"TEHACHAPI "LAND OF FOUR SEASONS"" Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi by travelgourmet
Tehachapi Travel Guide: 110 reviews and 399 photos
Okay, I give up where is Tehachapi? This is asked when one mentions this small community in this high mountain part of Southern California that came about due to the railroad. The Kawaiisu Indians were here long before the railroad came. They were there looking for a place to settle and the creek they found with a lake nearby seemed ideal. They called their village Tehecita that sounded like Tha-ee-chay-pah. Two Kawaiisu words, tiha and chipi, which means hard climb could be another way, tihachipi. The way it is spelled and pronunced today is credited to the Southern Pacific Railroad who acquired from a book titled "Up and Down California in 1860-1864 by William H. Brewer, in which he mentions the "Tehachapi Pass" while surveying the area now known as Tehachapi. Just looking at the spelling makes for an interesting topic of how do you pronounce it. Well, best as I can do is Ta-hac-cha-pee.
The first written form of Tehachapi credit is given to Lt. Robert Williamson of the United States War Department in 1853 while he was looking for the best pass a railroad could take. So, give the credit to Lt. Robert Williamson for the spelling and to the Southern Pacific Railroad for the pronunciation and to the Kawaiisu for finding their village by the creek. Today, Tehachapi is a growing community with high hopes for the future. Located in a valley pass in the mountains, separating the San Joaquin Valley and the Mojave Desert. Highway CA 58 is the local access from either Mojave or Bakersfield, but they are world's apart in description as Tehachapi is the "Land of Four Seasons."
- Pros:Country living in a hidden oasis in the high desert
- Cons:Too far out for city folks
- In a nutshell:Could become the next great wine region
Once a year after winter has come and is about to leave, say late February or early March and the vineyards that are... more travel advice
One of the largest wind farms owned by several companies is located in Tehachapi with over 5,000 wind turbines and is... more travel advice
travelgourmet's Related Pages
Tehachapi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tehachapi~Land of Many Acorns!"
- "TEHACHAPI "LAND OF FOUR SEASONS""
- "OLD WEST CHARM"
- "Trainspotting - The Loop of Tehachapi"
- "Tehachapi Loop"
- "Tehachapi, Ca. A great place to live!"
- "TEHACHAPI: hOME & FAMILY"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tehachapi
- Hotels in Tehachapi
- Transportation in Tehachapi
- Nightlife in Tehachapi
- Restaurants in Tehachapi
- Shopping in Tehachapi
- Warnings and Dangers in Tehachapi
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tehachapi
- 15 Reviews
- 71 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (98)
Have you been to Tehachapi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tehachapi
- Posted in Travel Los Angeles Forum "Re: A day at LA .. What are the..."
- Commented on one of travelgourmet's Tehachapi travel pages
- Wrote a Review Locals and Members Prune Vineyards in Tehachapi Local Customs
- Uploaded a Photo to "Locals and Members Prune Vineyards"
- updated a Tehachapi Travel Page "TEHACHAPI "LAND OF FOUR SEASONS""
- Uploaded a Video to Tehachapi
Photos in TehachapiSee All Photos (71)
Videos in TehachapiSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Westlake Village Intro, 28 reviews, 180 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Solvang Intro, 29 reviews, 148 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Napa Intro, 29 reviews, 139 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Avalon Intro, 29 reviews, 110 photos, 2 travelogues
- San Diego Intro, 26 reviews, 99 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malibu Intro, 14 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Carmel-by-the-Sea Intro, 20 reviews, 71 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Luis Obispo Intro, 15 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 15 reviews, 71 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Temecula Intro, 17 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (88)
Latest Tehachapi hotel reviews
- Travelodge Tehachapi Summit
- 79 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 24, 2013
- Fairfield Inn & Suites Tehachapi
- 74 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 12, 2013
- Best Western Country Park Hotel
- 48 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 10, 2013
- Best Western Mountain Inn
- 21 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 11, 2012
- The Resort At Stallion Springs
- 17 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 14, 2013
- Holiday Inn Express Tehachapi
- 65 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 24, 2013