"ROCHEFORT - THE STORY OF HERMIONE" Rochefort by Toyin
Rochefort Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 26 photos
Rochefort is a town in the Western France, essentially it was a French ship building city, now a home to the French Gendermairies. I found out that there was no travel hint on Rochefort, hence, I decided to be the first on this site.
To do Rochefort by road from Paris, it takes about 6hrs, but by the TGV, it is 3hrs to Surgese, then you drive for another 30minutes to Rochefort. The town is sandwished between ROYAN and LA ROCHELLE. The significance of the ROCHEFORT will not come to VT members untill the year 2007! This is when the HERMIONE would be lunched, that is when the story would be told, and some of you will say... ooooh I remember, Yeah Toyin said it.
In Greeks mythology, Hermione is Menelaus and Helene's daughter who herself was Ocean's daughters. Hermione is therefore Oceans grandaughter.......
In the XVIIIth century, the Hermione was a frigate that was built in Rochefort, on which embarked the young Marquis de La Fayette. It was a frigate that was destined to participate in the birth of a nation: The United States of America.
Building the replica of this Frigate is part of Rochefort's ambitious political project. The Maritime Arsenal of Colbert and his jewel, the 'Corderie Royale', is rehabilitated, the dry docks of the XVIIth, XVIIIth and of the XIXth century have been excavated out of the mud of the marshes.
To be able to recapture a full sense of Rochforth's uniqueness in Europe, it was necessary to reconstruct a vessel of the era because France has not preserved its floating heritage. Above all, this frigate is part of a wider project which concerns all the Charente estuary.... The project is expected to be commissioned in 2007. The first port of call is Boston in the US? It will then sail back to Rochefort where it will be used for tourism.
- Pros:Very peaceful town, but of great historical value in the sphere of ship building in 18th century
- Cons:Too quiet for the young at heart, Nearby La Rochelle is more lively.
- In a nutshell:The new home of the Gendermairies and a great future for the Hermione.
Maison du Transbordeur is at rue de Martrou 17620 Echila. It is very popular, but aside a coffee shop that operates... more travel advice
The building is very long to be able to take care of the lenght of the rope that has to be made. This is because,... more travel advice
Toyin's Related Pages
Rochefort Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Rochefort
- Transportation in Rochefort
- Nightlife in Rochefort
- Restaurants in Rochefort
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Rochefort
- 23 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 21 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Rochefort?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rochefort
Photos in RochefortSee All Photos (26)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nigeria Intro, 66 reviews, 109 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 52 reviews, 95 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zürich Intro, 55 reviews, 74 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 50 reviews, 71 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 59 reviews, 62 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brest Intro, 34 reviews, 76 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valeggio sul Mincio Intro, 31 reviews, 74 photos, 5 travelogues
- Manchester Intro, 30 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pau Intro, 18 reviews, 53 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bretagne Intro, 20 reviews, 47 photos, 3 travelogues