"Society & Culture of Uttar Pradesh" Top 5 Page for this destination State of Uttar Pradesh by RAJASTHANBYCAR
State of Uttar Pradesh Travel Guide: 2,575 reviews and 7,795 photos
Uttar Pradesh is the rainbow land where the multi-hued Indian Culture has blossomed from times immemorial. Blessed with a varaity of geographical land and many cultural diversities, Uttar Pradesh, has been the area of activity of historical heroes like - Rama, Krishna, Buddha, Mahavira, Ashoka, Harsha, Akbar and Mahatma Gandhi. Rich and tranquil expanses of meadows, perennial rivers, dense forestsand fertile soil of Uttar Pradesh have contributed numerous golden chapters to the annals of Indian History. Dotted with various holy shrines and piligrim places,full of joyous festivals, it plays an important role in the politics, education, culture, industry, agriculture and tourism of India.
Garlanded by the Ganga and Yamuna. The two pious rivers of Indian mythology, Uttar Pradesh is surrounded by Bihar in the East, Madhya Pradesh in the South, Rajasthan, Delhi, Himachal Pradesh and Haryana in the west and Uttaranchal in the north and Nepal touch the northern borders of Uttar Pradesh, it assumes strategic importance for Indian defence. Its area of 2,36,286 sq kms. lies between latitude 24 deg to 31 deg and longitude 77 deg to 84 deg East. Area wise it is the fourth largest State of India. In sheer magnitude it is half of the area of France, three times of Portugal, four times of Ireland, seven times of Switzerland, ten times of Belgium and a little bigger than England.
The British East India Company came into contact with the Awadh rulers during the reign of IIIrd Nawab of Awadh. There is no doubt that the history of Uttar Pradesh has run concurrently with the history of the country during and after the British rule, but it is also well-known that the contribution of the people of the State in National Freedom Movement had been significant.
Uttar Pradesh in one of the most ancient cradles of Indian culture, while it is true that no Harappa and Mohan-Jodaro have been discovered in the State, the antiquities found in Banda (Bundelkhand), Mirzapur and Merrut link its history to early stone age and Harappan era. Chalk drawings or dark red drawings by primitive men are extensively found in the Vindhyan ranges of Mirzapur district.
Utensils of that age have also been discovered in Atranji-Khera, Kaushambi, Rajghat and Sonkh. Copper articles have been found in Kanpur, Unnao, Mirzapur, Mathura and some other districts. All these finds allude to a civilization prior to the advent of the Aryans in this State. It is most probable that snapped links between the Indus Valley and Vedic civilizations lie buried under the ruins of ancient sites found in this State.
I had been to other countries - in Europe,Asia and the Middle East - but none of them had provided even half as much variety, or so much to see and experience and remember, as this one State in northern India. You can travel from one end of Australia to the other,but everywhere on that vast continent you will find that people dress in the same way, eat the same kind of food,listen to the same music. This colourless uniformity is apparent in many other countries of the world,both East and West. But Uttar Pradesh is a world in itself."
- Ruskin Bond.
RAJASTHANBYCAR's Related Pages
State of Uttar Pradesh Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "State of Uttaranchal/Uttarakhand"
- "Society & Culture of Uttar Pradesh"
- "searching for alfie (the big striped orange cat)"
- "Uttar Pradesh the land of Taj the land of Kumbh"
- "by car through Uttar Pradesh"
- "Uttar Pradesh"
- See All...
- Things to Do in State of Uttar Pradesh
- Hotels in State of Uttar Pradesh
- Transportation in State of Uttar Pradesh
- Nightlife in State of Uttar Pradesh
- Restaurants in State of Uttar Pradesh
- Shopping in State of Uttar Pradesh
- Warnings and Dangers in State of Uttar Pradesh
- See All...
Badges & Stats in State of Uttar Pradesh
- 157 Reviews
- 372 Photos
- 22 Forum posts
- 4 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to State of Uttar Pradesh?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in State of Uttar Pradesh
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delhi Intro, 94 reviews, 310 photos
- State of Rajasthan Intro, 100 reviews, 288 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Agra Intro, 54 reviews, 143 photos
- Jaipur Intro, 34 reviews, 125 photos
- India Intro, 40 reviews, 104 photos
- Udaipur Intro, 26 reviews, 106 photos
- State of Madhya Pradesh Intro, 33 reviews, 98 photos
- State of Haryana Intro, 31 reviews, 98 photos, 1 travelogue
- State of Himachal Pradesh Intro, 37 reviews, 89 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Uttar Pradesh Intro, 40 reviews, 83 photos