"Chartres Cathedral" Top 5 Page for this destination Chartres by Toyin
Chartres Travel Guide: 203 reviews and 750 photos
I was told severally about the importance of this pilgrimage centre by friends and colleagues. But, going there was not really a planned trip. I had set out to see Versaille for the second time with families visiting from the Netherlands, only to find a very long queue of tourists at the Chataux.
We went about Chateaux de Versaille lazily and undecided about whether to joing the long queue. Then, after a while I look at my map and discovered Chartres was just about 80 miles away.
Welcome to Chartres, welcome to the Cathedral of our Lady.
There was the a Carolingian church here before, which was under the Bishopp Fulbert.
However, in the 11Century a cathedral was rebuilt in romanesque style.
The Stained Glass windows belong to the middle of the 12th century era, and was saved as the romansque cathedral burnt in 1194.
- Pros:A unique place for a day Visit from Paris.
- In a nutshell:A good Architural Story of the Church!
Just outside the cathedral is this clown as I call him..He has a pigeon, a rooster and a hen that are well programmed.... more travel advice
A fire actually destroyed the cathedral completly in 1194 except the south tower and the south steeple. The North Tower,... more travel advice
Toyin's Related Pages
Chartres Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Piece of the Medieval World"
- "Chartres' Cathedral"
- "Our Lady of Chartres"
- "Chartres Cathedral"
- "The Town in the Shadow"
- "Come for the Cathedral - Stay for the Town."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chartres
- Hotels in Chartres
- Transportation in Chartres
- Nightlife in Chartres
- Restaurants in Chartres
- Shopping in Chartres
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chartres
- 12 Reviews
- 39 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Chartres?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chartres
Photos in ChartresSee All Photos (39)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nigeria Intro, 66 reviews, 109 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 52 reviews, 95 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zürich Intro, 55 reviews, 74 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 50 reviews, 71 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 59 reviews, 62 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brest Intro, 34 reviews, 76 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valeggio sul Mincio Intro, 31 reviews, 74 photos, 5 travelogues
- Manchester Intro, 30 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pau Intro, 18 reviews, 53 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bretagne Intro, 20 reviews, 47 photos, 3 travelogues