"THE GOLD COUNTRY GETAWAY, NEVADA CITY" Nevada City by travelgourmet
Nevada City Travel Guide: 133 reviews and 319 photos
THAR'S GOLD IN THEM THAR HILLS!!! Nevada City, California , "Queen City of the Northern Hills", is the most complete gold era town, circa 1850. Sitting off Hwy I-80 between Reno, Nevada and Sacramento, California on Hwy 49/20. This is the perfect, get out of town, time to relax, and live those thrilling days of yesteryear, all so close but hidden from view.
The drive alone, either from the coast at San Francisco or the base of the mountains from Sacramento, the state capital, is a beautiful tree filled ride. Coming from Reno, Nevada over the I-80 and if you didn't spot Hwy 20 turnoff, you would miss Nevada City, as all you can see is forest. The buildings in town are a mixture of Victorian Style and brick buildings. Brick buildings were brought in after a fire that almost destroyed the town.
Power lines that started to blight the skyline were taken down and buried in the 1960's. Gas lamps from 1880 molds line the main street in town, Broad Street. Take a walking tour of town to see all the buildings that were part of the California Gold Rush of the 1850's. Also many artifacts and equipment used to mine gold are displayed around town. Also a huge water wheel that provided electricity for the area in the 1880's is on display. Nevada City has become a tourist delight in the hills that once had prospectors fighting for the yellow rock.
After many fires in town, the owners of stores got the message and started to build with brick. There are many brick buildings in town and all date from the late 1800's.
The Independent Order of Odd Fellows has been in Nevada City since 1853, but their building burned down a couple of times. The one still standing in downtown was dedicated in 1873.
- Pros:A great weekend getaway
- Cons:Gets a little crowded
- In a nutshell:A view into the past gold rush era of California
The getaway is to Nevada City, so stay right in town at the National Hotel which has been open since 1856. It is the... more travel advice
You might have come to Nevada City for the mountain air, the gold rush era equipment, the 1860's Victorian buildings,... more travel advice
travelgourmet's Related Pages
Nevada City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Nevada City- Making Gold From Its Historic Past"
- "Relive the Gold Rush"
- "Nevada City - A Gold Country Nugget"
- "Old Time Gold Mining Town"
- "Nevada City,California"
- "THE GOLD COUNTRY GETAWAY, NEVADA CITY"
- "Nevada City - Queen of the Northern Mines"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nevada City
- Hotels in Nevada City
- Transportation in Nevada City
- Nightlife in Nevada City
- Restaurants in Nevada City
- Shopping in Nevada City
- Warnings and Dangers in Nevada City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nevada City
- 7 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (106)
Have you been to Nevada City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nevada City
- Posted in Travel Honolulu Forum "Re: clear international flight..."
- updated a Nevada City Travel Page "THE GOLD COUNTRY GETAWAY, NEVADA CITY"
- Commented on one of SteveOSF's Nevada City travel pages
- Wrote a Review BUILT IN 1856 AND STILL IN USE in Nevada City Hotels
- Uploaded a Photo to "BUILT IN 1856 AND STILL IN USE"
Photos in Nevada CitySee All Photos (25)
Top 10 Pages
- Westlake Village Intro, 30 reviews, 198 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Solvang Intro, 29 reviews, 148 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Napa Intro, 29 reviews, 139 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Avalon Intro, 29 reviews, 110 photos, 2 travelogues
- San Diego Intro, 26 reviews, 99 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malibu Intro, 14 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Carmel-by-the-Sea Intro, 20 reviews, 71 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Luis Obispo Intro, 15 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 15 reviews, 74 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Temecula Intro, 17 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues