"SONOMA. THE VALLEY OF THE MOON" Top 5 Page for this destination Sonoma by travelgourmet
Sonoma Travel Guide: 268 reviews and 649 photos
Sonoma. Native American word meaning The Valley of the Moon, per Jack London, famous novelist, 1876-1916, who wrote a book about the area titled "The Valley of the Moon" in 1913. How appropriate. Jack London wrote over 50 novels and many short stories and is immortalized in the Sonoma Valley.
Many things bring one to Sonoma, but the wineries are the tourists choice for visiting. Once arriving in town, you feel as if this is the place to be to remember what a small town was, should be, and is. The town square is perfection in layout and design. A park in the center, lined with shops, restaurants, a mission, and even historic buildings of the Mexican Army and the start of the future as the Republic of California. Wine country indeed, but much more.
Sonoma is only the start of the Sonoma County Wine Country and up the Sonoma Hwy are the towns of Glen Ellen and Kenwood known for their wineries. Take the Santa Rosa turnoff on Hwy 101 and the city of Santa Rosa awaits you. Going North on Hwy 101 from Santa Rosa, you can visit many more wineries in Healdsburg and Geyserville.
I am very fond of Healdsburg and the town square is very active with wine tasting rooms, grocery stores, restaurants, and specialty stores. This is where to shop for your picnic lunch that you can take to a winery and enjoy with the wine of the region. Check out my favorite Healdsburg winery in the OFF THE BEATEN PATH tips and picnic grounds TRAVELOGUE.
- Pros:Small town feel, big wine country
- Cons:I'm not living here
- In a nutshell:American Beauty
Oakville Grocery is not in Sonoma but they do have two locations. One is near Napa in Oakville and the other is in the... more travel advice
There are so many wineries in the region, that I was unable to visit them all, only the wino and I know, apology and... more travel advice
travelgourmet's Related Pages
Sonoma Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sonoma - Heart of the Wine Country"
- "Sonoma is Fine Even Without the Wine"
- "SONOMA. THE VALLEY OF THE MOON"
- "Sonoma Valley Bubblegum Blues"
- "Moon full of wine!"
- "Sonoma Valley"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sonoma
- Hotels in Sonoma
- Transportation in Sonoma
- Nightlife in Sonoma
- Restaurants in Sonoma
- Shopping in Sonoma
- Warnings and Dangers in Sonoma
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sonoma
- 11 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 11 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (96)
Have you been to Sonoma?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sonoma
Photos in SonomaSee All Photos (30)
Top 10 Pages
- Westlake Village Intro, 30 reviews, 198 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Solvang Intro, 29 reviews, 148 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Napa Intro, 29 reviews, 139 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Avalon Intro, 29 reviews, 110 photos, 2 travelogues
- San Diego Intro, 26 reviews, 99 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malibu Intro, 14 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Carmel-by-the-Sea Intro, 20 reviews, 71 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Luis Obispo Intro, 15 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 15 reviews, 74 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Temecula Intro, 17 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues