"Blue City of Marwar Jodhpur" Jodhpur by RAJASTHANBYCAR
Jodhpur Travel Guide: 368 reviews and 1,065 photos
Jodhpur is the second largest city in Rajasthan. It was formerly the seat of a princely state of the same name, also known as Marwar. Jodhpur is a popular tourist destination, featuring many beautiful palaces, forts and temples, apart from a stark, scenic desert landscape. The city is known as also the "Sun City" for the bright, sunny weather it enjoys all year. It is also referred as the Blue City, due to the indigo tinge of the whitewashed houses around the Mehrangarh Fort. Jodhpur is also known for gentleness of its people. Jodhpur lies near the geographic center of Rajasthan state, which makes it a convenient base for travel in a region much frequented by tourists. The old city of Jodhpur is surrounded by a thick stone wall. The wall has six huge gates called Nagauri gate, Merati gate, Sojati gate, Jalori gate, Siwanchi gate and Chand pol.
Jodhpur:-The fortified city standing sentinel to the great splendour and romance of Thar desert transports the visitor to the imperial times.
Once the capital city of Marwar state, it was founded in 1459 A.D. by Rao Jodhaji-the chief of the Rathore clan of Rajputs who claimed to be descendents of Lord Rama the epic hero of Ramayana.
A major trade centre of the 16th century, Jodhpur is currently the second largest city of Rajasthan.
The city is encompassed by a high wall 10 Kms long with 8 Gates and innumerable bastions.The forts and places of Jodhpur are unsurpassed in beauty and grandeur.
The only 20th century palace built under the famine relief project that gave employment to famine struck population. The palace was completed in 16 years built by Maharaja Umaid Singh in 1928 and designed by the President of the British Royal Institute of Architects. The Palace is a blend of several styles, merging pleasantly. Royal auditorium ballrooms, huge dinning-room, gilded royal furniture, majestic tiger and deerskins on the walls of a gloomy library of old books, crystal chandeliers, stained glass windows, liveried menservants and doormen, indoor swimming pool in basement, various mementoes and old photographs. There is so much to see and discover.displays the Rajput miniature paintings and Ajit Villas exhibits musical instruments and the royal costumes. Both these villas are joined by a beautiful mirror room.
- Pros:Good for wooden Handicrafts
- Cons:Touts around Clock Tower Market
Krishna Prakash Heritage Haveli is a traditional haveli with its imposing but delicately carved exterior and simple yet... more travel advice
RAJASTHANBYCAR's Related Pages
Jodhpur Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Jodhpur"
- "The Blue City"
- "jodhpur :Glorious Marwar"
- "BLUE SKIES ABOVE BLUE CITY"
- "The Blue City of Jodhpur and Village of Rohet"
- "Jodhpur-the blue city"
- "A blue city sojourn"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Jodhpur
- Hotels in Jodhpur
- Transportation in Jodhpur
- Nightlife in Jodhpur
- Restaurants in Jodhpur
- Shopping in Jodhpur
- Warnings and Dangers in Jodhpur
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Jodhpur
- 27 Reviews
- 87 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Jodhpur?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Jodhpur
Photos in JodhpurSee All Photos (87)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delhi Intro, 94 reviews, 310 photos
- State of Rajasthan Intro, 100 reviews, 288 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Agra Intro, 54 reviews, 143 photos
- Jaipur Intro, 34 reviews, 125 photos
- India Intro, 40 reviews, 104 photos
- Udaipur Intro, 26 reviews, 106 photos
- State of Madhya Pradesh Intro, 33 reviews, 98 photos
- State of Haryana Intro, 31 reviews, 98 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Himachal Pradesh Intro, 37 reviews, 89 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Uttar Pradesh Intro, 40 reviews, 83 photos