"NEXT DOOR TO YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK" Top 5 Page for this destination West Yellowstone by travelgourmet
West Yellowstone Travel Guide: 93 reviews and 246 photos
I'll start off by saying, I enjoyed staying in West Yellowstone and visiting Yellowstone National Park each day and returning to the hotel in West Yellowstone before sundown. I found that the restaurant choices were greater and less crowded than in the park itself as was the price for gasoline a lot lower than the park stations. If you like to shop around for a souvenir or a great gift, the town is full of specialty stores. Walking around the town is easy and the shop owners are very friendly. Yes, it may be nice to stay right in the park, but for my money, I prefer West Yellowstone rates for the lodging as well as more choices of where to stay.
The amazing thing is the travel time to get to each area of the park is only a short time to be going in the direction you want. I do know that many of the entrances do close for winter and the West entrance is one of them that closes to all except snowcoaches and snowmobiles of which there are several companies in town to use. In summer, the park gets crowded and leaving from West Yellowstone to get into the park allows you choices as to which way to go during your stay. One area may be more crowded than another, so take the road less used. Closing road date for regular vehicles is usually in early November and opening is around the middle of April. Another plus is that there is a Yellowstone National Park Visitor Information Center right in town, just before the entrance to the park. This way you can obtain a map for the entire area and you can ask a Park Ranger for the areas of interest like exactly where to see the animals or how far to a certain geyser or waterfall. Yes, for me, West Yellowstone is the place to stay.
- Pros:Prices are cheaper than inside the Park
- Cons:It is a 20 minute drive to Madison inside the Park
- In a nutshell:On the outside, but has the inside track on where to stay.
Well, this one takes the cake. Either great thinking in marketing or a big tourist trap!!! Maybe both! The Visitors... more travel advice
The Holiday Inn has an original 1903 rail car from the Oregon Short Line, so named because it was the shortest distance... more travel advice
travelgourmet's Related Pages
West Yellowstone Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "NEXT DOOR TO YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK"
- "A Gateway to Yellowstone National Park"
- "Fly-in Park Entrance"
- "Grizzly Discovery Center"
- "Yellowstone National Park:"
- "One Gate Airport"
- "Entrance to Yellowstone National Park"
- See All...
- Things to Do in West Yellowstone
- Hotels in West Yellowstone
- Transportation in West Yellowstone
- Nightlife in West Yellowstone
- Restaurants in West Yellowstone
- Shopping in West Yellowstone
- Warnings and Dangers in West Yellowstone
- See All...
Badges & Stats in West Yellowstone
- 9 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 9 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (106)
Have you been to West Yellowstone?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in West Yellowstone
- updated a West Yellowstone Travel Page "NEXT DOOR TO YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK"
- Posted in Travel Honolulu Forum "Re: clear international flight..."
- Commented on one of travelgourmet's West Yellowstone travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "WEST YELLOWSTONE FINE DINING"
- Wrote a Review VISITORS BUREAU??? in West Yellowstone Tourist Traps
Photos in West YellowstoneSee All Photos (25)
Top 10 Pages
- Westlake Village Intro, 30 reviews, 198 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Solvang Intro, 29 reviews, 148 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Napa Intro, 29 reviews, 139 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Avalon Intro, 29 reviews, 110 photos, 2 travelogues
- San Diego Intro, 26 reviews, 99 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malibu Intro, 14 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Carmel-by-the-Sea Intro, 20 reviews, 71 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Luis Obispo Intro, 15 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 15 reviews, 74 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Temecula Intro, 17 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues