there. So much more to explore.

• 807Wheaton's Profile Photo
    Apr 5, 2009 at 12:47 PM

Your L I page was exactly what I was looking for - and more! I will come back later to browse through the rest of your tips. Thanks - and greetings from Augusta, Georgia!

• kiwi's Profile Photo
    May 6, 2008 at 5:48 PM

Would still be great to see this page moved to the correct location rather than in the middle of the Adirondacks, where you have it. Pam :-)

• RafaelTheSecond's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2007 at 12:54 PM

So close to NYC you can find such a perfect escape!!! I love it, great pages!;)

• iaint's Profile Photo
    Oct 10, 2007 at 9:27 AM

is Mastic near Shirley? i worked in Shirley for a few months 30 years ago

• grandmaR's Profile Photo
    May 9, 2007 at 8:44 AM

You've written your page about Long Island in the middle of Indian Lake in the Adirondaks

• gilabrand's Profile Photo
    Apr 25, 2007 at 12:38 AM

Poison ivy...Yes, I do remember that from my camp days.

• diver-x's Profile Photo
    Mar 29, 2006 at 7:38 PM

Great page! Thanks for the memories!

• karenincalifornia's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2006 at 4:06 PM

I am planning to come to Long Island for a day next week, and now after reading your fabulous tips, I think I need a week. LI wine country?? Oh, THIS I must see....

• stickynickyuk's Profile Photo
    Nov 27, 2005 at 11:27 AM

Thanks for sharing ~~ Have a Great Week ~ Take Care ~ hUgs ~

chodearm

“Put me elsewhere.”

Badges & Stats in Long Island

Have you been to Long Island?

Latest Activity in Long Island