"Glory of the Himalayas/Valley of Gods" Top 5 Page for this destination State of Himachal Pradesh by RAJASTHANBYCAR
State of Himachal Pradesh Travel Guide: 452 reviews and 1,102 photos
About 2 million years ago man lived in the foothills of Himachal Pradesh, viz in the Bangana valley of Kangra, Sirsa valley of Nalagarh and Markanda valley of Sirmour. The foothills of the state were inhabited by people from Indus valley civilization which flourished between 2250 and 1750 B.C. People of Indus valley civilization pushed the original inhabitants of Ganga plains who were known as Kolorian people towards north. They moved to the hills of Himachal Pradesh where they could live peacefully and preserve their way of life.
In the Vedas they have been referred to as Dasas, Dasyus and Nishadas while in later works they have been called Kinnars, Nagas and Yakshas. The Kols or Mundas are believed to be the original migrants to the hills of present day Himachal.
The second phase of migrants came in the form of Mongoloid people known as Bhotas and Kiratas. Later on came the third and most important wave of migrants in the form of the Aryans who left their Central Asian home. These laid the base of history and culture of Himachal Pradesh.
A few decades after Harsha's death (647 A.D.) many Rajput states ascended in Rajsthan and Indus plains. They fought amongst themselves and the vanquished moved to the hills with their followers, where they set up small states or principalities. These states were Kangra, Nurpur, Suket, Mandi, Kutlehar, Baghal, Bilaspur, Nalagarh, Keonthal, Dhami, Kunihar, Bushahar, Sirmour.
The British territories in the hill came under British Crown after Queen Victoria's proclamation of 1858. The states of Chamba, Mandi and Bilaspur made good progress in many fields during the British rule. During the first World War, virtually all rulers of the hill states remained loyal and contributed to the British war effort both in thr form of men and materials. Amongst these were the states of Kangra, Siba, Nurpur, Chamba, Suket, Mandi and Bilaspur.
Lakkar Bazar Popular for its wood crafts and Souvenirs, this is just off the Ridge. more travel advice
This is quite new modern hotel, rooms are in standerd size A/C. City & Nature view and just walking distence for Mall... more travel advice
RAJASTHANBYCAR's Related Pages
State of Himachal Pradesh Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beauty Unlimited"
- "Kinnaur to Spiti............to heaven on earth"
- "Dev Bhoomi - Himachal-- Abode of Gods"
- "Himalayan Escape"
- "Glory of the Himalayas/Valley of Gods"
- "Snow In India???"
- "Longest MotorBike Trip till now."
- See All...
- Things to Do in State of Himachal Pradesh
- Hotels in State of Himachal Pradesh
- Transportation in State of Himachal Pradesh
- Nightlife in State of Himachal Pradesh
- Restaurants in State of Himachal Pradesh
- Shopping in State of Himachal Pradesh
- Warnings and Dangers in State of Himachal Pradesh
- See All...
Badges & Stats in State of Himachal Pradesh
- 52 Reviews
- 123 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to State of Himachal Pradesh?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in State of Himachal Pradesh
Photos in State of Himachal PradeshSee All Photos (123)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delhi Intro, 94 reviews, 310 photos
- State of Rajasthan Intro, 100 reviews, 288 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Agra Intro, 54 reviews, 143 photos
- Jaipur Intro, 34 reviews, 125 photos
- India Intro, 40 reviews, 104 photos
- Udaipur Intro, 26 reviews, 106 photos
- State of Madhya Pradesh Intro, 33 reviews, 98 photos
- State of Haryana Intro, 31 reviews, 98 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Himachal Pradesh Intro, 37 reviews, 89 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Uttar Pradesh Intro, 40 reviews, 83 photos