"SAN LUIS OBISPO, THE CENTRAL COAST DESTINATION" Top 5 Page for this destination San Luis Obispo by travelgourmet
San Luis Obispo Travel Guide: 195 reviews and 379 photos
Locals call the town "SLO", some say "San Luis" with the Luis pronounced as "Lewis". Whatever it is called, it is a beautiful American City with a little bit of everything for everyone. From the early beginnings as a California Mission stop, "Mission San Luis Obispo de Tolosa" still sits proudly in the center of town, since the late 1700's, as the beacon of peace and tranquility next to the San Luis Creek at the Mission Plaza.
The town is modern and upbeat, yet relaxed and mellow. The climate is ideal for outdoor activities and one of the premiere events is the Thursday Night Farmers Market that draws the locals as well as those hundreds of miles away. Wineries dot the Edna Valley area and the beaches are nearby. California Polytechnic State University, "Cal Poly", in town and Cuesta College, nearby on Hwy 1, brings a vibrant youthful presence to the town. The scenic Highway 1, the "Pacific Coast Big Sur" road that goes from SLO to Monterey starts right in town on Santa Rosa Street going north, or off of Highway 101 at the CA-1 N exit toward Morro Bay/Hearst Castle. It is about 144 miles of spectacular costal scenery.
Taking Hwy 101 north into San Luis Obispo, all the offramps come up very quickly. If you are looking for the turnoff for... more travel advice
Heading for the coast of California near Pismo Beach or San Luis Obispo? Well, right in the midst of the ocean and sand... more travel advice
travelgourmet's Related Pages
San Luis Obispo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Fast times in SLO town"
- "SAN LUIS OBISPO, THE CENTRAL COAST DESTINATION"
- "SAN LOO-is oh-BIHS-po, not SAN LOO-ee oh-BIHS-po"
- "Dont want to leave"
- "San Luis Obispo de Tolosa"
- "My Adventures in San Luis Obispo"
- "San Luis Obispo...SLO"
- See All...
- Things to Do in San Luis Obispo
- Hotels in San Luis Obispo
- Transportation in San Luis Obispo
- Nightlife in San Luis Obispo
- Restaurants in San Luis Obispo
- Shopping in San Luis Obispo
- Warnings and Dangers in San Luis Obispo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in San Luis Obispo
- 15 Reviews
- 75 Photos
- 11 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (100)
Have you been to San Luis Obispo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in San Luis Obispo
- Posted in Travel Messina Forum "Re: Transportation from cruise..."
- Wrote a Review WATCH OUT FOR HWY 1 TURNOFF (Hearst Castle) in San Luis Obispo Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Photo to "WATCH OUT FOR HWY 1 TURNOFF (Hearst Castle)"
- Uploaded a Video to San Luis Obispo
- updated a San Luis Obispo Travelogue "EDNA VALLEY WINE COUNTRY VIEWS"
Photos in San Luis ObispoSee All Photos (75)
Top 10 Pages
- Westlake Village Intro, 30 reviews, 198 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Solvang Intro, 29 reviews, 148 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Napa Intro, 29 reviews, 139 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Avalon Intro, 29 reviews, 110 photos, 2 travelogues
- San Diego Intro, 26 reviews, 99 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malibu Intro, 14 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Carmel-by-the-Sea Intro, 20 reviews, 71 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Luis Obispo Intro, 15 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 15 reviews, 74 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Temecula Intro, 17 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues