"Camel Country of Bikaner" Top 5 Page for this destination Bikaner by RAJASTHANBYCAR
Bikaner Travel Guide: 104 reviews and 361 photos
A unique destination of the desert tringle is Bikaner.
The royal fortified city with a timeless appeal is sheer beauty amidst the sand dunes.
The genesis of Bikaner dates back to 1488 A.D. when a rathore prince,Rao Bikaji son of Rao Jodhaji of Jodhpur chose a barren wilderness known as Jangaldesh and transformed it to an impressive city called Bikaner after the founder's name.Its strategic location on the ancient caravan routs, Linking Central Asia and North India with Gujarat scaports,made Bikaner a prime trade centre in the times of yore.
A medieval aura pervades the city, as visible in its forts, palace and temples - each a delicate creation in red and yellow sandstone bearing testimony to the rich historical and architectural legacy.
More popularly called the camel country, Bikaner isrenowned for the best riding camels in the world.The ship of the desert is an inseparable part of life herebe it for pulling heavy carts for transporting grains or for working on wells.Gaily caparisonded camels can be seen at Bikaner's annual Camel festival held in January.Camel reces, camel tug of wae and other exciting contests enliven the festivities.
This grand palace is an architectural masterwork in red sandstone, and was built by Maharaja Ganga Singh Ji in the memory of his father Maharaja Lal Singh Ji in 1902. Sir Swinton Jacob designed this oriental fantasy. This architecture is a fusion of Rajput, Mughal and European architecture. The exterior contrasts dramatically with the oriental interiors and amenities. The palace has beautiful latticework and filigree work, which are hallmarks of a great craftsmanship.
The Palace has an amazing collection of well-maintained paintings and hunting trophies. Sprawling lawns with blooming bougainvillea and dancing peacocks make a visual extravagance.
Gajner is an incomparable Jewel in the Thar. Built by the great Maharaja Ganga Singhji of Bikaner on the embankment of a lake with a generous dose of flora and fauna. Basically a hunting and relaxing lodge, the maharaja and the family shared their passion with their exclusive guests and hosted exotic holidays for them. Around the palace is a thick forestation that attracts the guests to take up a simple walk around admiring the migratory birds in winters like imperial sand goose,antelopes, black bucks and the animal species that wander around in the form of Nilgais, chinkaras, deers etc. The hotel is spread in a large area, and the ambiance around is as raw and authentic as it was before.
The Jaisalmeri camels are well known for riding and race potential.They have small head and mouth with narrow... more travel advice
Hall of public audience, now wapenory museum the most attractive feature the Franch, Aeroplane given by the Britesh to... more travel advice
RAJASTHANBYCAR's Related Pages
Bikaner Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bikaner- Desert Caravanserai"
- "Camel Country of Bikaner"
- "Radjasthan - Bikaner - the western part of India"
- "Bikaner - a Palace and a rat temple!"
- "Bikaner-Royalty in full splendour"
- "Bikaner and the Famous Rat Temple"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bikaner
- Hotels in Bikaner
- Transportation in Bikaner
- Restaurants in Bikaner
- Shopping in Bikaner
- Warnings and Dangers in Bikaner
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bikaner
- 24 Reviews
- 72 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Bikaner?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bikaner
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delhi Intro, 94 reviews, 310 photos
- State of Rajasthan Intro, 100 reviews, 288 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Agra Intro, 54 reviews, 143 photos
- Jaipur Intro, 34 reviews, 125 photos
- India Intro, 40 reviews, 104 photos
- Udaipur Intro, 26 reviews, 106 photos
- State of Madhya Pradesh Intro, 33 reviews, 98 photos
- State of Haryana Intro, 31 reviews, 98 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Himachal Pradesh Intro, 37 reviews, 89 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Uttar Pradesh Intro, 40 reviews, 83 photos