"Pushkar Holy Lake" Top 5 Page for this destination Pushkar by RAJASTHANBYCAR
Pushkar Travel Guide: 201 reviews and 847 photos
Brahma forms the great Hindu trilogy of Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva, each symbolising the lifecycle of birth, preservation and destruction. Brahma the creator is depicted as of four bearded heads and four hands each holding a book of Vedas (knowledge). His vehicle is the swan and his consort is Savitri. According to the legend Pushkar means a pond created by flower, was formed when Brahma dropped a lotus flower on the earth to determine a place for his yagna, a holy sacrifice. The story goes that Brahma wanted to perform the yagna at the most auspicious time but his consort Savitri whose presence at the yagna was vital for its performance kept him waiting. Irritated by this Brahma married Gayatri, a milkmaid and installed her instead. Savitri on seeing someone else in her place was infuriated and cursed Brahma that he would be forgotten by people on earth and never worshiped. She relented on pleas from other Gods that he could only be worshiped in Pushkar, hence there are no Brahma Temples elsewhere.
Pushkar is world famous for its cattle fair normally held in the Hindu month Kartika, which is around Oct-November. At this time the town jam-packed with tribal people from all over Rajasthan and tourist. It is commonly known as Camel fair, bringing with them several camels and cattle to the pilgrimage. A Fair ground is fashioned and is packed with shops selling souvenirs and eateries. Games and circus shows also goes on. And villagers come sell camels, horses, elephants and cattle and other livestock. Elaborate arrangement for staying of visitors is made including luxury tents. Just don’t miss the Pushkar Fair if you are India around that time.
Pushkar is a much loved tourist destination, many who visit there just fall in love with the place and overstay. Situated on the edge on the desert it is separated from Ajmer by the Nag Parbat (the snake hill). The town has very distinct tourist excitement with narrow lanes lined with shops selling various accessories and rooftop restaurants. Despite its high tourist profile the town maintains some mystical charm.
- Pros:Local Market around the Lake
- Cons:Avoid the Peoples Offering you Flowers Touts around the Lake
- In a nutshell:Dip in Reliosn
Entrance is in the nerro street from the main road, but when we reach in side the gate of the Gust house becom in the... more travel advice
- See All 4 held for Japanese woman's rape
- See All Do's & Dont's/Attention Tourist
- Customs keep in your Mind
RAJASTHANBYCAR's Related Pages
Pushkar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pushkar Holy Lake"
- "Pushkar - A pond created by a flower"
- "Holy Pushkar...."
- "Pushkar king of kings"
- "Pushkar - a holy Hindu pilgrimage town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pushkar
- Hotels in Pushkar
- Transportation in Pushkar
- Nightlife in Pushkar
- Restaurants in Pushkar
- Shopping in Pushkar
- Warnings and Dangers in Pushkar
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pushkar
- 25 Reviews
- 80 Photos
- 8 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Pushkar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pushkar
Photos in PushkarSee All Photos (80)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delhi Intro, 94 reviews, 310 photos
- State of Rajasthan Intro, 100 reviews, 288 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Agra Intro, 54 reviews, 143 photos
- Jaipur Intro, 34 reviews, 125 photos
- India Intro, 40 reviews, 104 photos
- Udaipur Intro, 26 reviews, 106 photos
- State of Madhya Pradesh Intro, 33 reviews, 98 photos
- State of Haryana Intro, 31 reviews, 98 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Himachal Pradesh Intro, 37 reviews, 89 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Uttar Pradesh Intro, 40 reviews, 83 photos