"Chartres Cathedral" Top 5 Page for this destination Chartres by Toyin

Chartres Travel Guide: 203 reviews and 750 photos

The Cathedral of Our Lady

I was told severally about the importance of this pilgrimage centre by friends and colleagues. But, going there was not really a planned trip. I had set out to see Versaille for the second time with families visiting from the Netherlands, only to find a very long queue of tourists at the Chataux.

We went about Chateaux de Versaille lazily and undecided about whether to joing the long queue. Then, after a while I look at my map and discovered Chartres was just about 80 miles away.

Welcome to Chartres, welcome to the Cathedral of our Lady.

A little Story and Architecture

There was the a Carolingian church here before, which was under the Bishopp Fulbert.
However, in the 11Century a cathedral was rebuilt in romanesque style.

Excellent Stained Glass

The Stained Glass windows belong to the middle of the 12th century era, and was saved as the romansque cathedral burnt in 1194.

• Pros:A unique place for a day Visit from Paris.
  • In a nutshell:A good Architural Story of the Church!
  • Last visit to Chartres: Jul 2005
  • Intro Updated Jul 26, 2005

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Apr 7, 2009 at 4:48 AM

Lovely Chartres page with beautiful photographs! Chartres Cathedral seems to be a great place to visit. Thanks for sharing. ~ho & pang

• Marisola's Profile Photo
    May 18, 2008 at 11:11 AM

Nice pics of Chartres. I stayed there for a week a while back with a primitive camera. I'll have to scan some of them soon!

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2008 at 10:17 PM

I intend visiting Chartres in June and your tips will be most helpful. Thanks ;-)

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Mar 11, 2007 at 3:59 AM

Lovely cathedral! I like stained glass windows in churches.

• starship's Profile Photo
    Aug 10, 2006 at 8:53 AM

The cathedral is a wonderful destination and an education in itself. I think the man Sue08080 is speaking about is Mr. Miller if I remember correctly.

• Sue08080's Profile Photo
    Dec 20, 2005 at 8:37 AM

Lovely pages. Thank you! Are tours still being given by the English expert, Mr. Moore, I believe? I heard him there many years ago and he was fabulous!

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Oct 17, 2005 at 4:23 AM

Lovely pages on Chartres. The cathedral here is indeed beautiful. Although it was many years ago, I had the privilege of seeing the magnificent stained glass windows in this church. Greets from Canada. Lori.

• Maillekeukeul's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2005 at 9:22 AM

A nice one-day trip !!

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Aug 6, 2005 at 3:53 AM

Interesting info and good pictures of both the carhedral and Chartres itself. The cathedral with two different towers look a bit unique, beautiful shots of the stained glass windows.

• ATLC's Profile Photo
    Aug 1, 2005 at 12:48 AM

In fact, the design drawings of stained glass are really called cartoons. Chartres cathedral is indeed amazing, every time you see it.

Toyin

“Do it yourself..”

Badges & Stats in Chartres

Have you been to Chartres?

Latest Activity in Chartres