"BAH HUMBUG, I'M GAGA OVER BAJA!" Ensenada by travelgourmet
Ensenada Travel Guide: 289 reviews and 637 photos
Living in California, USA, Mexico is only across the border. Many lessons to learn from Mexico. One of the great lessons I learned was that people are people no matter what country you live in. There are the good, bad, and the ugly in every country. Look for the good, and the bad fades and the ugly disappears. Yes, there are many problems at the US and Mexico border towns but in the Baja (peninsula) go a little further and true Mexico is found. A relaxed way of living with smiling faces, wonderful food and warm weather.
I find that Ensenada meets this criteria. Only about 62 miles south of the border or about an hour drive using the toll road from Tijuana (the border town of Mexico with San Diego, California) and you have arrived at this growing city with a large section set up for tourists by the port. You can go to the center of the city and see the normal lifestyle and everyday happenings or you can go to the lively port area to see and partake in all the many tourist activities such as shopping for curios, that leather jacket you have craved, the great cowboy boots and even superb chess sets. Oh, the prices of alcohol is also lower than in the US and you can buy and smoke real Cuban cigars, still not allowed in the US, but a great export of Cuba.
Knowing that it can get hot, weather wise, there are plenty of hot bars and clubs to cool you off with an ice cold cerveza (beer) or a margarita (tequila alcohol, lime juice, triple sec and crushed ice mixed together, shaken and poured into a salt rimmed glass. Ole! The food in the restaurants that are indigenous to the area, are spicy, hot, and very tasty. Bread is in the form of tortillas, a flat bread that is warmed on a grill and served with food or is part of a dish such as tacos, a sort of Mexican hamburger but almost a salad. The tortilla becomes the bun in a taco and works great. Guacamole is an avocado dip that goes with tortillas that are fried and broken into chips and used to scoop the dip. Open wide. Yum.
There are places to visit like the large open air fish market at the port, visit La Bufadora, the blowhole, south of the city. Go to the beach, swim, ride a jet ski, take a harbor cruise or go sport fishing. Try a horse drawn buggy ride around town or a tour of a winery. A wine valley is northeast of Ensenada in the Guadalupe Valley which begins in the town of San Antonio de las Minas. Worth a trip for the wine aficionado. Music is universal but the specialty of Mexico is the traditional Mariachi Band. These strolling musicians dressed in native costumes will serenade you while you dine and if you are with one you love, a beautiful love song will be their choice. All in all, Ensenada, south of the border, down Mexico way, is very inviting and worth considering for a few days visit.
- Pros:A taste of Mexico
- Cons:Too crowded on weekends
- In a nutshell:Mexico Tourist destination close to USA worth visiting.
Hussong's Official Logo Store has all the logo items for Hussong's Cantina. Remember, we are talking about the oldest... more travel advice
The young and the young at heart, the beer drinker and the drunk, the party goer and the follower are all here at PAPAS... more travel advice
travelgourmet's Related Pages
Ensenada Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ensenada Mexico"
- "Ensenada, Mexico: More than just a Tourist Town"
- "Ensenada and La Bufadora"
- "Ensenada = Fish Tacos !"
- "BAH HUMBUG, I'M GAGA OVER BAJA!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ensenada
- Hotels in Ensenada
- Transportation in Ensenada
- Nightlife in Ensenada
- Restaurants in Ensenada
- Shopping in Ensenada
- Warnings and Dangers in Ensenada
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ensenada
- 8 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 6 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (98)
Have you been to Ensenada?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ensenada
- Posted in Travel San Francisco Forum "Re: Suggestions for a day itinerary"
- Commented on one of travelgourmet's Ensenada travel pages
- Wrote a Review TOURIST T-SHIRT SOUVENIR HEAVEN in Ensenada Shopping
- Uploaded a Photo to "TOURIST T-SHIRT SOUVENIR HEAVEN"
- updated a Ensenada Travel Page "BAH HUMBUG, I'M GAGA OVER BAJA!"
Photos in EnsenadaSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Westlake Village Intro, 30 reviews, 198 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Solvang Intro, 29 reviews, 148 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Napa Intro, 29 reviews, 139 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Avalon Intro, 29 reviews, 110 photos, 2 travelogues
- San Diego Intro, 26 reviews, 99 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malibu Intro, 14 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Carmel-by-the-Sea Intro, 20 reviews, 71 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Luis Obispo Intro, 15 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 15 reviews, 74 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Temecula Intro, 17 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues