"Capital of Sindhias Gwalior" Top 5 Page for this destination Gwalior by RAJASTHANBYCAR
Gwalior Travel Guide: 70 reviews and 293 photos
The most magnificent monument of Gwalior; the hilltop fort overlooks the city. The fort is above 300 feet high and is about three kilometers(1.86 Miles) in length and 600 to 3000 feet wide from East to West.
Raja Mansingh Tomar built it in 15th century. The fort can be approached from two sides, on the eastern side is Gwalior Gate which leads pedestrian path while on the western side is Urvai Gate which is the motorable way.
The fort wall which encircles almost the entire hill is about 10 meters high. A steep road goes upward to the fort, flanked by statues of the Jain Tirthakaras, carved into the rock face. One of the most invincible forts in the entire History of India, this "pearl in the necklace of the castles of Hind" has changed many hands but has rarely been captured.
The northern end has Jhangiri Palace, Shah Jahan Palace, Karna Mahal, Vikram Mahal and Jal Johar Kund. Jahangiri and Shah Jahan Palaces are predominantly Muslim in their architectural styles, these are two-storied each with large audience chambers. Karna Mahal was the palace of maternal uncle of most famous king of Gwalior Raja Man Singh. Palace of prince Vikram, Vikram Mahal had a small Vishnu temple in it.
In the same area is the Jal Jauhar kund or the tank used for Jauhar (mass immolation undertaken by the ladies) which took place when Iltutmish the slave king of Delhi besieged the fort and defeated the Parihar ruler. A cenotaph nearby is of Maharajah Bhim Singh Rana (1757-1785), the Jat chief of Gohad.
Open 9 Am to 5 Pm
Entrance Fee Rs 100 with Camera
Video Camera Rs 25
Suraj Kund within the Fort walls, the original pond where Suraj Sen, or Suraj Pal as he was later known, was cured by the Saint Gwalipa.
Palace of prince Vikram, Vikram Mahal had a small Shiva temple in it. more travel advice
This is the tomb of the father of Hindustani classical music, one of the 'Nine Jewels' of Emperor Akbar's court. It is... more travel advice
RAJASTHANBYCAR's Related Pages
Gwalior Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Gwalior - home to the Scindia's"
- "Capital of Sindhias Gwalior"
- "Glorious Gwalior"
- "A convenient stop from Agra to Khajuraho"
- "Gwalior - hidden treasure"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gwalior
- Hotels in Gwalior
- Transportation in Gwalior
- Restaurants in Gwalior
- Warnings and Dangers in Gwalior
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gwalior
- 13 Reviews
- 35 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Gwalior?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gwalior
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delhi Intro, 94 reviews, 310 photos
- State of Rajasthan Intro, 100 reviews, 288 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Agra Intro, 54 reviews, 143 photos
- Jaipur Intro, 34 reviews, 125 photos
- India Intro, 40 reviews, 104 photos
- Udaipur Intro, 26 reviews, 106 photos
- State of Madhya Pradesh Intro, 33 reviews, 98 photos
- State of Haryana Intro, 31 reviews, 98 photos, 1 travelogue
- State of Himachal Pradesh Intro, 37 reviews, 89 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Uttar Pradesh Intro, 40 reviews, 83 photos