"This city takes your breath away..." Top 5 Page for this destination Bukhara by Rumiya
Bukhara Travel Guide: 374 reviews and 986 photos
Featuring on the world heritage list of UNESCO, Bukhara, the museum city, has since hundreds and hundreds of years held a key position along The Great Silk Road. With its rich history exuding from every one of its over 170 architectural monuments, Bukhara is one of the world's thrilling places to visit. The greatest crafts masters, the famous scientists, scolars and sufis of their time, such as Abu Ali Ibn Sina (Avicenna), Hazrat Bakhauddin Nakshbandi, Rudaki and Dakiki, Imam al-Bukhari, Firdousi, and many more were originally from Bukhara.
Earliest mention of Bukhara is made as part of Sogdiana. Subsequent rulers include the Hephtalits, Samanides, whose capital Bukhara was in the IX and X centuries, the Karakhanides, the Temurides, Sheibanids of the XVI century followed by the Astrakhanids and last but not least the independent Bukharian emirate as of the XVIII century. When in the XX century the first Russian led archaeological excavations took place, 20m of layer of ancient artefacts were unearthed, proof that the city's location had never been shifted.
Crafts typical for Bukhara are gold embroidery, silk weaving, jewellery, alabaster and wood carving, brass chasing. Some of the most stunning Suzanis are from Bukhara and with some luck samples of Bukharian handmade silk velvet can still be found in antiques shops and many bazaars. The astrakhan fur company is still one of Bukhara's largest enterprises, exporting its black, silver and golden hides to many countries. Products from Bukhara stood for ornate luxury and were coveted far beyond its borders.
Very many various figures of different heroes of Uzbek tales, people's folklore, of different sizes. From $1,5 and up. more travel advice
The Magoki-Attori Mosque, in the city's centre, is an example of an urban mosque in a residential quarter. The... more travel advice
Rumiya's Related Pages
Bukhara Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bukhara the Noble,"
- "Buchara - Silk Road Beauty Conserved Forever :-)"
- "… the beauty of the Spirit"
- "Bukhara - The Noble"
- "This city takes your breath away..."
- "Buhkara & the Holy Trade"
- "The Holy City at the Silk Road"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bukhara
- Hotels in Bukhara
- Transportation in Bukhara
- Nightlife in Bukhara
- Restaurants in Bukhara
- Shopping in Bukhara
- Warnings and Dangers in Bukhara
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bukhara
- 21 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 26 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Bukhara?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bukhara
- Posted in Travel Uzbekistan Forum "RE: Uzbekistan in October"
- Wrote a Review One of the shops at Taki Sarraffon in Bukhara Shopping
- Uploaded a Photo to "One of the shops at Taki Sarraffon"
- Commented on one of lotharlerch's Bukhara travel pages
- updated a Bukhara Travel Page "This city takes your breath away..."
Top 5 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bukhara Intro, 21 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tashkent Intro, 16 reviews, 13 photos
- Samarkand Intro, 7 reviews, 9 photos
- Khiva Intro, 7 reviews, 8 photos
- Uzbekistan Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos