"One of two Spanish Virgin Islands" Culebra by chodearm

Culebra Travel Guide: 50 reviews and 102 photos

One hour ferry to something very different

Culebra was just a slight mention in travels books. You hear about the army's presence, you hear about Flamenco Beach and its claim as second best beach in the world, and you hear that its closer to the Virgin Islands and is known as a Spanish Virgin Island. It seems that the mute nature people go about speaking of Culebra is to keep it as a secret place tucked away somewhere out there in the Caribbean. It seems that those who have had the luck of staying there may not want to share this slice of true paradise.
If you can stomach the ferry chaos in Farjardo you will be rewarded with something very different from the mainland. You will feel completely safe, you will feel the presence of the Carribean and you will be over-joyed that there are places in the world like this that still exist.

Culebra is only approximately 4miles by 7miles. So easily explorable by moped. Don't bring your car here and contribute to ruining something so precious. People come for the amazing snorkeling and for the beaches that define paradise.

This was my first real introduction to what lyes below the surface of Carribean Waters. I now understand the want to go deeper to see further. From the top looking down I would see something interesting, take a large breath and hurridly swim to the object, spend a second or two with it, than the salt content would spit me back to the top. Tiring. But I miss the underworld.

• Last visit to Culebra: Apr 2006
  • Intro Updated Aug 3, 2006

• perfectly_zen's Profile Photo
    May 6, 2009 at 4:37 PM

great page!!! descriptions of heaven. =)

• storyin's Profile Photo
    Aug 7, 2006 at 5:58 AM

I like this roadside Culebra photo!!!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jul 17, 2006 at 3:28 AM

Never heard of this secret place before, but I like your descriptions of it.

• kazander's Profile Photo
    Jun 1, 2006 at 1:10 PM

I should have explored this paradise more fully, ah there is always next time....

• easyoar's Profile Photo
    May 4, 2006 at 2:59 PM

Sorry, not sure if I got that right... You've stained a used prophylacticand tossed in it? Well you could always post to Sara for consumption later... Or did I get a little confused somewhere down the line?

• Apr 26, 2006 at 3:54 PM

Aw poor yukijohn - I can only laugh at your misery. What...you don't eat your used rubbahhhs like I do??

chodearm

“Put me elsewhere.”

Badges & Stats in Culebra

Have you been to Culebra?

Latest Activity in Culebra