San Luis Obispo Things to Do Tips by travelgourmet Top 5 Page for this destination
San Luis Obispo Things to Do: 59 reviews and 106 photos
I FOUND MINE, PUT THERE WHEN I WAS YOUR AGE
BUBBLE GUM ALLEY!!! SAY, WHAT! This may sound crazy but those that know go to the famous or infamous, depending on your yucky gauge, Bubble Gum Alley located on Higuera Street, around 735 Higuera Street, north of Mother's Tavern. Chew that wad of tasty gum and finish it off with a two finger stick on the wall and to ensure it's destiny of being stuck on the wall, get it as high as your can. Remember your claim to fame on this local landmark and return to see it once again.
The first one to put gum on the wall is not quite clear, but since I can remember seeing it for the first time in 1961, I have witnessed many a bubble gum fancier place their mark on this 12 foot high by 70 foot long alley. Both sides are filled and refilled and gum upon gum is layered in many colors and pattern. High Schools leave their school colors in gum while University students leave their mark with Fraternity and Sorority Greek Letters made of chewed up gum by each member adding to the total design. Try not to be turned off by the sound or even the look of this alley but look at it as a local phenomenon and art.
Address: 735 Higuera Street San Luis Obispo, California
Directions: Downtown San Luis Obispo on Higuera Street next to Mother's Tavern.
SAN LUIS OBISPO EDNA VALLEY WINE COUNTRY
The Central Coast has many fine tourist locations to visit but too few know of the great wine district of Edna Valley. Over twenty-two resident wineries and more on the way as the family owned boutique wineries of Edna Valley gather more gold medals for their premium wines.
The summer months bring out the vines bursting with newly formed grape clusters that will mature into full blown ripe grapes, ready for the crush in September. Many white wines are specialised here in Edna Valley with Rieslings, Pinot Gris, Chardonnay, Viognier and Gewürztraminer being excellent choices. The red wines also fare well in Edna Valley with Pinot Noir and Syrah having a head to head battle for most red production.
Best of all, the family owned wineries can give you first hand advice by the owner or wine maker on choosing the wine for your table. I have visited some of these wineries and will return to visit others. I call it my little wine treasure area. Maybe, you will too.
Address: Route 227 San Luis Obispo and side streets
Directions: Route 227 from the cities of Arroyo Grande to San Luis Obispo, located in the Edna Valley.
DON'T MISS THIS FARMERS MARKET
Thursday evening Farmers Market is looked forward to by locals and tourists alike. This is a big deal in San Luis Obispo. The main street in town, Higuera Street, is closed down to vehicular traffic to become a pedestrian zone and for six blocks, running from Osos Street to Nipomo Streets, it is a fun filled, action packed produce, flower, food, information, and entertainment center for young and old, alike. Taking place every Thursday from 6pm-9pm, except on Thanksgiving, which is the third Thursday of November or when it is raining.
You must visit this FARMERS MARKET when in San Luis Obispo on a Thursday. Don't eat dinner at a restaurant but show up at the food stalls and BBQ stands on Higuera Street and purchase the wares, from corn on the cob to wonderful pies with all the BBQ chicken, ribs, sausage, kabobs thrown in between. Many types of ethic foods are also available. Check out my two travelogues on the Farmers Market Produce Photos and the Farmers Market Food and Entertainmet Photos. Many of the boutique stores are open as well as restaurants and bars down and around Higuera Street. NO PETS ALLOWED.
Address: Downtown San Luis Obispo
Directions: Higuera Street in downtown SLO, between Osos and Nipomo Streets. Remember, the Farmers Market is Thursdays only, from 6pm-9pm.
Phone: 805 541-0286
More Reviews (12)
- WATCH OUT FOR HWY 1 TURNOFF (Hearst...
- AMTRAK COAST VIEW TRAIN RIDE
- See All THE BEST STEAK AROUND
- WHERE THE COLLEGE CROWD HANG OUT
travelgourmet's Related Pages
San Luis Obispo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Fast times in SLO town"
- "SAN LUIS OBISPO, THE CENTRAL COAST DESTINATION"
- "SAN LOO-is oh-BIHS-po, not SAN LOO-ee oh-BIHS-po"
- "Dont want to leave"
- "San Luis Obispo de Tolosa"
- "My Adventures in San Luis Obispo"
- "San Luis Obispo...SLO"
- See All...
- Things to Do in San Luis Obispo
- Hotels in San Luis Obispo
- Transportation in San Luis Obispo
- Nightlife in San Luis Obispo
- Restaurants in San Luis Obispo
- Shopping in San Luis Obispo
- Warnings and Dangers in San Luis Obispo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in San Luis Obispo
- 15 Reviews
- 75 Photos
- 11 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (102)
Have you been to San Luis Obispo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in San Luis Obispo
- Posted in Travel Maui Forum "Re: Reasonably priced hotel"
- Wrote a Review WATCH OUT FOR HWY 1 TURNOFF (Hearst Castle) in San Luis Obispo Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Photo to "WATCH OUT FOR HWY 1 TURNOFF (Hearst Castle)"
- Uploaded a Video to San Luis Obispo
- updated a San Luis Obispo Travelogue "EDNA VALLEY WINE COUNTRY VIEWS"
Photos in San Luis ObispoSee All Photos (75)
Top 10 Pages
- Westlake Village Intro, 30 reviews, 198 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Solvang Intro, 29 reviews, 148 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Napa Intro, 29 reviews, 139 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Avalon Intro, 29 reviews, 110 photos, 2 travelogues
- San Diego Intro, 26 reviews, 99 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malibu Intro, 14 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Carmel-by-the-Sea Intro, 20 reviews, 71 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Luis Obispo Intro, 15 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 15 reviews, 74 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Temecula Intro, 17 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (94)
- Bubblegum Alley- 6 Reviews, 12 Photos
- Mission San Luis Obispo De Tolosa- 5 Reviews, 9 Photos
- Hearst Castle- 6 Reviews, 10 Photos
- Farmers Market- 5 Reviews, 4 Photos
- Sycamore Hot Springs- 1 Review, 1 Photo
- San Luis Obispo Creek- 2 Reviews, 10 Photos
- Montana De Oro State Park- 1 Review, 4 Photos
- San Miguel Mission- 1 Review, 5 Photos
- Edna Valley Wine Country- 2 Reviews, 4 Photos
- Palm Theatre- 2 Reviews, 1 Photo
See All San Luis Obispo Things to Do