"Eternal Expressions of Love Khajuraho" Top 5 Page for this destination Khajuraho by RAJASTHANBYCAR
Khajuraho Travel Guide: 265 reviews and 808 photos
Khajuraho is Located in Madhya Pradesh state of Inda is 640 KMs from Delhi and 425 Kms from Agra is also well connected by road and Air. The temple of Khajuroaho are India's unique gift to the world representing as they do a paen to life, to love, to Joy, perfect in execution and subline in expression.Life, in every from and mood has been captured in stone, testifying to the craft man's artistry and extraordinary breadth of vision of the Chandela Rajputs.
In the temple architecture of India, the Khajuraho complex remains unique. One thousand years ago, under the generous and artistic patronage of the Chandela Rajput kings of Central India, 80 temples, magnificent in form and richly carved, came up on one site, near the village of Khajuraho. The amazingly short span of 100 years, from 950 AD - 1050 AD, saw the completion of all the temples, in an inspired burst of creativity. Today, of the original 80, only 22 have survived the ravages of time; these remain as a collective paean to life, to joy and to creativity; to the ultimate fusion of man with his creator.
Khajuraho or Khajirvahila - garden of dates, as it was known then - as the site for their stupendous creations. Even in those days it was no more than a small village. It is possible given the eclectic patronage of the Chandelas and the wide variety of beliefs represented in the temples, that they had the concept of forming a seat of religion and learning at Khajuraho. It is possible that the Chandelas were also believers in the powers of Tantrism; the cult which believes that the gratification of earthly desires is a step closer to the attainment of the infinite. It is certain however, that the temples represent the expression of a highly matured civilization.
Another theory is that the erotica of Khajuraho, and indeed of other temples, had a specific purpose. In those days when boys lived in hermitages, following the Hindu law of being "brahmacharis" until they attained manhood, the only way they could prepare themselves for the worldly role of 'householder' was through the study of these sculptures and the earthly passions they depicted.
- Pros:Eternal Expressions of Love Temples
- In a nutshell:A unique gift to the world from Chandela Rajputs
Hotel Usha Bundela is Good modern hotel out side the Khajurahi village.All the room in hotel Usha Bundela are provided... more travel advice
Here's an image of a divine couple, set in a prominent niche in the temple's exterior. These images show the same sort... more travel advice
RAJASTHANBYCAR's Related Pages
Khajuraho Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Khajuraho"
- "Temples of Khajuraho"
- "Amazing & EroticTemples"
- "Eternal Expressions of Love Khajuraho"
- "The Famed "Erotic" Temples of Khajuraho"
- "Erotic goings-on at Khajuraho"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Khajuraho
- Hotels in Khajuraho
- Transportation in Khajuraho
- Nightlife in Khajuraho
- Restaurants in Khajuraho
- Shopping in Khajuraho
- Warnings and Dangers in Khajuraho
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Khajuraho
- 25 Reviews
- 77 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Khajuraho?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Khajuraho
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delhi Intro, 94 reviews, 310 photos
- State of Rajasthan Intro, 100 reviews, 288 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Agra Intro, 54 reviews, 143 photos
- Jaipur Intro, 34 reviews, 125 photos
- India Intro, 40 reviews, 104 photos
- Udaipur Intro, 26 reviews, 106 photos
- State of Madhya Pradesh Intro, 33 reviews, 98 photos
- State of Haryana Intro, 31 reviews, 98 photos, 1 travelogue
- State of Himachal Pradesh Intro, 37 reviews, 89 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Uttar Pradesh Intro, 40 reviews, 83 photos