"Nestling in the Glory of the Hemalayas" Top 5 Page for this destination Manali by RAJASTHANBYCAR
Manali Travel Guide: 94 reviews and 191 photos
Manali is 600 Kms from Delhi by road and 270 Kms from Shmila, 250 Kms from Dharamsala.Manali is named after Manu Reshi.One day, Varvasvata, the seventh incarnation Manu found a tiny fish in his bathing water. The fish told him to look after with devotion for one day it would do him a great service. The seventh Manu cared for the fish till the day it grew so huge that he released it into the sea. Before departing, the fish warned Manu of an impending deluge when the entire world would be submerged and bade him to build a sea-worthy ark. When the flood came, Varvasvata and seven sages were towed to safety by Matsya, the fish -which is regarded as first avatar of Lord Vishnu. As the water subsided the seventh Manu's ark came to the rest on a hill side and the place was named Manali (2050 m) after him.
As the art slowly dried, here arose a place of breath taking natural beauty which was only appropriate at Manali that life began again. Today this legendary cradle of all human kind is a prime holiday destination. There are high mountains surrounded by silent snows and deep boulder strew gorges. There are thick forests full of cool breezes and bird songs. There are fields of wild flowers, small picturesque hamlets and fruit laden orchards.
Manali is located in the angle between the rivers Manalsu and Beas and between the Kullu, Lahul and Sipti valleys. It is set in the foothills of the Himalayas, amidst spectacular mountains and Cedar Forests. Manali is a destination for all seasons, a lush cool green paradise in summer and a mysterious white cloaked enigma in winter.
Manali affords diverse opportunities for adventure from hiking, camping, white water rafting, paragliding, ballooning, mountaineering, skiing and angling in the mountain streams.
4 kms from Manali near the village of Perini is the Arjuna cave. It is said that Arjuna wanted the weapon from the king... more travel advice
As the earth slowly dried, here across a place of breath taking natural beauty which was only appropriate for it was at... more travel advice
RAJASTHANBYCAR's Related Pages
Manali Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Magical Manali."
- "Nestling in the Glory of the Hemalayas"
- "Manali - Himachal Pradech"
- "cuddle in snow"
- "Manali, nothern India"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Manali
- Hotels in Manali
- Transportation in Manali
- Nightlife in Manali
- Restaurants in Manali
- Shopping in Manali
- Warnings and Dangers in Manali
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Manali
- 15 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Manali?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Manali
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delhi Intro, 94 reviews, 310 photos
- State of Rajasthan Intro, 100 reviews, 288 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Agra Intro, 54 reviews, 143 photos
- Jaipur Intro, 34 reviews, 125 photos
- India Intro, 40 reviews, 104 photos
- Udaipur Intro, 26 reviews, 106 photos
- State of Madhya Pradesh Intro, 33 reviews, 98 photos
- State of Haryana Intro, 31 reviews, 98 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Himachal Pradesh Intro, 37 reviews, 89 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Uttar Pradesh Intro, 40 reviews, 83 photos