"Impressive Mont Saint-Michel" Saint-Michel by radu_c
Saint-Michel Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 23 photos
Mont Saint Michel is maybe the most famous place in Bretagne. Therefore it's also very crowded. But the atmosphere is great.
It's reccommended to visit it early in the morning. But I visited it by evening and the sunset over the Saint-Michel Bay is really gorgeus. In August -September the abbey is opened for nighttime musical visits until 11.30 p.m.
If you care about your money, try to walk from the "continent" to the island, as the parking is 4 Eur, no mattering how long you stay.
The history of Mont Saint-Michel begins in 708, when Aubert d'Avranches built here a sanctuar. The place become quickly a pilgrimage place. In X-th century the village developed itself in nearby, on the island.
During the 100 years war, the place served as an perfect fortification, beeing an example of military architecture.
After the religious life stoped, the place served as a prison, until 1863. Since 1874 the place, historical monument, has been continously restaurated. Since 1979 it's a UNESCO word heritage place.
- Pros:Very nice landscapes, nice abbey and full of history
- Cons:crowded, very crowded.
- In a nutshell:It certainly deserves a visit.
As the wind could blow pretty powerfull, it's safe to take a jacket and a cap. take sunglasses and head-protection as... more travel advice
radu_c's Related Pages
Saint-Michel Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Saint-Michel
- 3 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Saint-Michel?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saint-Michel
Photos in Saint-MichelSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Chambord Intro, 5 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Desenzano Intro, 3 reviews, 7 photos
- Saint-Michel Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Nantes Intro, 5 reviews, 3 photos
- Saint-Malo Intro, 2 reviews, 6 photos, 1 travelogue
- Quincinetto Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
- Salzburg Intro, 3 photos
- Lyon Intro, 3 reviews
- Torino Intro, 1 review, 2 photos
- Monterosso al Mare Intro, 3 photos